Shimano Stradic C14+ RA review ....

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
10 years ago I sold all my Shimano aero match reels and bought 4 Daiwa TDX reels. 2x2508 and 2x3012 sizes. These set me back over £1000!
The 2508 size have been used the most and are beginning to show signs of wear and tear, I toyed with the idea of getting them serviced by Daiwa but for the cost I could buy another reel.
I looked at the current 2508 TDX and at £235 I thought I’d look at the competition.
I ended up buying a Stradic C14+ RA 2500 size.
This has rear drag which I was unsure if I’d like but so far it’s been great. I tend to keep it on the same tension which suits my fishing, but I have utilised the fighting drag on occasions, which once I got used to, is less of a fumble than I first imagined.
Like the Daiwa reels it has one touch spool removal but lacks the one touch fold down handle.
The handle can be folded down by turning it backwards. I like the spool reducer idea and also the angled edge on the lip of the spool makes for smooth casting.
On the whole I like the lightness of it, although the bale arm seems a little thin and flimsy, but I suppose that add to its lightness.
I have also noticed when retrieving line, a slight wobble, the cause of which I can’t identify?
For £140 I feel I’ve got my money’s worth, only time will tell how long it lasts.

758-BC29-B-62-A2-482-C-B21-A-CF050-F4-F4-D4-B.jpg

mikench

Reaction score
I have the 4000 size and it's my favourite reel. It's light reliable so far and has handled small roach and 10lb+ carp. I would buy another tomorrow. I love the fighting drag and use it a lot when a larger fish is caught whilst float fishing. I also got it for £99 with free postage from Tackle Uk who had it on offer. Thanks again to Sam Vimes for the tip off.

Glad you like it Simon and I'm sure it will give good service.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Vastly under-rated and largely ignored reels. I'd go as far as saying that I reckon these are the best current Shimano reels for general UK coarse fishing. I'd not normally bother with reels smaller than 3000 size, but the oversized spool makes the 2500 perfectly acceptable to me. Those little bits of black plastic, that are the spool reducers, make one hell of a difference. For the pennies they must cost, all reel manufacturers should include them. Few UK coarse anglers need any more than 150 yards of line on a reel. I also really like the EVA handles. A word of warning on those, keep them as clean as you can for the long term. A build up of crud can leave them shiny and slippy.

I know that some folks do have an issue with the bail arms, but I've got the same type on reels that are ten years old and still going strong. My only issue with the Ci4+ RA Stradics is that the drag isn't quite as good as some front drag models, or the Twinpower Ci4 RA Tri-Drags that predate them. If the Ci4+ material and the oversized spool of the Stradic could be transplanted onto the Twinpowers, I'd have my perfect fixed spool reels.

I have lots of the Twinpowers, including back up spares. I have just one of each size Stradic. Even the 4000 size Stradic is light enough for a 13'+ float rod.Itend to choose the Stradics for lighter line work. The ease of casting due to the oversized spools means that I can get away with really light floats yet still cast them a good distance.

Shimano have got an awful lot right with the Stradic reels. Unfortunately, they are rear drag and couldn't be much less fashionable if they tried.

Last edited:

hague01

Reaction score
I come been through just about the entire shimano rear drag reels with exception of the c14+ tri drags .Tried to get those but they are like hens teeth.By far the best in mho is the bio's. They were available I think just for a year of so in UK but over the last 2 years i have bought 2 x 3ooo's new plus 6 from Italy. 2 x 4ks. 2 x 3 and 2 x 2500.I also have 2x black c14+ stradics but not sure they are an improvement on the bio RA's.Went over to caldia but a reel pain as the handle totally detracts.Tried a tdr, and agree the handle press clip is superb but prone to tangle like nothing I have ever had so that went! I am going to get rid of the stradics and the caldias too and just rely on the bios

mikench

Reaction score
I prefer rear drag as you can swap spools at will and your settings remain the same. I also like the fighting drag.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I come been through just about the entire shimano rear drag reels with exception of the c14+ tri drags .Tried to get those but they are like hens teeth.By far the best in mho is the bio's. They were available I think just for a year of so in UK but over the last 2 years i have bought 2 x 3ooo's new plus 6 from Italy. 2 x 4ks. 2 x 3 and 2 x 2500.I also have 2x black c14+ stradics but not sure they are an improvement on the bio RA's.Went over to caldia but a reel pain as the handle totally detracts.Tried a tdr, and agree the handle press clip is superb but prone to tangle like nothing I have ever had so that went! I am going to get rid of the stradics and the caldias too and just rely on the bios

I have one of those Tri drag Shimano reels and I think it’s great and very versatile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk