beachcasting using a multiplyer

tinca taker

Reaction score
I've bought a 14' diawa emcast rod and coupled it with my diawa millionaire multiplyer. I have had a practice casting down a local field and i'm managing an average of 95 yards, this is with 18lb line and a 4oz lead.
Is there any way of casting further without dismantling the reel and taking out the brakes?
Any tips are more than welcome as I've only used a multiplyer a handfull of times.
Cheers...

Bluenose

Reaction score
Get some casting lessons. Some sea angling clubs have casting experts whom will do these sessions for free, or failing that pay for a few hours tuition from a pro.

However 2 things to consider. I don't know where you fish, but don't assume you will cast the same distance on a beach with hooks and baits attached, you probably won't.

Also don't get to hung up on your actual casting distance, time spent thinking about other aspects of sea fishing, getting fresh bait, rigs and bite indication are just as, if not more improtant, than how far you can chuck.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Eddie's right. You're doing pretty well if you're approaching 100 yards with 18lb line and a 4oz lead so I wouldn't worry too much. The way to get a bit of extra distance is to remove the side plate and the spool and push 2 of the brake pads up on their pins until they lock in place (I'm assuming that the Millionaire is the same as an Abu). You also need to experiment with the friction brake, backing it off a little until you start to get over-runs then easing it back on a touch. Once you've got a bit more experience under you belt you can dispense with the friction brake and play around with various thicknesses of oil, but you'll need to talk to an expert about this.

I've just bought a mag-braked multiplier so I'm looking forward to many a hapy hour unpicking over-runs on the beach this Summer!

Reaction score
reel management will go some way in improving your distance provided your style is smooth otherwise a less than smooth style can cause crack offs on a fast running reel.

What will increase your distance (though 95yds ain't bad for a fishing distance) is to increase your arc i.e. the distance the rod travels before you apply power and hit it; for example if you are holding the rod in your hands parallel to the ground before hitting it try placing the rod further behind you so that the tip almost touches the ground of course ensuring the lead is tight to the rod.

On the field ultimately you will place the tip further around to develop your cast like a South African off the ground cast finally developing into a full bore pendulum cast.

Modern long rods of course mean that the lead is travelling through a much longer distance before power application than in the days when rods were just over 11ft long making pendulum casting methods on the beach unnecessary for all but ultimate distance.

Peter

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Years since I did any, but practise, practise, practise are the keywords.

Is it the pendulum cast you are doing? It's all a matter of where you put the power in just before the release.

Saying that, like the other guys above say, it's not how far you can cast, but where you put the baits. One tip I got very early on was look around the fourth breaker out, that's where the bass were supposed to be. I didn't hook a bass, but caught many pouting, flounder, and eels out there.

stan_lee

Reaction score
Yes there are many things you can do to increace casting distance, first one is change your line to 15lb the daiwas have a very small spool the 18lb will empty the spool quick, also the 15lb line will come off the spool with better control.
Going up to a 5oz lead will also slow the cast down a little giving better timeing for the hit, i could go on....
Best thing i did was get a few free lessons, angling times have a list of casting instructors.
Oh and have a look here for step by step casting an videos myfishcasting.com :: Index

Lee.

gentle

Reaction score
If im right this rod is rated to 8 oz but will get the most favourable compression at around 6oz. Id step up to 6oz lead and as Stan suggests put on a 15 mainline with a tapered shock leader, the reduced friction and drag from wind will improve your cast. Reducing your friction break will deffo add more distance. Take apart your reel (Carefully) and clean out the old grease and use the yellow label rocket fuel. This has a surprising effect on casting distance.

Technique wise casting from the floor is easy enough to master before you start to think about pendulum casts and adds a lot more compression to the middle of your rod. Again this should put more distance out.

Get the wind on your back and chuck it slightly higher.:)

failing these not working id suggest a home made Mortar device.

Specihunter

Reaction score
look up pendulum and of the ground casting , for you shockleader it 10lb to an ounce so 4oz = 40lb shockleader .

jcp01

Reaction score
You can take out the level wind mechanism and gain 30% in one fell swoop. The downside is that the reel can then become a little unbalanced as the cage is no longer braced quite as it was. Higher speeds and forces of course means slight distortions so you may get strange noises, as I often get out of my modified ABU 6500C3.

I think its the redundant gears, must get around to fixing that!