Silly hats and expressions

R

Ron Clay

I had a friend up this weekend, Nick Melling of Manchester. One of the subjects we discussed was posing, especially with a big fish infront of the camera.

Just how important is to pose correctly when you photo is being taken or when you are seen in the pub or on the bank? The correct hat I suppose is vital.

Any ideas out there on the correct type of silly hat.

Nick explained that when you are holding a big fish it's best not to look at the camera but to look at the head of the fish.

Also, just as important is the expression on your face.

There are many anglers who are rying to make it to the top. They might need a bit of help. Come on, lets have your advice and suggestions on this most important subject.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It was standard practice some years ago to hold a fish and look at its head while the shot was taken. I think the new convention of looking at the camera is much better. When you see someone looking at the head of long fish held across the body it looks really silly with the person's head twisted over to one side.

There is room for various poses with fish, but looking directly at the camera with a smile on your face, and actually looking like you enjoyed the experience is best of all.

So come on. Don't act like you've done something to be ashamed of, or that you shouldn't be part of the picture. Be proud of the fish you catch, look at the camera - and smile!

As for hats, there is only one hat to wear and that's a FISHINGmagic cap. But don't all rush and ask for one as we don't have any right now!

S

Stewart Bloor

The best thing to do if you have a face like Brummie Williams is to hold the fish so that it actually covers it.....I'm not saying he's ugly but he's got the perfect face for radio...and the catapult he uses now is the same one his mom used to feed him with when he was a baby...In fact in his earlier days he was an extra in the black and white horror movies...they'd just finished filming a set and Boris Karloff said 'Ok mate, you can take off your mask now'....'what mask?...Brummie replied....
Sorry Graham, I've just come back from an overnighter and I actually caught a fish so I'm on a high...but I promise to behave myself for the rest of the week...honest...

R

Ron Clay

What sort of fish and how big? I caught 18 fish this weekend!

S

Stewart Bloor

A double common...not massive, but when you're the King Of The Blankers, worth celebrating...Still, in all seriousness, from the venue, a good fish...only 17 to catch you up Ron...

S

Stewart Bloor

You tell him Ron...these youngsters think they're clever don't they...

D

David Will

Not having the book i wonder if Chris Ball and Tim Paisley have a chapter in their Millenium Carp book on the history of looking like a miserable bugger whilst holding a Carp.
The practice was rife in 1983 as evidenced by the Fourth British Carp Study book.Obviously the pose pre dates this book as Trevor Housby looked pretty miserable whilst holding two Crucians(Carp of sorts !) in Fishing As We find It.
Who was the first , who started it who was the weakest link?

P

Paul Williams

Sedge is that weakest link!!! and i don't mind you playing me up when you catch Sedge....i just can't remember the last time you did play me up :eek:)

B

Bob Gill

Silly hats

I shall be sporting a new leather hat that I bought in Jo'burg a few months back. It will be replacing the brimmed waxed cotton type with a feather....or maybe I'll look better in a ESP hat.

Seriously, I went digital camera a year ago and you get instant previews of the result. After the initial outlay on the camera you can snap away to your heart's content.

Cheers

R

Ron Clay

Without any doubt the man who started the miserable look as you held a fish was Frank Guttfield. You had to look as though you were doing this all the time.

P

Philip Inzani

I have to say that the guy I think should get a prize for ridiculous poses is Graham Pullen (this is all tongue in cheek by the way) He seemed to have a pennant for holding fish at weird angles. One of his favourites which I saw copied a few times was to hold the fish at a steep angle with its head pointing up at the sky and him peering up its rectum from below....very very strange.

Also for some reason big Perch seem to invite some strange poses....there was one particular pose popularized by both John Wilson and John Watson I believe which involved holding the fish one handed above head height while trying to coax it to raise its dorsal at the same time...not easy and I wonder how many bigguns went flying back into lakes from less experienced anglers trying to copy their hero's!

As for the most consistently miserable no doubt at all in my mind, the champion without a shadow of a doubt is Pete Broxup. He is the bailiff on Savay. 20's, 30's, 40's....no problem for our Pete, you will see him grimacing above all of them. The only thing missing in the photo is a gun to his head....honestly - check it out if you get a chance.

As for ridiculous hats?.anyone who thinks it looks cool to pose with a fish while wearing a bandanna (basically its a ladies head scarf) or ANY hat that has those ear warming flaps left hanging down as the picture is taken.

Ooooohhhh it felt good to get that all off my chest.

R

Ron Clay

Talking of Wilson, I once tried to hold up two 2 pound roach Wilson style for the camera.

All I can say is that Wilson must have a tranquilising drug that he gives the poor fish

J

John Tait

I have a selection of hats for fishing. A `Thinsulate` knitted thermal one for carp and pike fishing, a light green cotton one (regularly proofed with Fabsil) for drier Speccy Hunting/Barbel days, and a Barbour `Drifters Hat`(don't ya know,old boy??) for the wet Speccy/Barbel days.

It makes absolutely no difference at all which I wear, it doesn't appear to improve the catch rate.
Mind you, it does improve my nephew's `mirth-rate`!!

Jonty

R

Ron Clay

I have two absolutely storming fishing hats. One is the official SA Cricket cap in Green gold and all the insignia.

The other is the South African Rugby Cap with springbok emblem.

Both have the words - "Death to all Pommies" at the back.

Good Hey!!

P

Philip Inzani

......oh yes one more to add, I would shoot anyone who tries to pose with a Carp whilst half submerged in the lake.

Can I remind these people that the whole idea of fishing is to remove the fish from the water, not put yourself in it with them.

S

Stewart Bloor

''Both have the words - "Death to all Pommies" at the back''

Where were you born Ron?