Pound for pound -

Stephen Evans 3

Reaction score
In your opinion what is, pound for pound, the hardest fighting fish in the uk? (in fresh or salt water.)

F

Frothey

search back a little, it was debated recently. it was decided carp were best.

W

Wolfman Woody

Doh, doh, doh, doh, doh, doh, doh, yes, it's barbel on a pound for pound basis.

J

john conway

So long as we are not talking game fish, then pound for pound it?s barbel in my opinion.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Fish found in British freshwater.

1: Fit rainbow trout and sea trout. I would put these two together.

2: Barbel

3: Salmon

4: Mullet

5: Male tench

6: Female tench

7: Grayling.

8: Long lean full scaled common carp from a river.

9: Brown Trout.

10: Chub.

Stephen Evans 3

Reaction score
Interesting I heard somewhere that eels were one of the hardest fighting fish yet none of you have mentioned them?

M

michael rouse

I'm surprised pike havnt been mentioned.They fight like crazy in my opinion.

Stephen Evans 3

Reaction score
Pike may fight very hard but not for their size. If tench grew as big as some pike they would definately fight a lot harder.

J

john conway

I think some of you are getting mixed up with power that comes for size, the question was pound for pound. Think of the power that a salmon or sea trout needs to launch it’s self up a waterfall or rapids, and the stamina to sustained the effort needed to travel up a river in full flood

S

sash

Oz for oz - Gudgeon

lb for lb - barbel, eels, cats and tench

British sea - mullet, conger and garfish for sheer entertainment

R

Ron Troversial Clay

It's difficult to put eels and rainbow trout together.

I have caught a few half decent eels in my life and the last thing any of them has ever done is run off 50 yards of line and then jumped 4 feet in the air.

However an eel can swim backwards. And is capable of wrapping itself around the nearest snag in a very effective fashion.

In open water, an eel can be quite easy to land, even on fairly light gear.

I saw a huge eel of 7lbs landed on fairly light float tackle at a NASA fish in at Bluebell lakes some years ago.

The Monk has a photo somewhere.

J

jason fisher

i've had a double figure conger, in my opinion they are the hardest fighting fish followed by river carp and barbel.
trent carp fight like lunatics and ron i've had em run off over 100 yards of line on proper carp rods not floppy fly rods which don't have any stopping power.
i'm still not convinced that people say trout fight so hard because of the tackle that they catch them on, go catch a barbel on the same tackle then comment.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

Tench fight hard but they also fight more intellegently than other fish and that for me makes them pound for pound the best fighting fish in UK freshwater.