What venue at what time?

C

Carp Angler

Following on from the weather thread, will you fish a specific venue, if the weather conditions suggest you should, or do you fish XYZ venue on a certain day, no matter what the weather is doing?

S

sash

I must admit I've often applied this principle to other species, pike, eels and perch especially, but probably havn't fished for carp enough to fully understand the waters I fish with regard weather effects.

If there's a nice, new, warm south-westerly blowing though I will opt for a particular harder venue because I know the hard to catch carp will be right on the back of it.

O

Ozz

Through the winter I will fish a venue that is generally shallow, and warms that bit quicker through the day, once we get into april it doesn't really bother me where i fish, especially if the water holds a good head of carp.

C

Carp Angler

That's the sort of thing I mean Sash, going on to a particular venue, e.g. one that's affected by a big SW wind, when the conditions dictate, knowing, or hoping, that the fish will be where you expect them.

Ozz, you always blank mate, especially with GB in the next swim spodding out his 87 gallons of maize and maggots.

S

sash

Cold water carp are an interesting one though Ozz - On a local syndicate pit we were going to do some transfer netting last winter so a couple of the lads took a boat and fishfinder out the day before to find the bigger concentrations of carp. I would say that about 80/85% of the 20 acre pit's stock was situated in a 30yd long x 5yd wide deeper trench and most were in midwater in a depth of 14/15ft. All the water around the trench was between 8 and 12ft deep. The weather had been constantly cold, typically anti-cyclone style with NE -E winds.

Now I was going to use that knowledge this winter but didn't even get 'round to carping!

S

sash

If I use some of my pike fishing knowledge perhaps someone can expand on a carping scale! A number of drains I fish always fail to produce in a cold Easterly wind, others in the same area fish OK and a couple seem to fish OK but regularly throw up the odd big fish at these times. Now the only differences are:

The bad Easterly drains all run in a West to East (or vice versa) direction.

The OK ones run North to South (ditto).

And the OK with odd big fish run North to South but have a greater average depth due to more regular / consistent dredging.

It isn't rocket science but it's amazing how many people just plonk themselves down in the same swims day in, day out with no consideration for any weather effects.

C

Carp Angler

I think that's what I was driving at Sash.
How many of us, despite other considerations, such as weather, pressure etc etc get caught up in a particular venue, or keep plodding away through habit without a thought for any external differences?

I think we are all guilty at times of just going through the motions.

O

Ozz

Thanks for that Rik...real confidence booster CHEERS!!
Seriously tho, we've got a 4ish acre water
not far from us, with an average depth of 3ft. During the winter months you could see the fish stacked in the middle of the lake in open water and actually moving onto the back of a N Westerly. All the obvious features hardly produced a fish.

S

Stuart Dennis 2

What an eye opener that lake of yours is OZ! I'd be out there on the days I wasn't fishing just studying their habits and movements!

O

Ozz

The amazing thing is that everyone who fishes it, casts to the islands or the channel in between them, there's only 3 of us who fish to the open water and regularly catch!

O

Ozz

Nearly..it was my Great aunt on my uncles side who had a cousin 3 times removed!

S

Stuart Dennis 2

Strange, I thought you married your cousin three times over Oz?

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
With a big Sw Wind, and I mean big, I used to head to Marsworth which is one of the Tring lakes, and you would catch Carp from under your feet almost guaranteed, can't think why I stopped going.