Harrison blanks

Reaction score
I had a barbel rod built by one of Harrison blanks recommended rod builders almost two years ago. I have never used he rod yet for its main purpose, (barbel fishing), however I have used it extensively for carp fishing with a float. I have to say I think this is one of the nicest rods I have ever used, despite it not being ideal for casting a light float, though a 10grm surface controller is superb.
My main interest in fishing is with the float, most of which I make myself, Due to the action of this rod and doing a fair bit of research I decided to go ahead and have a GTI SU float rod built for dedicated float fishing, for larger carp and maybe a bit of river fishing when I get the chance.
I have to say after using this rod over the past few weeks, again I am so pleased with the action of this rod. It casts a heavier float well, but the playing action is amazing. Not the lightest of rods but certainly no slouch.

nottskev

Reaction score
I'm not surprised you like the Harrison's. I've used all kinds of rods, mainly Shimano and Daiwa, and these are some of the best, but I was taken aback, when I discovered them late in life, to find how good the Harrison rods were. The 14' float rod I have is very good, but the three I use for barbel are really excellent. The lightest is a Fishing Magic Concept 11' - I think it's an 1lb 8oz Avon blank - and comes out for smaller rivers with not too many snags. It was ideal for the Derwent and Dove before the barbel population dwindled to rare big fish. The intermediate one is a custom-build on a 12' 1lb 12oz Torrix blank, and fits the Trent well. The last is the Chimera Snag and Flood rod, and this one brings barbel under control very effectively, and lets you fish in places where the snags aren't far away. Very different rods, but each has the kind of fish-playing action that has a lovely blend of flexibility and power. I always wanted one of their Canal Specials, a gem of a light float rod, but I doubt I'll invest in what is quite an expensive niche rod.

Reaction score
I like Kev have to sing the praises of Harrison's too,I have a 1lb 6oz tc Avon Special,a be beautiful for for most situations on small moderate sized rivers,barbel wise and a lander of many big fish for me,an 11ft Torrix 1lb 12oz tc which is a peach for me,with a Sulis twin tipped Avon 1lb 8oz tc and an Insight 1.25lb tc rod by Leslies,but from Harrison blanks,good rods all and irreplaceable in my book.

nottskev

Reaction score
I like Kev have to sing the praises of Harrison's too,I have a 1lb 6oz tc Avon Special,a be beautiful for for most situations on small moderate sized rivers,barbel wise and a lander of many big fish for me,an 11ft Torrix 1lb 12oz tc which is a peach for me,with a Sulis twin tipped Avon 1lb 8oz tc and an Insight 1.25lb tc rod by Leslies,but from Harrison blanks,good rods all and irreplaceable in my book.

My 14' float rod is a Leslies Insight model - do you happen to know if it was a standard blank ie Gti, or one made for Leslies? I bumped into an angler on the Dane once who had the Insight barbel rod, and I though it looked like the height of luxury. The Fishing Magic concept rod may well be the 1lb 6oz Avon you mention.

Reaction score
No Kev,it wasn't based on the gti I don't think and your concept fm rod is virtually identical to my Sulis,yours is slightly better I believe,the Avon Special is a rod I got from Davis Tackle Christchurch,still sell them,I was given the nod by a mate down there and had a look,perfect for normal river conditions around here,many a good double figure barbel had its progress halted by it...shame this hadn't come up 6-8 months ago as I bumped into Kevin Crawley(co-owner of Leslie's with brother Ian),could have got a definite answer for you.

nottskev

Reaction score
your concept fm rod is virtually identical to my Sulis,

I see. I believe the Sulis had a quiver section, too? I know you don't need a quiver tip for barbel bites, but I often wished the FM concept rod had include one, as it would have been handy for other applications, and I always think a tip finer than a rod top makes you feel more plugged into the river and gives you a lot of feedback, aside from the barbel bite when it comes.

Reaction score
To be honest,I rarely use the Sulis because it's in between my normal 'go to's',but the quiver is excellent for chub,even though it states it's heavy,it's very sensitive.