DO I QUALIFY

M

MEL CRIGHTON

MY QUESTION IS DO I QUALIFY I AM DEAF DO NOT WORK DUE TO THIS RECIEVE ALL THE BENEFITS ETC YET CANNOT GET CONCESSIONS ON SOME WATERS IS THIS RIGHT? HOW DO YOU CLASSIFY A DISABLED PERSON? I SERVED MY COUNTRY IN THE FALKLANDS AND LOST MY HEARING ON SIR GALAHAD
YOUR COMMENTS

W

Wolfman Woody

My sympathies Mel, that was a very tragic incident that cost a lot of brave men their lives or like yourself, became physically and even mentally damaged for life.

However, first can I say that WRITING IN CAPITALS is equal to shouting on the web. Turn your "Caps Lock" off.

My view about disabled concessionary tickets is that the person claiming would be restricted to certain swims he could fish either by being visually impared or having a limb or more missing or useless. I have seen people get disabled tickets and spend every day on the fishery and have fished every swim. I don't think that's fair because they are getting as much pleasure as any able person and in my opinion should pay the same.

Sorry. (and I have run clubs)

M

MEL CRIGHTON

No odffence taken mate its just that I have never had the pleasure of concessions I pay the full price but then again I fish the same venue all the time as people know me there and keep an eye on me but i have seen able bodied people claiming to be disabled trying it on just to get a cheap day fishing
mel

S

Stuart Bullard 3

Well, as far as I am concerned Mel if you were on Sir Galahad serving our country you should be able to fish for free any where.......

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mel,
I hope I get my wording right here mate.
Being registered disabled should help matters along but you allready probably are.
Also some clubs look at being disabled as being wheelchair bound. The other thing is that some clubs have a didablement officer who may be able to help.
I think I'm right in saying that as long as you are registered disabled then you will get a concession on your E.A. License. Good luck mate.

M

MEL CRIGHTON

well thanks for saying so stuart your a true brit.....do yer bit reap the rewards more than i got for my time just a bloddy gong which says i was there

M

MEL CRIGHTON

baz thanks for that recieved letter from EA with my licence renewal to say that i am entitled did not ask last year and paid in full more than some that appeared in court down here last week and got fined for their ignorance

mel

jp

Reaction score
Being brutally honest I would say that this particular disability doesn't interfere with the ability to fish, so, no you are not entitled to a concession.

However, there can't be so many anglers in your position that it would adversely affect a clubs finances, so if the decision was mine I would give you the concession, cos I'm nice like that.

There really should be some sort of consistency practised by angling organisations in these circumstances, if Mel is entitled to a concessionary licence then he should be entitled to concessions at all levels.

W

Wolfman Woody

I go along with that John, every word. Our Club had the policy that if you had a green card you got the concession. Just that some of the people holding these cards were a damned sight fitter than me at times.

My Mum had one and she was going dancing up to the age of 89, however, I remember after that we needed a wheelchair for her. I didn't apply for the full orange badge as it didn't seem worth it. One day I was struggling with her in a normal carp park spot when another car rolled into a disabled spot and a couple got like they were off on a jog. Bloody ridiculous.

And Mel, I know where there's a little bronze medal with a bit of purplish ribbon on it that I'd like to give to quite a few of those lads on the Galahad. But at the end of the day, it's still just a medal.

B

Budgie Burgess

I dont think that "consessionary" tickets have got any thing to do with the persons dissability affecting the amount of use they can get from the water.Surely the issue is if that persons dissability affects their income?

The ability to pay or not being the bottom line?

W

Wolfman Woody

Would you be delving into the thorny subject of "means testing" then though Budgie? It's a thorny subject anyway, I suppose, but a lot of clubs don't even ask to see the green card or any further proof.

I also remember one guy who was paralysed down the left side and his right leg was none too good either. He never asked for a concessionary ticket and watching him pull in a 20lb carp was a sight to behold.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

I agree with Budgie that anyone who is registered disabled should get concessionary tickets because they inevitably have lower incomes.

The EA however takes a different stance and only gives concessions to those who are eligable for:

Long-term incapacity benefit

Short-term incapacity benefit (at the higher rate)

Severe disablement allowance

A war pension which includes unemployability supplement

The EA seem to have approach a lot of things in their own way even charging you 25p extra to buy a rod license on the internet when most other organisations give you a discount for buying direct from the net.

M

MEL CRIGHTON

looks like this debate will go on for some time then.........

after all i was only seeking a general opinion but it nice to see the response...

may start a new tread on the implimentation of the Disability Discrimination Act and fisheries/clubs......

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
whithout being rude to anyone, could I just point out that concessionary licences are given by the clubs deecision. Then touching close on disabled anglers we have the pensioners, who all used to get a concessionary license at one time.
The thing is that this country as a whole have far too many pensioners and in ten years time there could well be big problems. But getting back to fishing clubs, most simply cannot afford to give concessionarys anymore, because pensioners are a lage part of the membership. It's just the way things are today.

W

Wolfman Woody

Not all people sho are registered disabled are on the social or earn less than most. I have known quite a few in my time (2 MDs now) whose salary makes my mouth water. It was John (JP) who said that consistency is required and to that end I think the EAs policy should be followed, but as Barry says, it's the club's decision.

I think you've brought up a fantastic subject Mel, it really is time we discussed this topic thoroughly. As Baz says, even OAPs can't expect much off in future because there will be so many of them (us) to cater for. Perhaps we do away with them completely, even for juniors and have a level field.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

Personally I don't mind paying a little more to help those less fortunate than myself. I would rather see the licence go up a couple of pounds so that all registered disabled people could get their licenses for a fiver.

As a bonus taking action to encourage disabled people to participate in our sport would send out the right kind of positive message about Angling.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How many people in full time employment would be willing to pay a lot extra so that pesioners could still have their card half price? i've nothing against the pensioners, it's a matter of some clubs staying viable or going under as some allready have. Did they give concessionarys out right, left, and centre?
Just as a point of interest, pensioners, juniors, and women anglers who do not pay for a full card, don't volunteer to take half the winnings when fishing a match they get the full amount.

W

Wolfman Woody

I appreciate what you said there Andy. However, I remembered there some retired civil servants whose pensions I wouldn't mind.

Baz, in our club you all pay the same pool money when you enter a match. But if they win a club trophy the club doesn't cut it in half. I think you can put that down to be a bonus for them.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't want people to misunderstand what I have said, I only wish that o.a.ps and disabled people could get a concessionary.
But I would deffinately make women pay the full wack. Why should they get half price admission into some clubs, irrespective of how many females there are in a club. But to be fare, if someone is struggling to pay their fees, then all they have to do is go to the club and speak to the secretary.

M

mel Crighton

i think this debate will go on a bit longer............
i may be deaf but i spent 8 weeks this winter clearing a disused canal in the hope of returning it to good use as a fishery, so i think i earn my concession in some respect, and i only have to be asked at my local venue to bailiff for the day and i stand in ........

disabled but...........able