Record Fish Programme

F

Frothey

"For example, although the mirror carp is one of the biggest fish in UK waters, they are excellent fighters and are not the easiest to capture, making British Record holder Lee Jackson's 61 lb 7oz catch at Conningbrook Lake a truly magnificent feat. Whether Matt & Mick can match his record remains to be seen, as they take a trip to Monument Lake in Shifnall, near Shropshire to find out."

Would they have claimed it if they had? controversial water and all that.....

D

Danny Lancaster

Please excuse my complete ignorance Frothey, but why is it a controversial water? Just interested.

Thanks

Danny

F

Frothey

The Monument

It didnt exist (literally!) a year ago (dug in nov '02), and fishing's starting this year. the fish have been "grown on" and stocked at very high weights. i dont have a problem with this kind of water (i'd probably fish it myself LOL!) but to catch a fish from there and claim the record?

D

Danny Lancaster

See what you mean. Seems to me like theres one or two record hunters interested. Booked up all year already.

Not my cup of tea really.

W

Wolfman Woody

I remember getting a flyer sent to me about this fishery now Frothey. take a look in their 'Catch Reports" section, it says "Sorry, there are no catches to show at the moment". Says it all.

I like the rule "No beachcaster rig" - keeps out all those nutty sea anglers - Heheh!

P

Phil Hackett 2

Oh dear! Oh Dear! Oh Dear! Has it really come to this?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
nothing wrong with Sea Anglers I will be in Wales over the Easter break trying for a early ray. With regards to the monument I do not think its worth a fish for a year or two as the carp are all being fed on one type of bollie before the doors open. this means there will be some massive catchs as the carp will not associat danger with the bait. Like fishing in a rearing pond.

F

Frothey

at least it gives the nortern anglers access to waters with a reasonable size of fish on a day ticket! LOL etc.....

M

michael rouse

Bryan,I will be doing the same except i will be fishing for anything that picks up my bait.

A

Andrew Miller

That if you can get a day ticket this year! All day ticket had been sold to the end of dec 2004 and u have to wait till september to get a ticket for 2005!

P

Phil Hackett 2

Thank god we still got some waters up here in the North where the fish are of a reasonable size (Not rat fish) that can trace their origins back to the last Ice Age.

P

Phil Hatton

This takes me back to the old row about big imported cats. While I see the point about a water being controversial,or indeed a fish, I wonder where we draw the line, how old does a water need to be and how long does a fish need to be in one before it is deemed acceptable.( What about those big rainbows that used to come from that water down south, Avington I think it was called). I've never really thought this one through before and now I find it's a bit of a tough call

F

Frothey

that what stopped me trout fishing, a lot of it seemed sooo artificial..

L

Les Clark

Not for me,this water,instant carp for instant carper`s,with more money than sense.

P

Phil Hatton

We live in the age of instant gratification Les. I think its half the reason we don't get as many kids coming into the sport, of the few that do a lot burn out carping. It's hard to convince a kid to 'come up through the ranks' like we had to.