Maver Reactolite 2

Del Boy

Reaction score
I am in the process of looking for a new float rod, mainly for use as a tench rod, with up to 6lb line.

While at the NEC Fishing Show I was looking at the Maver Reactolite 2 rod which although classed as a match rod does appear to have some serious power (will lift a 3kg weight)!!!

Does anyone on here own one? - If so what are your opinions of this particular rod?

One area I fish I need to stop the fish quite quickly! - Do you feel this rod can do that?

Many thanks,
Del Boy

Del Boy

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Brynn,the Preston 12.9 rod you reviewed was the other rod on my short list you certainly give it a very good review,I will take on board all your comments and go and have a look at the preston 12.9,do you find casting slightly smaller wagglers a problem with the powerfull 12.9 rod?? also how do you find it when you have the fish under the rod tip and it surges away do you suffer from hooks giving way??

many thanks
Del Boy

B

Brynn Dovey

Casting wagglers as small as 3bb has been no problem at all.As for fish under the rod tip ,I can honestly say I have so much confidence in this rod's abilities that I never feel I will lose a fish.The blank just seems to give that little more at just the right moment.I do of course suffer the odd hook pull as everyone does,but usually not in the late stages of the fight,I think a lot of pulled hooks are due to foul hooking(especially if there are a lot of carp in the swim).I had a Drennan Tench float for many years before this,and although the Carbonactive is just as powerful I find it is also more responsive and sensitive.As you can probably tell I really rate this rod!!

Del Boy

Reaction score
Cheers Brynn, I have just been looking around to get a rough idea on prices on average the Preston rod is about ?30 more than the maver so I will go and put both rods side by side as you did and make my decision,I very much appreciate your feedback on the rods and will let you know what happens.

Many Thanks

Del Boy.

B

Brynn Dovey

You still out there Del? Have you decided? ,and are you happy with it?

Del Boy

Reaction score
Hi Brynn yes still hear,sorry for not getting back to you earlier.
Well I went and put the rods next two each other and as you had said the Preston 12.9 was in a different league as far as finish and fittings were concerned,it is a really lovely rod.The Maver reactolite 2 I felt was the more powerful of the two mainly because the power came in earlier where the Preston was softer in the tip,with a slower progressive power, anyway to cut a long story short I disregarded the Maver on two points firstly it may be a great anti lock blank but a rod of that price should have a far better finish to it,second point was on price my dealer wasn't prepared to go below ?175!!!
The Preston well I can see why you rate It so highly,unfortunately I felt that as I need to hook and hold to pull the fish away from tree roots the rod would not have been able to stop the fish quickly enough with it's softer top section....(but i want one for my other Tench fishing)!!
And after much testing of various rods I have decided on the Daiwa Matchwinner Extra
Power, a powerful rod rated for lines from 5 to 10lbs, it has a very good finish and fittings and hopefully I have made the right choice only time and a few good fish will tell.
PS. Got a very good deal on the Daiwa, ?126 instead of ?165!!

Del.