PVA bags

G

Gary Knowles 2

OK guys, I don't use them too often but everyone I speak to seems to have their own way of baiting and attatching (or burying the hook) when using pva bags

Small bags, large bags, long narrow bags. Which are best for what situation and how are each fished.

i always nick my hook on the bottom (outside) but looking in a magazine the other day a well know carper said he always puts the bait and hook in the bag.

Thoughts and comments please guys.

Cheers

Gary

F

Frothey

ive pretty much stopped using bags (other than when using maggots) in favour of the stockings (like stockings me!) cos they definately dont float! i use one of those quick link type arrangements (tip - buy sea fishing ones - about 20% of the price of coarse ones) pull the hooklink thru the stocking "dynamite stick" style. i just find it more secure when hitting a hard cast, and i'm more confident that the hookbaits gonna be under a pile of pellet.

stu did an article on stick's a little while ago if you want to see what i mean.

the other time i use bags is to get liquid attractors into the swim....

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Same here, mesh bags for me, unless I'm lobbing them in with a few pebbles to get them down on the bottom.

C

Carp Angler

Bags certainly have their place, as do stockings.
The majority of my PVA work is with stockings, but bags are used for (as Frothey above) liquids, maggots, dry mixes etc as well as when the bottom is not as clean as I would like and I need the bag to flatten the area and in this circumstance, I will put my hookbait inside the bag.

I also use bags when I want to hit big distances, feeling that they hold together better than a stocking when under pressure.

J

john conway

I use stocking all the time, and to save on stocking material, if you knotting the stocking, I use PVA string to tie off. As for where I fasten the stocking, if I’m using a short hook length I clip the stocking onto the snap link holding my weight. If it’s a pellet with no paste I clip it onto the hook.

M

Mick Andrews

I still prefer solid bags for still water. They are a bit more fiddly than stocking but when filled right they cast better. Stocking type bags are better where you want to use a stiff type hooklength and you don't want to coil it up in a bag and also where you are using very oily baits, as you won't be able to lick and stick the pva when it gets oily.

I must have cast a good few thousand bags out in my time. Here is what I do Gary. Push the hookbait into bottom corner of bag (it helps if you nick the point of the hook in the bag from the inside out, but not essential). Cover hookbait with a bit of feed. Put inline lead in next and sprinkle a little more feed in. Push supple hooklength down around lead and top up with feed. Twist spare PVa up around neck of lead until it is tight and the contents are compact, then lick the twisted bit and seal it.

If you want distance you can lick and stick the corners of the bag down to give a more streamlined profile. If you get these nice and dense you can chuck em a very long way.You can also inject a bit of liquid attractor into the bag with a syringe if you want.

G

Gary Knowles 2

thanks guys.

accepting a lot now use stocking, how about scenarios when you would use a bag, what type of bag (shape) and why.

F

Frothey

bag uses maggots/worms, liquids, dry groundbait - some use them for more range

shape depends on how much bait and how far you want to cast. usually for me its the biggest i can get away with over weed, or the smallest that gets enough food when setting "traps"

S

Stuart Dennis 2

Good thread Barney Boy!

I know many just fill up their bags and lick and stick but for me I tend to pierce a hole at the bottom of the bag for the rig and hook to go through and then pull the bag up to the lead so the bag is now holding the lead and the rig/hook etc is swinging below. I then fill on top of the lead with my loose bait until the bag is about 2/3rds full. I then cut the bag up the middle giving me two lose ends of PVA of which I tie together in a granny knot and cut the ends short. I then bait the hook and hook this back to the outside of the bag.

I use both bags and stocking throughout my fishing tending to use stocking for open water with a fast breakdown and bags for weedier areas where I need to get the bait down fast with the lead and hook bait fully intact.

F

Frothey

a lot of the time i've found piercing with a baiting needles not enough, they re-seal. i cut the corners off the bag. i do the same cut down the middle thing as you can really compact the bag.

wouldnt a slow breakdown (ie a minute or two) be better in weed then stu - especially in deep water?

S

Stuart Dennis 2

Frothey, (here we go again)

Stu say's: " and bags for weedier areas where I need to get the bait down fast with the lead and hook bait fully intact".

Dave Say's: "wouldnt a slow breakdown (ie a minute or two) be better in weed then stu - especially in deep water?"

Milo

Reaction score
There are a few different brands of stocking on the shelves (and on eBay!), but are they of different qualities or are they all pretty much the same?

S

Stuart Dennis 2

Thats an interesting one Milo, they certainly are of different shapes, sizes and qualities but don't be fooled by the prices. I think it was old controversial Ron who commented on the great value of this PVA!

Is my memory serving me right Ron?

F

Frothey

sorry stu, my mistake. i read it as a fast breakdown bag, not a stocking with a fast breakdown.

but then there are brands of bags sold as "quick disolve" and "slow dissolve" difference? the thickness of the bag....

be careful to check the size of the bag with some of the ebay ones...

stu - didnt you look at making your own a while ago? the cost of the solution/sheets is peanuts, its the cutting and heat sealing thats a pain....

and dont start ron off on that "its not pva" thing......

S

Stuart Bullard 3

Stockings for me (I hate bags) and I only put my hook in the bag if its really weedy, and even then I might just use a few pieces of disolving foam on the hook instead (thanks to previous advice from Mr Editor).

G

Gary Knowles 2

Can we please stop going on about stockings - bloody perverts !

Bag selection and bag techniques please...

I assume the long thin bag, is used for distance casting, the small bags for lighter rods, and the big bags for the big chuck with a 3lb tc rod. Am I right ?

S

Stuart Dennis 2

The size is based on feed required to underpin the hookbait on top Barney, the casting and distance is secondary.