Rod Licences

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Good breakdown here of what your rod licence money is used for.

N

Nick Austin 2

you know GRAHAM, the ROD LICENCE money never really bothers me, i think it's real value for money.....

What i dont understand is that FISHERIES dont seem to give a toss about the EA?...

How come we dont have to show a rod liscense to get our club book, how come we dont get asked by bailiffs?
I know it's not their job, but surely they want to protect fishing in general?.. or do they just want to protect themselves?

W

Wolfman Woody

"Bl***y H**l it's gone up another pound, what do they..."

That's the first reacion of many people, but quite honestly, if you don't think that we get fair value for money from our licence fees then I have this advice.

Get into a club and get onto it's committee.
Start to get the club involved in local fisheries consultancies or associations.
Contact the local fisheries department of the EA and know their staff on first name terms.
Find out about all the improvements that are going on in you area.
Put in plans, schemes for improvements to your own bits of river, lakes etc.
Ask if ever there are any fish going can your club be considered.
and so on......

It pays to be involved. If you don't ask, you don't receive. It's that simple.

?23 - 12 pints, 6 packets of fags (?), gallon of maggots, 8 bags of groundbait. Sod all.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
where you buy a day ticket to fish in Ribchester village, you have to show your E.A. license at the spar shop before they will sell you one. more shops/fisheries should do this.

F

Fred Bonney

We have a pub club of 30ish members,all membership registered on the first meeting in April.No licence no membership,no outing!

C

Cakey

I dont.....fishery owners have enough to do without doing the EA's job too

M

Matt Rose

Hey All,

Been browsing through the EA website...although the article provided a good breakdown of what they do, this link...

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subjects/fish/fishnews/?version=1&lang=_e

...if it works, lists some of the projects in more detail. I thought it was worth a look! I think you can even search by region, enabling you to pin point local projects.

As regards to who's job it is and isn't doesn't really matter does it? It would be for the good of the sport and all that...

I've had a quick read of the back of my EA rod licence (the first time this season!) and it appears that anyone who holds an EA rod licence can ask to see anyone elses...however, I imagine this is probably not a very sensible thing to do these days - when you risk a hostile response!

One possible view of fishery owners (only a suggestion, not a fact! and only those who are obviously more concerned with lining their pockets rather than caring for the sport!) is that if a fishery becomes too stringent on seeing EA rod licences, it has the potential to lose out financially, i.e. turn away the ticket buyers who have not got an EA rod licence...

Just thinking outloud....

Matt

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good riddance to them then Mat. if you report someone who has not got a license, their is a chance no matter how small that there may be a bailif in the area who they would send down. Also if you put a report in to the E.A. it would have to be absolutely spot on. Possibly with another witness.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Just about to buy me TWO, and it really pisses me off, EA, NRA, what right have they got to tell me that I have to have a license to fish on private waters?

W

Wolfman Woody

1999 - our little fishery in the hotel grounds - it's only 100 yards long and there's 6 in total fishing it. 5 member/ticket holders or guests and the 3 others have special permission.

EA Bailif comes along and guess what? The 3 that had special permission didn't have licences. It was opening day, June 16th.

W

Wolfman Woody

Sorry typed 6 and should be 8 - need me glasses sorting again.

W

Wolfman Woody

Here's a warning to all those of you who fish the Thames.

You have sat there watching the Thames EA River Inspector's boat going past and you have given them a wave knowing that they never, EVER bother to check your licence. So why do you bother buyin one?

WELL THINK AGAIN! There is now cooperation between the Waterways people (formerly River Inspectors) and the Fisheries Department. EA Bailiffs will now be aboard the Waterways boats from time to time and woe betide any angler caught fishing during the close season or fishing without a licence.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

L

Les Clark

Looking at it it from another angle,most of the people who can`t be bothered to buy a licence,are not bothered about our sport,so the more that get nicked the better, they won`t bother to fish again.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
As I see it we pay are licence money for improvments to our waterways. This is fine by me I get a salmon licence every year works out at ?1.20 a week But I might only fish for them a couple of times. The people that don't by a licence should be nicked why should they get the benifits of you cash. You would all object if they came and watched Fish on Friday on your telly.