The Cadence CR10 13ft#3 match rod.

Reaction score
I ordered the rod on friday,it arrived around half an hour ago,first impressions,light(170gms stated),but it seemed stiff without line through it,put a reel on and gave it a flex,sweet as a nut,though powerful,this rod is very forgiving,I would think it would be brilliant for long trotting as it is very crisp in action,the diameter just above the handle is a bit thicker than the Normark Avenger,the blank I would say is more responsive on striking,so it definitely not the same(didn't expect it to be),but for £119.99 post free it's a steal,if you were fishing more for roach and dace,with odd chub thrown in,the #2 would probably be better,I'm going fishing tomorrow so watch this space,fingers crossed I get a few...

mikench

Reaction score
I'm glad first impressions are favourable Alan and am certain you will enjoy tomorrow :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Right,my first days fishing with this rod was a hard one,due to bright sunny conditions and unsettled light winds,but a reasonably day was had,impressions...well the rod felt good in the hand,had a slightly lighter action with fish on than I at first thought with just a line through,the rod handled roach 4oz plus brilliantly,any smaller(you don't get them much smaller)and I had issues with bumping them off,that said,the roach were not taking that good and often you don't get a good hook hold(I was using a Drennan carp match #16),I had five bream to 4lb 8oz or thereabouts,which felt excellent,possible downside,the Fuji alconite single letters on the top section seemed small in diameter,probably not but I'm not sure.Anglers have been commenting on the bottom of the handle being strange,though whilst fishing though I knew it was there it didn't affect my session. Just to add I foul hooked a pike around 8lb,which shook the hook after around five minutes,again the rod bent in a very even and pleasant way. If you are thinking of buying a Cadence float rod they are a rod far more top range than their price makes you believe,

Just to add,I have no links with Cadence,I'm just a punter like most on here,I have had many,many float/match rods,just to put where I think this rod is,I had a Hardy Marksman 13ft match rod,this Cadence rod is far better imo and considerably cheaper to boot,as James Robbins said to me the #3 CR10 is not a power float rod,it's just a crisper slightly more powerful rod,if anyone wants to have a look at the rod(as you can't in the shops)and your fairly local to Luton,I'd be be happy to meet up and see what you think,be in no doubt this isn't a pure and simple silver fish rod,from what I gather that is left to the #1 & #2 rods,Silver's and Rob48 have those of you have questions about those PM them...

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
How does it compare(may be too early to say) with say an Acolyte Plus Alan?

Reaction score
It's a fraction heavier I believe Mike,personally I think it's as good a rod,but I haven't fished with one,by the start of the season I will let you know,because a mate of mine has two and when I'm crucian fishing,I will take the cadence along and ask him to bring his a/plus along,not to fish with,but to compare notes for you,I will be using my titan 2000 12ft for the cru's.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Got that sorted,my mate is keen to compare the two....

Reaction score
Just looked at Drennan site and the 13ft plus is 150g,a full 20g lighter than the cadence,is that an issue,I don't really know,all depends on the balance of the rod.

mikench

Reaction score
You were up early Alan! Needed to have a look at your new rod! I do that all the time! 20g is 0.7 oz so not a lot in the real world. Can it make that much difference even if the rod is held for long periods of time? I feel it might if the rod was held in the same position for long periods of time but in reality it isn't!

I often feel a 24g feeder next to a 28g feeder in the hand and I cannot discern any difference.

sam vimes

Reaction score
is that an issue,I don't really know,all depends on the balance of the rod.

On a thirteen foot rod that is equally well balanced it is barely discernable. Weight differences tend to become really noticeable on rods in excess of 13ft, rods that are tip heavy, rods that have too light a reel fitted or rods that are held all day. Stillwater anglers, whose rod is likely to spend much of its time in rests barely even need to consider a rods weight.

Reaction score
You were up early Alan! Needed to have a look at your new rod! I do that all the time! 20g is 0.7 oz so not a lot in the real world. Can it make that much difference even if the rod is held for long periods of time? I feel it might if the rod was held in the same position for long periods of time but in reality it isn't!

I often feel a 24g feeder next to a 28g feeder in the hand and I cannot discern any difference.

Mike,I woke at 3am with an acid reflux,didn't get back to sleep,so ended up in the bath before 4am as I had a hospital appointment at 9am,turns out I don't have Ankylosing Spondulitus,but do have spondulopathy (don't ask),arthritic condition,another one to my list...lol.

mikench

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Alan, this ageing thing is not at all nice and I want a cure. Enjoy the rod while you can.:)

Reaction score
I'm not that bad ffs,as it's hereditary and my sister and nephew have it in one way or another,I was told to have it checked,as it stands I'm like every other doddery old beggar on here,getting age related aches and pains,lol...

dalesman

Reaction score
I have both the Cadence 13' and 14' 2# also own a Drennan acolyte 13' which had a smashed tip, now replaced. I prefer my Cadence the 13' with fixed spool and waggler and the 14' with pin and bolo/chubber float on my local river great from every thing from Grayling to big Chub with no flat spots.

The only down side is the cork quality not bad but could be better.

The 3# series has been designed for trotting for Barbel.