Shimano

chipbuttee

Reaction score
I am aware that certain Shimano reels example the latest Stradics etc have NO anti reverse!! :eek:mg:. If so for me that's bad news:eek: .

jimlad

Reaction score
I've never used anti reverse. Am I missing out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sam vimes

Reaction score
I am aware that certain Shimano reels example the latest Stradics etc have NO anti reverse!! :eek:mg:. If so for me that's bad news:eek: .

Don't get too carried away, it's only certain models at the moment. There are at least four "Stradics" in the current Shimano catalogue. I know that two of them (Stradic Ci4+ RA and Stradic GTM-RC) definitely do have anti-reverse switches and one (Stradic Ci4+ FB) does not. The other model is the Stradic FK. It's not exactly clear whether this model has an anti-reverse switch or not. Judging by its similarity to the Ci4+ FB, I doubt it. The biggest issue is that the website makes no mention of the Stradic Ci4+ FB not having an anti-reverse switch. Buy blind at your peril.

I actually bought one of the Stradic Ci4+ FBs to see for myself. I've rarely used a backwind to play fish since I could afford reels with high quality drags anyway. I did suspect that I'd still not be able to do without a backwind facility. Happily, I managed far better than I thought I would, though there are the odd occasion where I had to find alternative ways of doing things. It's an absolutely fantastic reel with an excellent drag.

I've been told that doing away with the anti-reverse switch is an attempt to negate the possibility of the ingress of muck and water. Strikes me as a problem that didn't really need solving. However, I suspect it has more to do with markets other than the UK and Europe where the reels might be used for what we know as coarse fishing.

nottskev

Reaction score
I think it's bad news, too. In itself, and as a sign Shimano's interest in catering for UK-style coarse fishing is dwindling. The anti-reverse issue came up a while back, and some anglers like the new reels so much they are happy to work around it. These were my thoughts:

The lack of anti-reverse has been a Shimano deal-breaker for me, too. The smooth clutches are fine for playing bigger fish, but for a number of other things - letting out a bit of line when you find you've reeled in a turn or so too many to comfortably net a fish; giving yourself a bit more slack when you're pulling the feeder to the tub of groundbait; dropping the float down to adjust the depth without the whole rig falling in a heap; backing off a bit if you've set the tip under a bit too much tension etc etc - I want the option to backwind. Not to mention backwinding on a running fish or when fishing very light. Pulling line from the clutch, turning the spool or opening the bail arm- all needing two hands as opposed to one to flick a switch - just seem worse ways to do those little adjustments. I already have a lot of practice - I was stupid enough to mail-order a Shimano Aernos unseen, and it has an anti-reverse switch so small and badly designed it's impossible to use, making it the equivalent of the new Shimano's. I've given up on that reel, and I won't be buying the new models.

mikench

Reaction score
i doubt i have ever back wound! That sounds clumsy but you get my drift. I like my baitrunners , Shimano and Diawa for the same reasons you enunciated Kev and i use them for those purposes.

Next time i use one of my float reels i will try it to see how it compares. I dislike opening the bale arm as invariably i release too much line!

puffer_

Reaction score
First thing I do with a new reel is flick that switch and turn off back winding. Have just never gotten into it.

I have a white Stradic, think it's a 3000, made in Malaysia. It does have back wind, but it's a crappy reel by classic Shimano standards. Definitely wouldn't buy another.

thecrow

Reaction score
Imo Shimano are living on past reputation when it comes to the cheaper end of their reels, there are much better reels available for the same sort of money.

No backwind ? no thank you and not just for being able to play a fish using backwinding, some of the clutches on Shimano's that I have owned have taken a fair bit of inertia to get them moving I don't want to have no option other than to hang on a wait.

There are also better reels than Shimano that have no backwind if that's your thing, modern Shimano's are not for me.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Once again my thoughts exactly Graham. I do own a couple of shimmys but only because I could not find anything else that would balance my DV 12oz tc beauties. They're not bad but generally speaking I prefer Daiwas.

And as a confirmed life long backwinder with no intention of changing now I would never even contemplate a reel sans anti reverse.