Which boilies?

G

Geoff Cowen

Going Carp fishing proper for the first time in years at the weekend and thought I would give boilies a go. So my question is what flavour, size and make would you recommend for this time of year? The water is little fished, very clear and not very deep. It has a small number of carp up to 20lb.

C

Carp Angler

hemp and maize, dull down the colour of the maize if birds are present, especially if it's shallow and clear.

F

Frothey

go with rik...if they arent fished for much corn, pellets, hemp and maize would be my first line of attack. if you want to use boilies, something bright (birdlife allowing) and very smelly would be worth a try - such as richworths tutti or hutchies monster crab. otherwise any of the mainline, premier, solar etc.

S

Stuart Dennis 2

If boilie has to be the choice Geoff (especially this time of year) go for solar pineapple cream bright yellow pop-ups (single baits) and for bottom use an active 8, Grange, NRG or again Solar Squid and Octopus. This time of the year in the UK use a max of 15mm.

Stick either over a pva bag of pellet if required.

G

Geoff Cowen

Thanks lads, I'll go with corn over hemp on one rod and on the other, one of the boilies recommendations. Possibly one of the bright pop-ups, I'll see what I can get at the tackle shop.

F

Frothey

"This time of the year in the UK use a max of 15mm" - why?

lovely to see you back stu. finally we can get some decent <cough> debate going!

S

Stuart Dennis 2

why? because he's just starting in carp fishing and it would be wrong to put him on gob-stoppers to begin with. I fear far to many start with 18lb mainline, size 4 hooks and rigs to die for. In my opinion keep is small until spring/summer is here and the carp and further through their hybernation period. Keep bait small unless you've got loads in front of you.

Frothey, this was general adevice for a newcomer to carp fishing.

Take it slow and build up once your confidence takes form and the car are feeding more greedily.

F

Frothey

i just thought that if you were gonna fish bright singles, an 18 is more visible than a 10 or 15mm

S

Stuart Dennis 2

for me its scale down for colder months and build up for warmer months - thats my opinion of course Dave.

F

Frothey

nah, 26mm in my opinion....

this years the first year for about 5 years that i've got baits bigger than 14mm in my freezer, but thats only cos i'm fishing a water that i've got to put baits out a distance without the boat...the only reason i've said bigger is that if your fishing for carp that might not know what a boilie is (as i'm hopefully doing!) you have to make them investigate it, the bigger the bait, the more likely they'll see it. or use a double bait...

S

Stuart Dennis 2

It opens up an interesting debate and once me and Rik have completed our Lemans Article we will reveal more about feeding carp this time of year and their attitude towards what size and colour pop-ups (hence my point). We would ask Wol to contribute towards this article, but we decided it wouldn?t be right to let the truth get in the way of a bloody good story!

nige reilly

Reaction score
geoff,why not try maggots on the other rod at this time of year i think there better than boilies,try hair riggin 15 to 20 with a piece of same coloured foam to criticaly balance them.pva,or spod or even feeder with maggs pellets and vitalin"dog food" i use this approace "maize n maggot"right upto and even past may.plus you have a good chance of tench bream big roach,lets face it any runs are welcome when its slow

F

Frothey

its been said before, lot of food in vitalin, might be better off with a "finer" groundbait, but hey, if it works for you...

G

Geoff Cowen

Nige, You have been reading Coarse Fisherman haven?t you! I read the article last night. If I can be bothered sticking 20 maggots together I will give it a go.