The difference bewteen a good and a bad angler

S

Stuart Dennis 2

With a view of expecting a varied array of responses, I thought I would put some thought into discussing the following controversial subject. In my opinion the difference between a good angler and a bad angler in most cases is the weather! What are your thoughts on this?

I?ll explain and justify my views later on if required.

F

Frothey

last week, mild s/westerly's with rain - 3 fish 7pm-6am
this week, northerlies down to -3 - blank

definately down to the weather!

if your there in feeding conditions at a feeding time, using a decent bait and rig, you'll catch. the better anglers just know where and when to be there!

A

andrew jackson

There are a number of factors in my opinion. There is also the issue of what constiutes a good or a bad angler. Some anglers have a natural abilty and appear to be able to casualy catch out of every water. Others are not blessed with the same natural feel for the sport and have to work very hard for their results. Obviously its not as black and white as that because we are all at our own induvidual level. For example I consider myself to have only slightly above avearge natural ability (feel). I have to work at my angling to get good and consitant results. If I am grafting realy working at it then I would say I am a reasonably good angler. If I get lazy and just go with the flow, have a few beers with friends ect they I am never going to be anything more than average. In my opinion the realy good anglers, the top of the tree so to speak, are blessed with a high natural ability but also realy work hard to get results.
I know Stuart is going to talk about weather but surely for most of us that comes under watercraft. By that I mean very few of us have the luxury of being abe to pick and chose when we fish. We plan to go fishing around the rest of our lives and just feel fortunate when we get the time to go. On the day we take whatever weather is thrown at us, and try to maximise our results by weighig up the variables as they present themself.

F

Frothey

a good angler will catch when the conditions ar eagainst him.

C

Carp Angler

not true Frothey,
the weather will exacibate the anglers ability.

If the weather is crap, then a 'good' angler may not catch on the one occasion, but if the weather is continually crap, then he may well have success at some point, whilst the lesser anglers are still struggling.

When the weather is good, most anglers catch, but a good angler will probably catch more.

This also does not take into account other variables of luck, such as location of others, bankside disturbance, etc etc

J

jason fisher

there's abloke round who guarantees that no one will catch when he turns up regardless of the weather,
think it's possibly got some thing to do with the fact that he turns up in good summer weather then gets out his bank sticks and mallet hammers the bank sticks into the hard banks taking about 5 minutes to get them just right then sits there shouting to his mate and for some reason i don't seem to have caught anything once he has arrived.

can't think why.

F

Frothey

i didnt say "always" catch did i? what i was getting at rik is a good angler will work at their fishing whatever the conditions, not just accept a blank. be prepared to move, look for fish,adjust tactics, have that "i'm gonna catch" attitude. nobody catches everytime they go - it'd get boring wouldn't it.

do you include tides and lunar state in "weather"?? they also have a bearing....

N

Nick Austin 2

jason!... i think he belongs to my club, he's a .... MATCH ANGLER! lol!

B

Brick-Top

Whats the sea and moon got to do with inland waters, thats a gravity thing i would of thought, nothing to do with fresh water is it you berk.

F

Frothey

so gravity doesnt affect fresh water then alan? why should it affect sea fish and not freshwater, and before you say tidal flow, what about fish on the equator? do they feed 24hrs a day?

Moonstrike

have a read.

B

Brick-Top

Bloody hell, now that amazing and i've only read some of it.

W

Wolfman Woody

Fascinating. I always believed in the phases of the moon as the best indicator of when to go fishing. Ok, I'll have a cast during the full moon as you don't know if the fish you're going to catch has read the same books.

Winds as well - "When the wind's in the east, fish bite the least. When the wind's in the west, fish bite the best!" Old wives tales or what?

And I do believe that fish can detect a movement of one millibar of air pressure. Although there's no scientific evidence, probably, to back it up.

S

Stuart Bullard 3

What bollix.

Please define good weather and bad weather before we can even debate this.

And how on earth can you know that "fish can detect a movement of one millibar of air pressure".

F

Frothey

stu b - sitting in an airplane can you feel it start pressurising? do your ears pop if you drive down a steep hill quickly? your talking millibars there....

B

Brick-Top (Stu Dennis)

So now you fish out of Airplans Frothey or whilst driving down hills, you do talk a load of tripe son!

Inland seas is one thing but if you are comparing salt seas where tides are concernerd, then I'm afraid you might want to conduct more research as your right off the mark mate!

F

Frothey

yeah, he's in a strop because the BCSG turned him down....after he solved all of carp fishing's mysteries as well. all in 4 years...son

W

Wolfman Woody

Like I said Stu, there's no evidence to support the claim about millibars, but when you're fishing in a match all day and now one is catching. The millibars are dropping slowly and then all of a sudden everyone is pulling 'em in one a chuck. Everything about the weather, temperature, cloud cover, wind etc. remains the same except the millibars are dropping.

The number of times I have seen that happen is unbelievable, well four or five at least. Seriously though, keep an eye on the millibars and when you have a good time next just make a note. Fish's senses are more developed in some ways than we credit them for. Why do sharks detect electrical impulses from up to a mile away?

S

Stuart Dennis 2

I fully endorse your points on pressure monkey, and would well believe the slightest variant would make all the difference.

Moving this along, it would be very, very wrong for anglers to believe that just because the temperature is rising that the fish will feed. It?s the jump between stabilising temperatures that puts the fish off. You can fish at 3 degrees and catch and then the temperature changes to 10 degrees and the movement and time span between these temperatures plus a couple of days for this settlement to take place and that?s when you?ll have a better chance of catching.

Whether the temp is cold and its looking at warming up, the fishing will switch on once warmed up not necessarily in between. Reverse that and you are in the same boat!

F

Frothey

worst scenario is when its cold then warm, high pressure then low pressure, and back again, the fish find it hard to adjust