I'm back

F

Fred Bonney

Just in case you missed me, I wiped myself out completely about a week ago after trying to load my new camera.
Basicaly my system didn't let me do it and I'd had one or two problems with other parts of my system.
So I reinstalled my operating system and guess what,forgot to back up.As a result I've lost everything.
Anyway I've got my Norton anti virus back on and up to date but,I need some help.
I had a freebee Zone Alarm firewall and can't find where I got it from,so before I buy myself a new firewall,anybody got any recomendations?

T

The Monk

welcome back Fred

we,de better stop calling him now guys!

F

Fred Bonney

Thanks for the info.Glad to be back.
Don't s'pose anybody can tell me how to recover my lost files?

S

Shrek

Fred,

Sorry to say that if you've had to reinstall your operating system then they are lost and gone forever, especially if you reformatted your disk in the process.

F

Fred Bonney

Yeh,did all that,thanks Adrian,just as expected,I'll remember next time, all my MP3's gone into the ether.

S

Shrek

Saying that, You might still be able to get something though. I know there are tools out there that can recreate a hard drive, or at least attempt to recover lost files. What happens when you delete a file is the start and end tag of it are removed so most applications won't see them.
I've used some freeware in the past to recover accidentally deleted files that weren't backed up as they were deleted the day they were created.
I'll have a delve for you and see what I can find, not promising I can do it, but I'll have a good go.

Don't know if anyone else on here could assist if they are more into this side of things than me.

S

Shrek

This Site might help. At least you can give the free download a whirl and see what happens.

Let me know if it works and I'll look to get a proper copy myself. Just the thing for all those numpties, er sorry, users at work !!!

F

Fred Bonney

Adrian,only useable if you have NT,2000 or XP ,I have ME!
Trying yours Rik

F

Fred Bonney

Thanks Rik,been a long day putting my system back,and it tells me not to download onto my c drive,where all the files were.So I'll sleep on it and try and work it out tomorrow.

F

Fred Bonney

Sorry it's taken so long to come back Rik,all too advanced for me,so I'll leave well alone.Thanks.

alan

Reaction score
had the same problem a few weeks ago, whilst trying to install a duel operating system set up. had to reformat the lot, got it up and running ok and then the other hdd packed up compeletey.
its a nightmare when you lose everything isnt it. from now on every gets backed up onto dvds just incase.

L

Les Clark

Fred, Just got a new computer as the other one died (so I was told),what a pain in the arse,trouble getting into aol 9,no sound, pop up`s all the time,I picked this one up on tusday ,still trying to sort it out,bloody hard work.

L

Les Clark

I downloaded webmaster to stop the pop up`s, Ive lost the bloody thing!
I hate these sodding thing`s when they play up.