High Oil Pellets

C

Carp Angler

I've recently seen that Hinders are doing a new pellet called the Slicker Pellet, which has a high oil content.
Considering that the move recently has been towards coarse pellets which have low oil levels is this a wise or sensible move, or do you think that all the commotion about oil levels is unfounded and Hinders are producing a pellet that the fish enjoy?

R

Rob Brownfield

What goes around, comes around! Bent hooks are back!! mono is making a come back, sweetcorn also. We will sone be using Carp rods for carp instead of poles!!!...lol

M

mike smith

What would you call a normal oil content, and what would you call high oil?

I have recently got a sack of trout pellets from Manor Farm Granaries (.co.uk - can recommend them), and they aren't as dark as normal pellets. I thought thismay be because they were of a lower oil content.
The packaging says: -

Oil 20%
Ash 8%
Phosphorous 1.1%
Protein 42%
Fibre 8%

They look lighter than normal pellets, so maybe you could get away with them being carp pellets where a trout pellet ban is on.

C

Carp Angler

Rob
The worst thing in the world for me was when the record carp came out to sweetcorn.
I use loads of it and have done for years, now it will become fashionable again :eek:(

Mike
I would say that 20% is medium to low oil.
I have seen and used pellets that were upto 45% oil.
As an aside, Manor Farm Granaries are outrageously expensive and you can buy the same products (same packaging etc etc) for half the price that they sell for.

T

trevor saunders

the best thing about high oil pellets is when the fish moves on them you get a slick come upso you know there about

T

The Gaffer

I was told by a wise old man that the brown colour in Trout/Salmon pellets is the molassas.

A

Andy Rooke

hi mike
have a look on the packageing the label may say Trouw Aquaculter, they sound like elite pellets which is wot we use on the trout farm to feed the fish. when you feed the fish with them you scoop them into the pond a kilo at a time, you can see the amount oil that comes out of the pellets, but i also know that some carp and ornamental farmes use the amino balance trout pellets to fed there course fish on, the pellets are usually very light because they are pigmented cheers
andy

P

Paul Hawkins

Do you remember all the commotion a few years ago about fish oil soaks and liver damage on carp. As I recall, the reports were fairly sensationalised as all the fish deaths seem to be based around one water, Harefield (I think).
I remember there were photo's of dissected livers all over the place.
I don't think anything concrete came out of the research (by all means inform me otherwise) and didn't the issue just go away as less fish went belly up?

C

Carp Angler

That was the point in my initial statement, that the high oil issue is/was unfounded.
I don't want to give the fish something harmful, but whenever I've used oil I've done well.
No-one has ever proved to me that high oil levels are dangerous.
They all use the argument that we should only use safe baits and I shouldn't endanger the fish etc etc.

They say that rancid fish oils lay in the liver and then in the cold water the liver will bloat and kill the fish.
I was under the impression that oils only oxidised and became rancid in air.
Once under water, oxidisation stops or slows to such a great extent that the oil cannot go rancid.

I've also never seen a fish with an exploded liver.
Are we seeing less fish deaths because we are using lower oil pellets?

M

mike smith

Yes, they are the trouw ones.

There are two addresses on the packaging, one in Preston and one in Cheshire, so maybe they are available locally for a lot less.

Suggestions please ?

(I paid ?30 for a 25k sack)

Mike.

M

mike smith

Yes, they are the trouw ones.

There are two addresses on the packaging, one in Preston and one in Cheshire, so maybe they are available locally for a lot less.

Suggestions please ?

(I paid ?30 for a 25k sack)

Mike.

C

Carp Angler

I pay ?14 for 25kilos.
I could buy it slightly cheaper elsewhere, but I support my local pet store, we have a good arrangement when it comes to quantities and prices.
Because of this, he will order in anything for me.