Hook Length Storage.

bracket

Reaction score
As a relic of my match fishing days I like to carry around 150-200 pre-tied hooks. In the past I have use translucent paper packets in wallets, which were OK, but difficult to keep dry and reuse. Tried resealable plastic bags, which were a pain to use, because of the static reaction with the nylon. Took me longer to put a hook in a bag than it did to tie one. The last 10 years I have been using the 6 inch Preston Innovations hook wallet, which has been pretty good. One or two small issues but nothing serious. I came across the new PI MAG hook storage box by accident, when watching a YouTube video. Bought one the other day, and I am impressed with it, the MAG Box is on the left and my previous PI wallet on the right:

[url=https://postimg.cc/kBR2xVqG] [/URL]
The winders, holding the hooks, are removable and retained magnetically in the case. The winders hook and loop retaining post edges are serrated, so each hook length is individually located. I got the 15cm (6") version, which contains 10 winders. This suits all my pole fishing requirements. So it seems to be a durable, compact, well designed and easy to use product. I am in the process of filling it now. The only minor criticism I have this. Most hook suppliers, PI included, sell hooks in packets of 10, yet the designers of the MAG box have opted for the hook winders to house only 8 hooks, strange. At £18 It is not the cheapest option, but for me it does what I want, so money well spent. Pete.

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
As a relic of my match fishing days I like to carry around 150-200 pre-tied hooks. In the past I have use translucent paper packets which were OK but a pain to keep and reuse. Tried resealable plastic bags which were a pain to use because of the static reaction with the nylon. Took me longer to put a hook in a bag than it did to tie one. The last 10 years I have been using the 6 inch Preston Innovations hook wallet, which has been pretty good. One or two small issues but nothing serious. I came across the new PI MAG hook storage box by accident, when watching a YouTube video.
View attachment 7133

gremlins ! I could see your photo when I just looked Pete but now it says attachment 7133

Any way I buy my hooks Like this now they store very well but I wish they would just put the breaking strain on !

Can you tie them to a specific length ? I cant

rich66

Reaction score
I’ll have to google as it’s not showing anything. I use a stonfo 200 one at the moment. I think it’s a little short would like to have longer hook length for float fishing.

bracket

Reaction score
I get the photo OK Paul no problem. Anyway tie to a specific length? Certainly. One simple way is to put two nails in a piece of wood at the hook length you want, eg 12". Leave the head on one nail and remove the other nail head. Next tie the hook. Once done put the hook round the nail with the head on (this stops the hook coming off the nail). Then take the line round the headless nail and back towards the hook. Pinch the loop formed by taking the line round the headless nail and slide the held loop off the nail. Tie a figure of 8 knot to form a permanent loop. This will give you a pretty regular hook length consistently. If you have a problem with this I could do a video the demonstrate. Pete

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I prefer these Preston boxes to the Guru ones I used previously, I like the use of removable winders.

shane99

Reaction score
I like the Gardner mini rig bin , easy to get a bit crowded though & you have to remember your breaking strains.