Livebait

B

Brick-Top

We use lob worms, maggots and such like anybody ever thought of using things like minnoes or small fish. A mate of mine has had Carps a few times whilst livebaiting for Pike. Anybody else heard of this?

I bet they eat Crayfish too.

O

Ozz

I've heard of carp being taken on deadbaits aimed for pike, think there was an article out about it last year in one of the monthly's.

C

Carp Angler

I know this started as a wind-up posting, but all joking aside, not with livebaits, but when I used to eel fish extensively, then the carp used to pick up my deadbaits or half baits quite regularly.

Wasn't it Steve Burke who had to stop using whitebait for perch due to the number of pick-ups from carp?

and then we feed them fishmeal based boilies, pellets and groundbaits, is it any wonder that they pick up fish baits?

C

Carp Angler

now I've heard about it Dave, but I've never seen it myself.
I was told a long time ago that tadpoles were very bitter to the taste and fish wouldn't eat them.

I've seen carp fry feeding before (Manor on Linear fisheries) and they were on them for weeks, to the exclusion of everything else (except the one I sneaked out on chum mixer)

F

Frothey

they were definatley feeding on tadpoles and the spawn. i've also seen trout eating them (but then trout'll eat anything!) - Viva's, and to an extent small montana's imitate them.
it was one of the old rmc venues near gatwick. cant remember the name of the village, but theres a lurvely CAMRA pub called, i think, the surrey oaks?

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Bream and Carp on Claydon were a pain in the u know what when catting. Had Carp and Bream taking Mackerel. Bream luv small fry.

As for Rik hearing tadpoles taste bitter, Hmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Don't know about livebait for carp, but I do know about using live carp for bait.

Good for Tigers and Vundu.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Know absolutely nothing about the subject,
excepting, all fish are cannibals, if it
will fit in their mouths they'll eat it.
ALL spawning fish will stop and eat the eggs

Tadpoles bitter, would'nt you be if you're
mates kept being eaten.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

When fishing for perch with minnows i've watched Carp repeatedly mouth the minnows.
I've had several on deadbaits whilst fishing for for Chub at night and a mate has had plenty on small lives and deads when fishing for Eels.

That said there is little point in handicapping yourself by using livebaits for Carp as there are far better baits.

M

michael rouse

I was fishing on a day ticket carp venue last year and an 8 lb carp.It regurgitated a small roach.

C

Chris Bishop

I've had carp chase lures a few times in the summer - I always wondered if it was a territorial thing around spawning time.

Weren't there some guys lure fishing for them a couple of years back with rubber grubs and things - sure I read an article about it somewhere.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Iv'e had em following flies whilst fly fishing but its hard to get a take, and to my great shame I did have a low double back in the 70s whilst using a live Frog.

jp

Reaction score
True story I've just remembered. A friend who lives nearby came round to my house a few years back and we nipped out into the garden to see the fish in the pond.

Chucked some floaters out to bring them up to the top, but the largest, a koi of about 4lb didn't appear.

Slightly concerned as to it's whereabouts I watched and waited and eventually it did appear with an almost fully grown frog sticking halfway out of it's mouth. It then spat the frog out but the back legs were rather mangled and I'm sure that it probably finished it off for dessert after a few pellets and mixers.

They also eat tadpoles in my pond.