opening threads

Trevor Sawyer

Reaction score
Hi gang,
Over the past week or so, some of the threads I've tried to view on this site have failed to open before "timing out". I know the website has been changed recently, but I wondered if is it just a problem my end which is messing things up? Some threads open OK, others don't.
Trev

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Often it can be slow.

I reboot my system and it seems to sort it, as does a good old thump occasionally.

B

Bill Eborn

Lately when I make a posting I get a "this page cannot be displayed" message, then if I refresh I get another message, this time site generated which tells me that the thread has been deleted but gives me sa click here to enter option. Then what happens is that I end up on the Forum index page. I am assuming that this is just my very crappy, old, underpowered and quite possibly senile PC, but it has only been happening in the last few weeks which is strange because if anything the it should be running a bit better because I have taken some software off to free up some drive space.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I had problems opening the fishing reports page over the last week, as I was getting a timed out message, but it's cleared up tonight.

W

Wolfman Woody

And I though it was because it was trying to upload some of Ron's essays. :eek:)

T

tom riordan

Try clearing out your cache in internet options it sometimes helps when you get stuck on dodgy web pages.
Internet Explorer:

Up top in the pull-down menus (File, Edit, Tools etc.),
click Tools, then
'Internet Options'

This brings up a dialog with 6 tabs across the top (General, Security,
Content, .......)

Click 'General;, the look for 'Temporary Internet Files'

Click 'Delete Files', then (if it appears, check off 'Delete all offline
content';, then click 'OK'.

Click 'OK' again and this should clear all cached pages.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Tom you were very helpful with our computer problem and seem very knowledgeable on the subject, do you work with computers for a living.

T

tom riordan

No Richard, its just that I like building my own systems from scratch and I have screwed up so much that I have had all these problems myself, also I trawl through a few newsgroups in the uk.comp hierarchy and I pick up a few tips from there. I am a pipefitter by trade, I must add my job in the whats yours thread in baitbox.

M

michael rouse

Iv had a few actually.It takes a while for my replies to get on threads and the new story(beyond the wood) was almost a week late.

N

Nick Austin 2

iv'e had problems when posing... page cannot be displayed comes up...
X

D

Dave Slater

Trev,
I suggest you do as Tom says and delete the temporary internet files and cookies on a fairly regular basis. Also defragment the computer fairly regularly. I forgot to do these two tasks for a while and encountered the same problems as you. I try and remember to do these regularly now and have no problems. If you have any problems in how to do these tasks please feel free to e-mail or phone me and I will see if I can help.
Dave

J

jason fisher

if you stopped posing and posted instead nick maybe your pc wouldnt get bored an give up.

i have all the problems above plus more an i delete and defrag weekly