what is the highest part of the country that you have caught coarse fish

flightliner

Reaction score
I have access to a small pond high up on open moorland that is above the treeline, It is normally very cold and at best chilly even on the warmest of days at lower levels. I can go anytime of the year and catch tench (yes even in the wintertime), roach and perch, the roach are some of the best you will see but the tench-- not surprisingly tend to run on the small side-- say to about three lbs tops , but it is (to me at least) one of the most inhospitable places that I can go to(imagine going over the M62 from yorkshire into Lancashire around Saddleworth moor and you have the picture) and have plenty of fish on most occasions I go. Not to far away there are numerous small "scrapes" holding water that you would give no notice to but are full of stunted perch.
Anybody else fish such places?:)

Cakey

Reaction score
out of my bedroom window when I was a kid and the Lea was in flood (up to the mantle piece in the living room)

frippe

Reaction score
Fished Glenquey resivoir when I was up in Scotland, not sure but think its around 400m. Had a nice rainbow or two, was windy as hell that day 28-30mph winds, it was enough to put the wind up me when out in the resi in a boat on my own.

thx1138

Reaction score
I've had a couple of attempts at catching England and Wales' highest altitude fish.

Although not coarse fish, I've caught brown trout and Schelly (whitefish) in Red Tarn at 718m altitude (just under Striding Edge at Helvellyn) in the Lake District. I think that is the highest fish-holding lake in England?

It took us 3.5 hours to walk all our fishing gear, plus a full-size professional video camera, because we made a short film about it. It was worth it though to see the face on the hikers faces when they got to the stile at the top puffing and wheezing, only to find me and my mate there with a load of fishing gear. The view was breathtaking, and I caught loads of trout. :D

I've also fished Llyn Idwal in Snowdonia, just under Twll Du (Devil's Kitchen). It think its about 420m. Amazing scenery, and not a taxing walk from the car park. Anyone can fish it on a day ticket (from the ranger station by Llyn Ogwen). I've caught decent brownies in Ogwen, plus countless minnows :p

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
Probably the syndicate I joined last year which runs Wharncliffe Reservoir at about 250 metres ASL.

The highest I have ever fished in the world is about 2460 metres ASL.

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Reaction score
Angle Tarn in the Lake District at 580m .... for brown trout and perch

3211349.jpg

Last edited:

frippe

Reaction score
oh my!! I've walked many of the mountains in the lakes. Helvelyn being one of them. I have threw stones in Red tarn as a younger me.

Angle tarn rings a bell but cant place it.

I'm off to the lakes in July for a few days camping. I can feel a Helvelyn walk coming on. :wh

BarryC

Reaction score
I hope you're not asking whats the highest i've been when catching a fish!!

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Reaction score
oh my!! I've walked many of the mountains in the lakes. Helvelyn being one of them. I have threw stones in Red tarn as a younger me.

Angle tarn rings a bell but cant place it.

I'm off to the lakes in July for a few days camping. I can feel a Helvelyn walk coming on. :wh

Angle Tarn is up above Patterdale/Glenridding The walk/climb up there takes you on a track that looks down on Brothers Water.
Unfortunately I couldn't do it now -- It was over 40,probably nearer 50 years ago that I fished there

MAP.jpg

Last edited:

Tommy Ruffe

Reaction score
Wharncliffe Reservoir, same as Ron The Hat Clay, at around 850ft (259m)

In the world that would be Hartbeespoort Dam, South Africa at 3823ft (1165m)

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Seem to recall catching the odd perch from a few of the tarns in the Lake District. I'll be damned if I can remember which ones though.
The highest semi-regular haunt is likely to be Semerwater.

dezza

Reaction score
Welcome to FM Tommy Ruffe.

Yes we often fished together for trout at Wharncliffe Reservoir, comparing notes on our days in South Africa. And I cannot think of a higher place in the whole of England where I have caught both game and coarse fish. There are a couple of places in Scotland which may have been higher, but I have forgotten their names.

I loved the few rudd on the fly I caught at Wharncliffe.

As regards the highest place I have ever fished and caught "coarse" (non-trout) fish, it would be on the headwaters of the Orange River in Lesotho at about 8,500 feet ASL. These would be a "scaley" species of Barbus.

I have also caught "Natal Scalies" Barbus natalensis on the Umzimkulu River at about 5,500 feet ASL.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Angle Tarn. Hour and a half walk up there with minimal camping and fishing gear. Caught brownies up to a pound, tasted great with the bit of rice we took up there with us. Regular brews using water from the lake. Wilderness camping, illegal, but who is going to catch you, love it!

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
My highest coarse fish in the UK were caught at Malham Tarn which is 1200 ft above sea level. My highest fish were caught in Tioga lake at approx 9,000 ft in the Sierra Nevada in California.