MAIZE

Tim Rogers

Reaction score
I have fished with nearly every bait on the market but reading through the threads a few of you swear by maize .Having never used it any tips and do you buy it ready done or do you have to prepare it. Also what species of fish go for this bait.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I caught some cracking bream with it a few years ago. It's really cheap and you prepare it yourself. I soak it for 24 hours in cold water, then I bring it to the boil and let it simmer for half an hour, then let it stew for a couple of days. It stays hard and casts a long way whithout comeing off the hook. I fire balls of groats out mixed with brown crumb then fish over it with the maize.

Tim Rogers

Reaction score
Cheers baz how much would you prepare in one go and can you freeze it

L

Les Clark

Baz, I do it slightly different, I soak it for about three day`s,let it ferment,then boil it for about half an hour,and cool it down and freeze it.
Tim, I use a pifco boiler (large) once it has been soaked for at least 2 days,and keep checking the water level , it soak`s up a lot of water, about 3 killo dry weight = about 8 to 10 lb soaked boil for about 30 mins,don`t exspect it to go soft ,it won`t but it will open up and split that is as far as you can go.

L

Les Clark

Tim, sorry left this bit out, bag it up in 1lb bag`s with the water, it will keep as long as you like.
Going back to the soaking ,put ether suger in about a 1lb or molasses ,a good dose or go the other way ,salt, or anything you fancy.

Tim Rogers

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies guys much appreciated. Will try it and let you know how i get on