The best looking species

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

I know that beauty is in the eye of the holder and there is likely to be some disagreement here.

However here is my list of British indigenous freshwater fish in order of beauty to my eyes.

1: The rudd. The colours are gorgeous. Those bright reddish orangy fins, brassy flanks and orange eyes are truly magnificent.

2: The brown trout. Again such grace of form, and those spots. And in the sea going form, bright silver with spots shaped like little swastikas.

3: The Grayling: Not loud but the subtle colours of the Lady of the Stream are wonderful.

4: The salmon. A fresh run springer is truly magnificent with that flash of blue down it's flanks which rapidly disappears when the fish is dispatched.

5: The roach: A good conditioned roach is a true thing of beauty.

6: The Barbel: It's shape means only one thing - Power. The Trent fish are the best looking I have ever seen.

7: The Perch: Stripes and spikes, a pugnacious look and some lovely colurs.

8: The Tench: again a lovely fish to look at. Those flanks look as though they are sculptured out of bronze set of by the little red eye.

9: the Chub: Some can be beautifully coloured, others, rather dull and drab

10: The Pike: the look of this fish spells Predator. Some can be ugly.

11: The Crucian Carp. Some people love them. I think that they are a little too chubby to be called beautiful.

12: The Dace. silvery and bright nothing much to add.

13: The Bream: Not a great looking fish
The slime puts me off a bit but I respect them greatly as a quarry.

14: The Eel: No one could ever call them pretty.

This is my list of the prettiest British freshwater fish in order.

What's yours?

M

michael rouse

Brown trout by far the most beautiful british freshwater fish in my opinion.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
2: The rudd. The colours are gorgeous. Those bright reddish orangy fins, brassy flanks and orange eyes are truly magnificent.

8: The brown trout. Again such grace of form, and those spots. And in the sea going form, bright silver with spots shaped like little swastikas.

4: The Grayling: Not loud but the subtle colours of the Lady of the Stream are wonderful.

14: The salmon. A fresh run springer is truly magnificent with that flash of blue down it's flanks which rapidly disappears when the fish is dispatched.

1: The roach: A good conditioned roach is a true thing of beauty.

5: The Barbel: It's shape means only one thing - Power. The Trent fish are the best looking I have ever seen.

12: The Perch: Stripes and spikes, a pugnacious look and some lovely colurs.

3: The Tench: again a lovely fish to look at. Those flanks look as though they are sculptured out of bronze set of by the little red eye.

10: the Chub: Some can be beautifully coloured, others, rather dull and drab

9: The Pike: the look of this fish spells Predator. Some can be ugly.

7: The Crucian Carp. Some people love them. I think that they are a little too chubby to be called beautiful.

13: The Dace. silvery and bright nothing much to add.

6: The Bream: Not a great looking fish
The slime puts me off a bit but I respect them greatly as a quarry.

11: The Eel: No one could ever call them pretty.

This is my list of the prettiest British freshwater fish in order.

What's yours?

alan strickland

Reaction score
1 Perch
2 Roach
3 Bleak
4 Rudd
5 Tench
6 Pike
7 Barbel
8 River mirror carp
9 Chub
10 Eel

L

Les Clark

Impossible to pick out,they are all good looking fish in their own right.

jp

Reaction score
Avon Barbel
Big Avon Barbel
Stour Barbel
big Perch
fully scaled Mirror

A

Andrew Miller

1 Pike
2 Pike
3 Pike
How anyone can call them ugly , I don't know!What I like about them is how difference they can be with their indivual pattern unlike most of the other species which look so similar to each other

P

Phil Hackett 2

In my youth I’d have had to say the Ruffe Slapper. They all looked beautiful after 6 pints of Boddies. Dammed ugly things next morning though after a night in the sack.

The Monk tells me, out of the many, many more he caught, he always found the same thing.
Rather strange that don’t you think Ron?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
A chalk stream Grayling.
The understated subtlety of its colouration in the late afternoon sun is one of the best sights in angling, in my humble opinion.

Estate lake Rudd are magnificent looking fish. I don't know why they should look so much better than their cousins in other types of waters though. It is just that they always appear to look much nicer.

Bleak.
Have you ever really looked at a bleak?
The pearlescant colouring can by simply stunning.

Roach, as Ron says a good specimen can be really stunning.

N

Nick Austin 2

Tench are georgeous fish!...
and of course the COMMON CARP!.. :)

S

sash

Male stickleback in breeding colours.

THE most aggresive fish found in the UK.

R

Rod MacAskill

Although I have only caught a handful in the Lake district I have to say that the Arctic char is the most beautiful fish that I have ever seen.The male is especially striking with its iridescent red colours during the breeding season

W

Wolfman Woody

"bright silver with spots shaped like little swastikas." for a moment there I thought we were discussing Ron's politics again. lol :eek:)

PERCH has it! As Bernard Venables said, it's synonymous with fishing.

Bleak Peter? Their scales were used to manufacture artificial pearls. Took ages gluing them onto a mini-boilie though.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Nothing wrong with the Swastika. It was called "The Wheel of Life" and certainly was not an evil symbol.

Until Hitler got hold of it.

martin close

Reaction score
My List
1/ Golden Perch
2/ Murray cod
3/ Barramundi

Good point Ron, the Wheel of Life is actually very prevelant in Hindu Architecture, Hitler used it and turned it backwards!!.

Martin

J

jon cotton

a proper wild carp is a fine looking fish, shame there aren't many about, although they're probably more common than murray cod in this country!!

G

Gary Knowles 2

I'm with Phil. Ruffe Slapper, not as rare as they used to be these days though...