Elastic

Paste paul

Reaction score
Any of you guys out there thinking about changing your pole elastic for carping?
Well I’ve bought and tried SRG hollow pole elastic.....
They do a smart priced one £3.99 for 3m they call it mega value....
It’s absolutely brilliant I can’t see the difference to other hollow elastic only in price....
The material it’s made from is very much like the matrix slik only it’s hollow.......
I bought some 12-14 and 14-16 it stretches well but has power to handle big fish.....
I’ve landed silvers up to 3lb and carp up to 10lb all on the same stuff....
It knots really well too!
Can’t vouch for longevity but I can’t see it been a problem.....
I don’t use puller bungs I use winder bungs so I can re-tie the stonfo at regular intervals this way I should get 12 months out of each length....

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have a lot of Preston Hollo In my topkits along with Preton slip.
Also Nick Gilbert elastic in other topkits and short length of 18solid in hook and hold margin pole
For main margin pole its Drennan Bungee,. 14,s through to 18,s, where is the elastic you got from.?
All mine on side pullers apart from solid 8 set Scottish and double number 6 ,these are in match kits with number one section removed and on winder bungs, others on side pullers

Last edited:

Paste paul

Reaction score
I have a lot of Preston Hollo In my topkits along with Preton slip.
Also Nick Gilbert elastic in other topkits and short length of 18solid in hook and hold margin pole
For main margin pole its Drennan Bungee,. 14,s through to 18,s, where is the elastic you got from.?
All mine on side pullers apart from solid 8 set Scottish and double number 6 ,these are in match kits with number one section removed and on winder bungs, others on side pullers

Type in srg floats

SRG Pole Floats

It really is good stuff pal...... I wouldn’t recommend it otherwise..... having said that people have different preferences....
I normally use solid elastic and simply wouldn’t pay between £10 and £15 for elastic....... I normally do four kits for that amount..

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Type in srg floats

SRG Pole Floats

It really is good stuff pal...... I wouldn’t recommend it otherwise..... having said that people have different preferences....
I normally use solid elastic and simply wouldn’t pay between £10 and £15 for elastic....... I normally do four kits for that amount..

Where you paying 10 quid for solid elastic , ? Its normally around 3 quid.

rayner

Reaction score
I've tried all hollows over the years from hydro, Nick Gilbert, KND, MIDI, in fact, most makes. I now use SLIK with a puller.
Now you've mentioned SRG I'm bound to check it out, at the moment I'm convinced hybrid elastics are the best.
What is the lightest they do?

Paste paul

Reaction score
I've tried all hollows over the years from hydro, Nick Gilbert, KND, MIDI, in fact, most makes. I now use SLIK with a puller.
Now you've mentioned SRG I'm bound to check it out, at the moment I'm convinced hybrid elastics are the best.
What is the lightest they do?

They do a 4 to 7 ...... I’ve not used the lighter stuff though
Next one is an 8 to 10.....

rayner

Reaction score
Hybrids, in general, are to my mind better than hollows or solids. First time I saw SLIK on the shelf in the shop I was more than a little sceptical, the shop owner assured me how good it was. I bought some and now it's in all my tops.
It will take a good elastic for me to change.

nottskev

Reaction score
I've been trying to find out what this Slik is like. I'm not far along the road. In fact, I don't really understand what people mean by "hybrid", unless elastics can mate, and even then it must be either hollow or solid, as there is nothing in between, no?

From what I've read, it sounds super stretchy. Am I right to assume it's matched to puller set-ups? I don't use pullers, probably because I don't have to factor carp into my pole fishing other than as gatecrashers. Would you use Slik on a fixed up?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I have Slik no 3/4 flouro light green in 3 of my match kits, it’s fine for my canal fishing. I wouldn’t say it’s any better than any other light elastics. Like all fine elastics it is prone to fraying at the top end and needs inspection fairly regularly.
The most hard wearing I’ve found in low diameter laccy is Daiwa hydro no.4, the yellow one. I don’t use pulla bungs with either.
For heavier work I can’t fault good old Preston hollo no 12 green (which admittedly doesn’t get used as much) but it’s ultimately down to personal preference.
After all, elastic is elastic and I can’t really see how any one, be it hollo, hydro, solid or some kind of core is any better than another?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I have not heard any personal reports on it Kev, My main go to elastics are Preston Hollo and Preston Slip. The nick Gilbert had just been fitted in the other topkits I acquired as spares,yet to try those out, my hit n hold margin poles have a short length of 18 solid, and matrix margin pole has 3 different grades of Drennan bungee,
The matrix will be main go to pole this summer due to gravel pit waters I am fishing, Main pole for canal or commies up north. May even try it on the Thames near me.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I have Slik no 3/4 flouro light green in 3 of my match kits, it’s fine for my canal fishing. I wouldn’t say it’s any better than any other light elastics. Like all fine elastics it is prone to fraying at the top end and needs inspection fairly regularly.
The most hard wearing I’ve found in low diameter laccy is Daiwa hydro no.4, the yellow one. I don’t use pulla bungs with either.
For heavier work I can’t fault good old Preston hollo no 12 green (which admittedly doesn’t get used as much) but it’s ultimately down to personal preference.
After all, elastic is elastic and I can’t really see how any one, be it hollo, hydro, solid or some kind of core is any better than another?

What's the slik like with Dacron connectors Peter, ? I use both dacron connectors and side pullers, have 4 kits with preston slip in light grades but they are on winder bungs. Heaviest hollo is 17h, for far side island /mudline work

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
That's fine, all mine are dacron apart from 4 stonfo connectors, which the light elastics are on ,the light elastics are on winder bungs, this is more a confidence thing, it's in case I pull to hard with a side puller, I have no problems with heavy on side pullers.I know more stress is probably exerted on winder bung if a rogue good fish makes a run. But am happy to stick with bungs for light laccy

rayner

Reaction score
I've not noticed that SLIK wares any quicker than other brands the only thing noticeable are the super stretchy softness of SLIK.
I use it in all my kits from 4-6 right up to 14-16, I don't think they work too well without the use of a side puller.
Extra elastic out of the pole forces you to have too much pole stuck in the air, the pole in the air can put the pole at risk of damage.
My tops are 2.5 metres long and that amount of elastic spreads 500% more than other solids making it at least par with hydro.
The almost 2 and a half metre of 4-6 is soft enough to stop bumping even the smallest fish, a 6oz fish needs a puller because I can't lift the pole.
The 3 metre lengths of SLIK wastes half a metre but I make that up into small loops for hook ups.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
If I hit anything decent on light elastics on winder bungs, I keep the pole low and let the elastic play the fish, after a while you can see the elastic going back into the pole, then it's a case of getting timing right on unshipping to play the fish on the pole, It may take a while but the fish can be landed, .This is best done in open water, There will be instances were there fish goes on a run and you will get snapped off , As a back up I always have my extractor rod to hand in case I have to unship quickly and pull winder bung out and use as puller bung. If I think there may be a few carp possibly turning up I will use double number 6 on a winder bung, this will also land any silvers without launching them out of the water on the strike.

rayner

Reaction score
I never used to use elastic pullers, I always managed before health issues. For me, I always would I opt for lighter elastics, so long as you don't have too much pole in the air until the fish is ready to net the pole is not under too much stress. I would always go for lighter lines, heavy elastics limit me in the hooks and lines I have to use. I have to get down to my top kit quickly.
It doesn't take a genius to work out what balance tackle really is. Before I put pullers in my top kits it was almost impossible for me to use light lines and elastics with the way I am now.

Paste paul

Reaction score
If I hit anything decent on light elastics on winder bungs, I keep the pole low and let the elastic play the fish, after a while you can see the elastic going back into the pole, then it's a case of getting timing right on unshipping to play the fish on the pole, It may take a while but the fish can be landed, .This is best done in open water, There will be instances were there fish goes on a run and you will get snapped off , As a back up I always have my extractor rod to hand in case I have to unship quickly and pull winder bung out and use as puller bung. If I think there may be a few carp possibly turning up I will use double number 6 on a winder bung, this will also land any silvers without launching them out of the water on the strike.
I never use pullers ........ I’m not knocking them but I have my own way of doing things....

Paste paul

Reaction score
I've not noticed that SLIK wares any quicker than other brands the only thing noticeable are the super stretchy softness of SLIK.
I use it in all my kits from 4-6 right up to 14-16, I don't think they work too well without the use of a side puller.
Extra elastic out of the pole forces you to have too much pole stuck in the air, the pole in the air can put the pole at risk of damage.
My tops are 2.5 metres long and that amount of elastic spreads 500% more than other solids making it at least par with hydro.
The almost 2 and a half metre of 4-6 is soft enough to stop bumping even the smallest fish, a 6oz fish needs a puller because I can't lift the pole.
The 3 metre lengths of SLIK wastes half a metre but I make that up into small loops for hook ups.

I’ve tried the slik and I agree with most it’s really good stuff