The greatest angling characters

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

I've fished with some really great anglers in my life. This is something I shall always be thankfull for.

However it is the characters that realy make it for me.

My most unforgettable character has to be Ray Webb. There is no-one who comes near. He was an eccentric angling genius. I fished with him quite a lot between the years 1962 to 1967, five years of very fond memories of a man who has influenced modern angling, especially pike and tench fishing in more ways than many today will ever imagine.

Second comes Richard Stuart Walker - the angling genius of our time.

So many words have been written about ****, I'll not mention them here, suffice to say that he was like a second father to myself, and to thousands of others.

Next comes Tag Barnes. The ultimate fish stalker. A one time WW2 decorated Green Beret Staff Sergeant who could catch fish anywhere.

Peter Stone is another one. Not only a great character, but the supreme gentleman and total enthusiast. Everything with Peter was an open book. He had no secrets and put me onto some superb waters in the Oxford area a few years ago.

My next most unforgettable character you will have never heard of. His name is Louis van der Westhuizen, a South African who has become a legend in that country. He is the best long distance fly caster I have ever seen in my life.

He has spent 50 years of his life catching fish on a fly rod, including some awesome saltwater species.

He is without doubt, South Africa's Lefty Kreh.

As regards other characters, for me there have been many.

Lately I have met a couple more.

Of the genuine angling characters I have met and fished with recently have been people like Merv Wilkinson, Graham Marsden - I have known Graham for many years but have only fished with him today. But he can catch fish anywhere when his wallet doesn't weaken his casting arm

Then there has been - The Monk.

What can I really say about The Monk. He nearly killed me by feeding me MacDonalds.

Still mate, as a friend, you are one of the best

And last, but not least, the truly great Eddie Bibby.

A one time Scouser, and now a Yorky and proud of it.

But I must not forget Barney. Barney Ribble has the makings of being one of our great modern angling characters.

Especially when He casts into your swim.

Keep it up Barney.

Now let's have your most unforgettable characters.

T

Terry Comerford

Frank Barlow, not only a superb angler, but also in my opinion, the funniest, wittiest, angling writer there ever was.
The angling characters that 'coloured' his writings were unique, a great talent, badly missed.

W

Wolfman Woody

Oh I couldn't agree with you more Ron. Absolutely, the creme de la creme, especially Scousers, or ex-Scousers as you say.

I should have a check with the doc tomorrow, don't want you coming down with Cherry Blossom poisoning, do we. :eek:)

J

John Hepworth

Without doubt, Dave 3phone Gamble. But then you would need to join the CSG to find out why.

D

Dave Slater

Dave (Three Mobiles)Gamble definately, with my mate (Cheesey) Bill Neal a close second. Chub fishing seems to breed characters and, as John implies, anybody who like characters should join the CSG.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Thanks for the accolade Ron ----

(By the way---I'm sorry I forgot to bring my photo album with me I have some really nice pictures of some specimen hub-caps I'm sure you would have enjoyed seeing)

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have only met three well known angling characters, our Graham has to be the best.

T

The Monk

Cheers Ron, yes I`ve known a few too, Yourself of course mate,

The Late Elvis Pete and the late Leigh Moffatt, lovely guys, well missed, in fact it makes me shiver when I think of then gone

Boggart Mike (still alike and kicking thank god)

too many to list really,

Albert Romp, lovely guy, a real laff

C

Chris Bishop

All the guys I fish with on and off when we get it together - this season I'd single out Andy Doughty, Disco Dave Marrs, Matt D, Hammy, Doughy, Steve Rodwell - they've always got a smile on their faces and we always have a good laugh.

Met this surreal character from Yorkshire once or twice. He rang once when I was out, when I got home wife said: "Ron Cray's been on the phone - thought he was meant to be a nasty piece of work..."

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I'm driving down to the fens Chris tomorrow. Not much fishing but me and John might have a go at a local commercial fishery, just to watch a float go under.

Will be in the George I guess on Saturday - I owe you a lunch.

J

jon cotton

Denis Moules always makes me laugh and he's a great PAC stalwart in fenland. The day I took him to a cider farm in Somerset was an eye opener. Watch out for his pickled onions though!!

My great friend Pete Austin is the greatest character I've ever met. He turned up at the first PAC fish in I attended on a 50cc moped,loaded up with tackle,having ridden 40 miles from an all night beach match, picked up his pike gear then rode another 10 miles to the fish in. He ended up in what everyone said was the duff swim then proceeded to catch 4 doubles to 16.5lb. His spiderman impressions in scotland still bring a smile to my face, as does his "jam tart eyes" photo in pikelines. I once watched a spider build a web between his nose and chin at durleigh reservoir, all the time thinking he was going to inhale the whole lot as he snored away. He didn't but it would have been damned funny if he had. Here's to you bud!

C

Chris Bishop

Watch out for his pickled onions though!!

Go along with that. He brought a jar to one of our meetings once.

Evil.

T

The Monk

Oh I like pickled onions, I like pickled onions

just love that advert!