artificial baits

Joskin

Reaction score
I was wondering what other peoples oppinions are on artificial baits such as rubber sweetcorn, dog biscuits, maggots etc. I am under the impression that they can be dangerous to fish if swallowed and can easly kill. if this is the case surley they shouldnt be sold as bait.

F

Fred Bonney

Why do you think they are dangerous?
If fish hoover up the bottom of a lake do you think they only pick up food items?
What about stones and twigs do they kill fish?

F

Frothey

...and they are attached to a hook....how would they swallow it?

never bothered people using plugs, flies and spinners...

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why use artificial sweetcorn or maggots? what benefits are there?

F

Fred Bonney

1)They stay on the hook when attacked by unwanted small fish!

alan strickland

Reaction score
They float baz so if combined with real bait`s they eliminate the weight of hook.
Carp,Tench ect that hoover up there food will often leave your hookbait and suck up all the free feed because the weight of the hook,line ect anchors it to the bottom.
Worth taking the time with a bucket of water and seeing what combination works best with your hook`s, bait ect baz,use a straw and find out how much suck is needed to suck a real bait of the bottom and try to get a hookbait plus hook to act the same.
1 rubber and 2 real cators seems to work well with size 12 animal hook`s.

Also as said already there good to use if small fish are picking at your bait.

Not sure id use them on there own but wil use combined with real`s.

F

Fred Bonney

I've found the hemp very useful on it's own,the others used as Alan advises

Joskin

Reaction score
Fred.

obviously fish eject stones and twigs that they have hovered up but why would a fish eject a corn flavoured bit of rubber that looks and tastes like food? my reson for this thread is that i saw a young lad cast out a large rubber dog biscuit that came off his hook and a carp then took it. surly the carp would think that it is food and swallow it as it did with the real baits that were put out there as free offerings (looks the same and tastes the same). I would think that that bait would have made the carp very sick as it couldnt digest or pass thge rubber.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Alan/Fred,
Thanks for the explanation, I know they have been out for years now, but I have never tried them.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think there was a bit of controversy over the larger articial baits such as biscuit or bread in A.T. but the caster, maggot, or hemp seems to be okay.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A good point from Joskin as dog biscuits float anyway, so why use an artificial one?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Anyone who fishes for trout and kills the odd fish will know what a variety of crap you find in a trout's stomach.

Over the years I've found twigs, stones, coins, nails and screws, and loads of things I can't even remember.

Some of the stones were at least twice as big as any of the rubber baits you can buy.

I find stones in almost every trout I gut, so they are obviously swallowing those habitually and not as rare occurrences. And I know for a fact that some of the trout are definitely not recent stockies and on a short life span anyway.

I don't believe that artificial baits are harming fish.

Joskin

Reaction score
Graham.
are you saying that if a Carp swallows a 2cm round lump of plastic you beleive that it will have no ill effect on the Carp.
unlike many fish the Carp has no true stomach and this reflects in their tendancy to eat lots of small food items. This means that they dont require a stomach to store large pieces of food in prior to digesting it. (nor to store large pieces of plastic).

F

Frothey

joskin

ever seen a carp excrete a swan mussel? nor have i, but i know a man that has!

F

Frothey

i think you just have to use whatever your comfortable with, and unless someone PROVES to me that its dangerous, then i'll carry on.

Joskin

Reaction score
obviously it is upto the angler what he uses as bait. I just wanted to know what other peoples views are and to see if anyone knew of any proof one way or annother.

C

Carp Angler

I've seen carp crap out very large lumps of swan mussel shell, as well as whole tigers.

I would imagine that the carp would take the artificial back to its throat teeth, realise it isn't real and spit it back out, the way they do with fag butts, leaves, twigs, blossom and anything else that they investigate.

What about pop-ups?
Most are made with ground up silicone or cork to make them float, should we be banning them just incase one happens to come off the hook, a carp manages to eat it, then it actually decides to try to swallow it whole and then it can't pass it through?

Improbable to the point of being impossible.

Joskin

Reaction score
sounds quite feesable that the carp would try to crush the bait with its pharyngeal teath and then eject the bait once it has discovered that it can not do so.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The only question I was asking was: If an artificial and a dog biscuit both float and both take on flavours then why use an artificial at all, are there any benefits?