book for sale

J

jason fisher

theres a book called advanced coarse fishing by some bloke called graham marsden going on ebay in about 13 hours

the item number is below it's currently at about 3 quid

Item number: 3596659358

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Got to be careful with some of these books
Jason, I recently purchased 'Fishing for Big
Tench' by Rickards and Webb. On page 85,
there's some bloke called Ron Clay shouting
at the fish through a megaphone, what the
hell's that all about.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

That my dear friend Merv, that was a device that me and Webby invented to look at tench on the bottom in clear water.

We nearly patented the thing.

Anyone who has fished the inner lakes of Lough Ree such as Coosan or Killinure will know how clear they are. You can see every bit of the bottom in 12 feet of water.

I think it is Graham who will remember the Angling Times Centre Spread that me and Steve Crawshaw did on catching tench under the boat. We lowered a piece of crust balanced by a shot onto the bottom and watch the tench take it.

We were missing the bites on float tackle, but this worked I can assure you.

I have since caught big tench using a similar method on Manor lake at Linear Fisheries - Stanton Harcourt. A lovely water until they killed off all the weed.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
If I remember rightly Ron, somewhere in the text of 'Fishing for Big Tench' there is a
mention of your using that method.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Yes there was.

Catching tench using this method is very exciting. You strike instantly the bit of crust disappears. Manor lake was perfect for the method, however the blinking carpos kept complaining about the weed, so the management of Linear decided to dose the lake it with 2,4 D so that they could cast out their bloody silly bolt rigs to the horizon.

Peter Stone got down on his knees and wept when he saw the damage that the weed killer did and I think John Everard did the same.

One of the best tench lakes in England was ruined.

T

tom riordan

No wonder peter stone wept. 2,4d would have wiped out every living thing in the water. it is the main ingredient in Agent Orange along with 2,4t.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

But apparently the dose did not wipe out the bloody vermin - sorry I mean carp. What was left was a green mingey scum everywhere.

You should have seen it Tom.

When the lake was left to nature it was weedy sure but you could catch big tench right under your rod tip in 6 feet of water in the runs between the weedbeds. It was truly marvellous fishing.

What used to piss me off was when a carpo would walk around the lake in full view of the fish to talk to his mates, stood up, wearing a white tee shirt proclaiming Xerxes Bodjup or some other silly manufacturer of boilies.

I told one such pratt to get below the skyline sharpish. Do you know I don't think he knew what I meant. He had a silly baseball cap on back to front; and an East End accent.

Ridiculous looking poltroon.

J

jason fisher

i recieved the new john bailey book yesterday, a prize for getting a question asked on tight lines on sky. i havent started to read it yet but had a flick through and there's some good photography in it.

B

Budgie Burgess

Ron Ive seen the same sort of thing too,gutting isnt it? Same as the removal of lillys,fallen trees etc.In fact any margin fish holding features.Why oh why?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

The only comment I ever had from someone on Linear Management was that the carpos spent more money there compared with peoplw like me who prefer to target proper fish.

So the carpos won you see and had the weed killed.

The same thing happened at Redmire.

They removed some of the classic features to this water, a water that contained proper carp (yes there are such things).

I've only been to Redmire once in my life, just for a look see, and it didn't look like the pictures in my old books at all. Even the lovely willow where Walker caught Ravioli had been chopped.

And they have put in wooden staging!!!!

Tell me, why do they have to do this?

It's a travesty against nature.

Some years ago I went to visit another classic carp water - Birch Grove in Shropshire with The Monk.

Again bloody wooden staging everywhere and lovely tree features ripped out.

Why?

Tim Rogers

Reaction score
Done the same on my local water , been there today for the first time for ages
and all the over hanging trees and bushes on the islands have been cut back so you can see the edges of the islands now and fish right up against the bank.They used to be great features to fish to on the pole and give some good sport trying to stop the fish from getting under them ,now you just strike and all the fish do is head for open water.I asked the owner why he had taken them out and his reply was THE CARP ANGLERS were complaining they were losing to much tackle on them .Its not tackle he should be worried about losing its the people who fish it and i for certainly wont be going again for quite some time.

L

Les Clark

A water i fished this season for the first time in 20 odd yrs,Dave know`s where Im talking about,is the reverse, the bankside is full of overhanging tree`s,natural snag`s,good swim`s,not hacked out,there may be 200yrd`s to the next swim,didn`t have a lot of luck on it this pike season,but I will fish it more next season,tench, carp,becouse it`s such a joy to fish,not load`s of carp,but that is a advantage to me,no rat race,fish at a 70`s pace, magic.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

There is no doubt that the values of angling need a shake up.

Today it's all about how big a fish weighs and stuff the rest.

If I ever caught Benson I would probably have it stuffed and put on display as an example of what modern angling has degenerated to.

L

Les Clark

Know what your saying Ron, most water`s these day`s are about size,size =load`s of money,cant blame the owner`s,they are out for a quick shilling,but it piss`s one off.
I work shift`s and most time`s if I can`t get out to the lake on a friday night, forget it , it`s getting to be a rat race,but It`s big money these day`s more`s the pity.