Wintle?s World of Angling

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Mark is right. You can have a lot of fun writing for FM, and there is room for lots more material, both text and pictures, from you budding authors. The contributors to FM are what make FM what it is.

Don't worry about it if you think your grammar isn't in the Stephen King class. That's what I'm here for, to put those finishing touches to text and pictures, and I'm always happy to do that - it's what keeps me in a job!

There are some more guidelines to writing <a href=http://www.FISHINGmagic.com/news/articleguidelines.asp>here</A> if you think they'll help.

D

Dave Slater

I, for one, have thoroughly enjoyed Mark's series of articles. Very varied and interesting. We even fished together for two of the articles, Mark's only two perch trips of the season, and had good fun trying to catch a few perch.
Mark inspired me to do my chub articles. Graham is quite right about grammar not having to be in the Stephen King class. He edited my articles and they read much better after he had done so. So there is no need to be frightened of sending articles in as Graham will put the finishing touches to text and pictures. As he says, that is what he is here for.
Personally I think that the more people who write the more varied and interesting the site becomes. We should all make the effort and not leave everything to regular contributors like Mark. I also feel that writers should not worry if their views are different to some of the people who read the articles. People with different views can write articles themselves and make the site even more varied and interesting than it already is.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Spot on Dave, and like he says, don't worry if somebody disagrees with you. That can be part of the fun anyway. Don't forget that Rontroversial Clay and Barney Knowles think they've failed if they don't get somebody wound up!

G

Gary Knowles 2

Bit harsh that Graham !

Seriously though - too many people write what they think other people want to read and not what they actually believe..top tip from me for potential contributers - tell it as it is. You'll get much more feedback.

Dave said "writers should not worry if their views are different to some of the people who read the articles" - i'd take it a step further and say that's what MAKES an article, and what makes this site so interesting.

Go on guys...have a go !

P

Phil Hackett 2

Few points on the above
What a lovely photo of mark playing a fish. It portrays everything about winter fish and fishing in general to me.

Nice to see Dave contributing again to the site, it’ll be all the richer aging for his presences.
I also agree with everything he says regarding articles and Graham sorting out pieces to go on the site. Hell, if he can sort mine out he can sort anybodies.

Barney & Ron are fishers of men on this site.
And there’ll be another one along in a little while.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
With some of the tips and ideas I have picked up off this site, I would like to have a go at putting something together, I hope I can do you all justice. People who can write like M. Wintle and Kev Perkins to name but a few are brilliant, it's amazing how they keep it up.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Phil,

I've said so on another thread and I will say it again. That photo is one of the best angling shots I have seen in any angling publication in recent years.

It beats the hell out of a thousand posed trophy shots. An even some of the action shots in the magazines look very staged to me.

Matthew Black

Reaction score
Graham,

I would love to have a go at writing an article for this web site, and perhaps dare I say it, a magazine, but I'm not sure I'm up to it as it does seem a rather daunting proposition.

Think I'll stick to annoying your 'readers' by posting the odd thread and message or two, and then perhaps I can gradually get the hang of things and learn a bit more before going the 'whole hog'.

Great web site, by the way, far better than some I could mention .... but then I am too tactful to do so, as you well know!

D

Dave Slater

Matthew,
Have a go at the article. It won't matter too much if it doesn't read too well when you send it in as Graham will edit it for you. It is always good to see articles from different people. It is also good to have articles edited by people who do a lot of writing as it can only help you with anything you may wish to write in the future. Go on, give it a go.
Dave

Matthew Black

Reaction score
I do sincerely apologise Dave, and to others, but I couldn't resist posting a 'tongue-in-cheek' comment at 2.30am (mistress kicked me out and the wife wouldn't let me back in!).

You are absolutely right in encouraging visitors to this site to 'have a go' and I may well speak to Graham about how to go about posting an article specially for this site.

As for Graham editing any articles submitted, that is great, and would surely give any newcomer some confidence to 'put pen to paper' so to speak.

Why the apologies?

It was not so long ago that I was editing Graham's articles for a certain magazine!!

Now that's got one or two of you thinking?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

"Matthew"
Am I right in thinking I've met you a couple of times ???

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Matthew(or John?) am I right in thinking you used to contribute to Coarse Fisherman in similar fashion?

Matthew Black

Reaction score
Now look you lot, I'm in cognito, as I have been placed in situ as a special agent.

Ed. I don't know if we've met, unless you are the 'talking horse', then in which case .... we've not!

Nigel. I am both 'coarse' and a 'fisherman' but I have never contributed to any 'fashion' magazines .... as yet.

So long as my mate Graham doesn't spill the beans, I shall remain the 'Phantom of the Opera', and long may it be so.

Now, back to writing an article for posting on Fishing Magic.

Would you like one Graham? (whoops, probably not the correct terminology!)

Would the readers wish me to pen one?

Do I get a choice of subjects or are you going to pin me down? (I just love being tied up and ......... sorry it's before the watershed!)

Talking of which, the house I now live in has an outside 'watershed' and it still works, and the old boy two doors away always uses his, and yet he's got a perfectly good bathroom indoors .... must be an angler!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Here's another clue, the editing job that Matthew is talking about was passed on to me when Matthew retired to other duties and I ended up editing my own articles ( and most of the other contributor's articles) for said magazine. Now I've retired from the job and I'm wondering how long it'll be before the current sub legs it.

Matthew is very welcome to write for FM on any subject he sees fit - as long as he realises I have to cast my editor's eye over it to check that it's all wright.

Matthew should note that he needs to make his details more hidden from all and sundry if he wishes to remain anonymous, by clicking on 'My Details' at top left and then clicking on 'My Profile' and then taking the ticks out of the appropriate boxes.

Matthew Black

Reaction score
Never was much good at these eletronic thingies ..... still it was fun while it lasted and kept me amused.

You are such a great help Mr.Marsden !!!

How much will it cost to keep Mr.Winkle quiet I wonder?

J

jason fisher

even i think i've worked that one out graham an i've just driven from manchester to oxford so my brains not working.
you could have given a bit less obvious spelling mistake for a start.