J W Young’s Superlightweight reel

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
J W Young Super Lightweight Centrepin Reel | Angling Direct
I was looking to buy new one of these to match with an Acolyte Plus or Drennan Floatmaster rod. Before I parted with my hard earned. I saw one for sale on a centrepin website. It was going for a fraction of the new price and was advertised as without; box, bag or papers. When it arrived it was absolutely mint. I am writing a review on the reel as the reel is still a current Young’s model.

My reel didn’t seem to spin for quite as long as I thought it should. Rather than lubricate the bearings which are the shielded type I thought I would upgrade them to abec7 bearings which are of a higher tolerance than standard. This improved the free spinning time by 30%, so proved a worthwhile effort. Free spinning time in itself means very little but it does show if you have made an improvement.

I have and have had a fair few centrepins and why they put the check lever anywhere but on the front edge of the backplate is anybody’s guess. Anyway the lightweight’s is where it should be. I have a Sheffield and although it’s a nice reel I don’t like fumbling on the blind side to engage or disengage the ratchet. The reels lightness is achieved by slotting both the spool and backplate. Something else I prefer is one piece spools as they don’t kink the line into a series of flats. The line comes off the Lightweights drum impeccably. Wallis casting is also made easier due to the low weight of the drum and the reduced flywheel effect. I have given it a few outings and I am delighted with it. I think centrepins are generally overpriced and I struck lucky with mine but if I hadn’t then I would have had to pay full price which I would have done. I am delighted with it.
6b554b8063be4fa74caa571f32f85702.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have and have had a fair few centrepins and why they put the check lever anywhere but on the front edge of the backplate is anybody’s guess.

I have developed a similar preference in centrepins. There are a few different styles of lever/switch/button that I can cope with, but a front edge lever or switch (Youngs reels tend to have one or the other) are my preferred method. Any knob/button that requires a twist to operate (Okuma/Allcocks etc) is not really for me.

However, I know a few centrepin users that don't like front edge levers. I guess it's just another of those pesky preference things.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a couple of Youngs reels with the ratchet lever on the rim of the backplate, but I prefer the up and down button as is on the bewick.
I got this one just as the season closed last year and had to waiit until it opened before using it. The reel has a lever switch same as the BJ but it also has a ratchet tensioing knob on the back for legering in stronger flows....

These FJT reels have my prefered ratchet button....

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I have a couple of Youngs reels with the ratchet lever on the rim of the backplate, but I prefer the up and down button as is on the bewick.
I got this one just as the season closed last year and had to waiit until it opened before using it. The reel has a lever switch same as the BJ but it also has a ratchet tensioing knob on the back for legering in stronger flows....

These FJT reels have my prefered ratchet button....

The ratchet tensioner seems a good idea.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Very much like my favourite 'ancient' Youngs BJ Lightweight Ray - they never did the Superlightweight version of it in those days..........My first choice trotting and margins pin.

PS I don't normally fish for carp using the 14' Accy Ultra with 2lb line and a size 20 - but if one gate crashes a crucian session no probs...................:)

april 2018 crp.jpg

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The ratchet tensioner seems a good idea.

To be honest Ray, I haven't used the drag yet, but it is a handy thing to have if legering in a river that's pushing through.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I have developed a similar preference in centrepins. There are a few different styles of lever/switch/button that I can cope with, but a front edge lever or switch (Youngs reels tend to have one or the other) are my preferred method. Any knob/button that requires a twist to operate (Okuma/Allcocks etc) is not really for me.

However, I know a few centrepin users that don't like front edge levers. I guess it's just another of those pesky preference things.

I totally agree. I have all types but the front edge lever is, to my mind, in exactly the right place and requires little thought [ or effort] to operate. I wish my Bewick had one....the uppy down button is OK but not as easy to find or operate as the Youngs lever. The Okuma Sheffield is a great reel but the twist button is an abomination. Its far too stiff to operate with one finger....assuming you can even reach it. I end up fumbling with my other hand which is a right pain and probably why my Sheffield doesnt see as much bank time as the other pins in my armoury.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I totally agree. I have all types but the front edge lever is, to my mind, in exactly the right place and requires little thought [ or effort] to operate. I wish my Bewick had one....the uppy down button is OK but not as easy to find or operate as the Youngs lever. The Okuma Sheffield is a great reel but the twist button is an abomination. Its far too stiff to operate with one finger....assuming you can even reach it. I end up fumbling with my other hand which is a right pain and probably why my Sheffield doesnt see as much bank time as the other pins in my armoury.

That twist button is awful, they are nice otherwise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk