Image?

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

This article. in many ways, could have been written today.

There is no doubt that many anglers have to look "right" or they wouldn't even go fishing. I must admit that in a way I and some of my fishing friends were a bit like that in the 50s and 60s. However in those days you had to look as scruffy as possible.

I remember walking through Sheffield with a couple of friends. We came to a shop with the name: "Dunn's" on it which if you remember was a high class men's hat and general outfitter.

In the window were various hats in smart tweed.

One of my friends walked into the shop and started looking at the hats. He asked to try on a few. He picked a very nice looking Harris Tweed "pork pie" hat, tried it on, liked it and paid the assistant ?5, which was a lot of money in those days.

The assistant offered to put the hat into one of Dunn's classy boxes wrapped in tissue paper. My friend told him not to bother, dropped the hat on the floor and to the utter horror of the shop assistant, he started stamping on it in no uncertain terms!

We also followed the lead of several other great anglers of the time, especially one Ray Webb. Old sacking became a cult. The grottiest jackets from Army stores, torn and with missing buttons became "de riguer".

Frank Guttfield set that style.

In later years, trout fishing on still waters became very popular.

But do you remeber those horrid "reservoir" rods that everyone carried? Cut down carp blanks with dirty great centre-pin reels on them.

They weighed half a ton.

And the handle designs. I've seen single handled fly rod handles in the 60s almost 18 inches long. A worst still the reel fittings were designed to fit the reel right at the end of the butt to "balance" the rod.

Thank goodness in this day and age, all of the fly rods sold are designed properly with up locking reel seats and short handles.

And thank goodness that todsay the vast majority of rods of most designs have cork handles.

Anglers have finally discovered just how horrid duplon is; mind you it took them years to find that out, and there are still people today who still actually use the bloody stuff!

W

Wolfman Woody

"Frank Guttfield set that style" - If he did, he don't do now.

J

jason fisher

bugger it looks like i'm a throw back to the 60's then i always think you don't need realtree all you need is some decent clothing covered in mud an fish slime.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The scottish ghillies used sack cloth especialy when they were on anti poaching manouvers. Now that was camoflauge at its best. It is even copied today by Forces around the world.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Webby - eccentric or genius?

A bit of both I think.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

And our Graham?

During the 60s, he used to remind me of a member of a Scouser pop group.

That's it, Herman and his Hermits!!

He was always into something good.

Anyone remember that?

Come to think of it, "Herman Marsden" has a certain ring to it.

L

Les Clark

Noony brought a pub in herne bay back in the mid 70`s for his faimly,rumour as it ,they drunk it dry and that was that!

L

Les Clark

I have to agree with you about Ray Webb ,Ron a bit of both,there were a few character`s in the fishing world then,another one was Fred Wagstaff,you don`t get them like that anymore.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

We should start a new thread on the great angling characters you have known.

P

Phil Hackett 2

Hey McWallet! I’ve got most of the articles you’ve ever written in CF if you want scanned copies. You didn’t half talk some B******s then! Not much changes then really?

Probably other too if I go into my legacy to angling

Only Joking!

Also got a copy (Hardback) of you book must get you to sign it at sometime so it increases the value LOL J
E-mail me if you want them.

Not having the book though!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
You've got a lot of copies of CF then Phil. I've written in every issue since it was launched in 1978. And no doubt I've often written a lot of b*****ks, but hopefully it's been interesting b******s! I've got all the old copies in my loft somewhere. Bring the book with you to the next fish-in.