Freezing Maize

C

Chris Warren

Can you freeze Frenzied Feeder Maize after you have opened the jar? I tend to use it by the handful and I don't want the rest to go off but I wondered if freezing/defrosting would spoil it. Any advice would be welcome.

S

Stuart Dennis 2

Yes, why not split it into freezer bags of quantities you use each time.

C

Carp Angler

make sure there's enough moisture (e.g. liquid) in the bag when you freeze it, as it is susceptible to freezer burn over longer periods.

Alternatively wait for the new range of Dynamites frenzied feeder products to hit the shelves in can form.
As the hemp is available in can or 2.5ltr bottle, so will all the other products, including the maize.
Much more manageable size for day to day fishing, as well as being ultra convenient for sticking in the boot of the car or the rucksack.

nige reilly

Reaction score
how about re freezing ! i prepare my own using a process from anglers mail i think,but being the tight git i am i hate throwing bait away,so is it ok to re freeze or does this ruin baits ?

B

Budgie Burgess

Good point Stu.You wouldnt dream of refreezing food for human consumption but then again you wouldnt leave it in a bucket to ferment for a week or so either! and thats when maize is at its best...

nige reilly

Reaction score
thats what i mean by spoiling,were told not to re freeze food for ourselves and i dont re freeze dead baits that have totaly thawed out,but at the end of many sessions i still have great smelling and maybe tasting maize.

F

Frothey

i was being ironic! maybe in the enzyme/milk protein days they had a point, but lots of baits are better a few days down the line...

C

Carp Angler

Nige,
the only reasoning behind not re-freezing deadbaits, is that they turn to mush and you can't cast them out.
Most foods can be re-frozen, the same as most sell by dates are spurious.