C

Carp Angler

The Ebro delta?

Pastie match fishing?

"some days will produce over 150lbs of fish averaging 5lbs"

Sounds like fun.......

S

Stuart Dennis 2

When exactly are you looking at Cakey, I might be up for a bit of that.

C

Cakey

cat-fishing.
the best loactions in the world for catfish have always been on the delta regions.from the massive volga delta.to here the beatifull location of the Ebro delta, we have proved the big fish are here by breaking the lower ebro record three times in just eigth months. catches of 689.00lbs by one angler. and every year we are getting so near to the elusive 200lb wels catfish. we know where they are and have seen them on many occasions taking live ducks from the surface. after being first introduced back in 1974 they have spread all through the river system but the fish that are down on the delta are here to stay.they have an abundant amount of fish to choose from the most abundent being mullet and carp

B

Budgie Burgess

Judging by the sales blurb you must be going with Gary Sheridan? If so I will give it a miss! Good luck though.

B

Budgie Burgess

Oh BTW as Wol hinted at the Delta aint the place for the real biggies on the Ebro.The Po yes and the Volga but remember that the Ebro Cats were origonaly stocked a lot further upstream and the Ebro has several HEP Dams which means the fish have taken longer than normal to spread.The cats in the delta are certainly of a good size now.But for real biggies......

C

Cakey

Budgie
I nicked that of the net dont know whos.
we aint going with anyone ,just been given a map and places to fish.

B

Budgie Burgess

Mind you after saying all that it is my personnal opinion that the Cats in the Mequinenza area may have peaked.There growth rates have slowed down rapidly over the last few years.Maybe the cats in the delta will reach higher ultimate sizes? the next few years should show this.Or maybe all the Spannish Cats will be despite (or maybe because of?)their rapid growth rates fail to reach the ultimate sizes of their slower growing cousins in cooler countries?

B

Budgie Burgess

It is indeed a hard question Cakey.The Mequinenza area certainly has the slight edge on size at the moment.It is also an area I know really well.Done over 70 trips there!! Did a lot of my early Catting there so I have to try really hard not to be biased.Due to the long term fishing of the area there are a lot of "admin" problems.The delta is more relaxed and I believe there is some legal night fishing.That said when we used to night fish the Mequinenza area in the late 80's early 90's we caught very few cats during the "illegal" times and when I took guided parties down (we obviously stuck strictly to the rules with paying guests) we caught plenty during the legal times.Despite having fished most of the Ebro now I still feel Mequinenza is the home of spannish cating.

I can gladly give you all the relevant details of licensing,insurance,club cards,bait,routes,maps etc etc and even swims etc.But doing it your self aint easy the first time.Going with an established guide is certainly the easiest way.Despite my not liking Gary on a personnel basis I cant pass comment on his service.I have no reason to doubt the quality of it.I can also give you details of other guides/services that I wouldnt hesitate to recomend.There are also several that I would most strongly advise against!

For a do it your self trip you need too allow two weeks.This gives you 10 days fishing.I like 10 days as this means that you will allways catch the river in the best stage of its cycle (weather permitting)The river in this area is controled by the HEP dams and therefore the speed and height follow a pattern.

The do it yourself option inevitably involves driving so you can take all the gear you require.I never tired of the journey but many find it intolerable!

If you go with a guiding service they supply all of the gear and paperwork etc.Many will pick you up from the airport and supply accomodation.But you obviously pay for this.As a guide line a DIY trip for four works out about ?350 per head for two weeks when I was guiding full time the cheapest we did it was for ?750 per customer.

Like you said a hard choice.Any help I can give regards DIY or guided trips or tackle please just ask Cakey.

God I dont half miss Spain despite the fact it was hard work.The life in France was a lot easier but the fishing never excited me as much.

C

Cakey

Cheers Budgie thanks for all the info.
The main reason for going for the delta region is Ive a mate that has brought a house in the town of Deltebre and would give me a base to work from.
Yes Stu end of May this year.....

C

Carp Angler

that's a good enough reason to go to the delta then, a mate living there will probably take away so many hurdles.
Accomadation, lingo, maps, local knowledge etc etc

Good mates are hard to find and are harder to keep, but if he's offered use of his house then he must be a good mate,

C

Cakey

He lives out there quite a bit and I can go whenever he is back here .
its a 3 bedroom place but the master bedroom gets locked so I will have the use of 2,cant wait for the photo's etc that are in the post.

B

Budgie Burgess

As Rik said an excellent way baround a lot of the problems.

S

Stuart Dennis 2

When exactly are you looking at Cakey as I might be up for a bit of that?