Masterline John Wilson Signature Avon Quiver System

A

ANTHONY GARSIDE 2

Hello My wife has bought me one of these superb rods for Xmas at my request but can someone please give me some tips on how to use it as I am basically a flyfisherman who is just getting started with the artform of coarse fishing I thank you all in advance and seasons greetings to one and all

J

jason fisher

you basically have 2 rods in one, a variable strenght quiver tip at 11 or 13 feet, and a float rod at 11 or 13 feet.

use the quiver tip when ledgering the tip stiffness is indicated by the colour, use the softest you can get away with the tips are 1, 2.5 and 4oz.

the other section can be used for float fishing or on a bite alarm if you have one.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Anthony. If you give a little more info area of country target species type of water you plan to fish. We will be able to give a little more advice.

A

ANTHONY GARSIDE 2

Thank you Jason and Bryan as my job takes me all over the U.K. I will be carrying this rod with me and therefore will be fishing any available waters in the vacinity as for target species I enjoy fishing for all types the only thing I have not targeted so far are the larger predators i.e.pike and zander I have watched John Wilson catch pike on this rod so I know it is capable because of living in a conservation area we are not allowed to have satellite or cable T.V. so Icannot get any tips from H&L fishing so any further tips would be appreciated Anthony.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Would not advise it for pike Anthony.

The rod will handlw lines to 6Ib with no problems.

For the feeder use a running ledger rig to start usfull wherever your fishing River or Stillwater.

use the stright top for float or touch ledgering.

If your ever near Blackburn or the Ribble then get in touch and i will gladly meet you.

andrew_b

Reaction score
Sorry to butt in ...

I too received a JW Signature Quiver, however there were no instructions :)

Does anyone know what the TC of each tip is ?

ByNasty

Reaction score
Anthony,
I've just bought my second one of these as I think they are an awesome piece of kit. I use mine with the avon tip for legering using bobbins for all my gravel pit tench and bream fishing and also chucking smallish method feeders out at your standard carp ponds. I can also say that the quiver tip is excellent for chubbing and barbel fishing and i've even had some very good perch fishing a running rig with worms on the lightest tip (the red one I think. My only criticism is that the tips aren't rated and i can't remember which is which.
Any idea which one is which Jason?

J

jason fisher

1oz. 2.5oz and 4oz i can't remember which is the soft one and which is the stiff one but the yellow is the 2.5

ByNasty

Reaction score
In that case i think the red is an ounce and green is 4oz. Thanks for clearing that up Jason.

F

FLUFF CHUCKER

Hi all and thanks for all the replies I have just asked my local tackle dealer how to do this and the answers are from stiffest to lightest green yellow red to double check this for yourselves hold the quiver tips on a table top with the end ring on the table and see which bends the furthest this therefore has to be the softest

ByNasty

Reaction score
Thats much simpler than my cacky handed way of puttin it on the table and and tying a piece of line to the end eye and addin weights (They all seemed to have the same rating. D'oh!)One simple tip stored in the memory banks, cheers fluff chucker!

F

FLUFF CHUCKER

thanks are due to my tackle dealer at the tackle box billingham 01642 532034

J

James Townsend

I think you've got a very, very, good all round rod there. I've seen a 10lb barbel & a 16lb carp landed safley on one of these rods and at the other end of the scale I've used mine trotting for grayling. I don't know what it's rated at but I use reel lines from 2lb to 8lb with no problems. I would recomend John Wilson's book 'Coarse Fishing Method Manual' ISBN 0-7522-1099-8 published by Boxtree. I reckon this is the best instruction manual for those new to coarse fishing (and a few old hands may learn something new) - ?25 new but maybe you could get a second hand copy from ebay?

Jeffrey Telford

Reaction score
Just bought one of these awesome rods, totally impressed. used it today for the first time targetting carp on the surface with a small controller and bread crust. Well... caught 3 of the beasties each over 8lb with no problems. I would recommend one of the JW Avon/Quivers to anyone who is looking for a workhorse for small carp ponds. Only one small gripe, could be better with sliding reel seat rather than screw down seat as I struggled to get my small freespool reel to secure correctly. Other than that a GREAT rod.

Harry Paxton

Reaction score
The Avon will take lines up to 10lb max (JW has used these. I would have bought the Barbel JW sig rod these are rated 15lb main line, so 18lb would be ok, ideal for ALL course fish including Pike.
I have 6lb on one spool, 10lb 15lb which makes it a truly great all round cheap rod.
Tight lines.
H

Chris Bettis

Reaction score
I have recently purchased this rod and find
that it is a superb multi use piece of equipment.
I use mine with the extension butt and
couple if with a centre pin reel (an old
Spedia, which is better than any of the
modern centre pins) for a lot of float work
(yes I can cast off the reel) and with a
small fixed spool reel (and old Abu Cardinal) with 6lb and 8 lb lines for
just about everthing else.
It is very difficult to fault and as it gives you, in effect, 4 rods in one is very,versatile.
Quiver tips - red, yellow, green, going from softest to hardest. A pity they are not marked but east enough to remenber.

Y

yoggy

I was told by a masterline salesman at my local tackle shop when the new version came out [a few years ago] that the quivertips were as follows Red=1oz,Yellow=2oz and Green=3oz. So I always went by this. Draw your own conclusions?.

Barbusdel

Reaction score
I have checked my quiver tips by hanging weights on them.
Yellow 1.5 oz red 2 oz green 3 oz

Del

D

david bruce 1

I too had to check my quiver tips to see which is the softer etc. and as I use several different tip rods and the colour coding is not consistant , with some red is soft with others green, I have marked the tips with 1- 4 (some come with 4 tips) bold dots of liquid paper (Tipex). It dries nice and quick. No bankside puzzling now.

R

Roto Fryer 1

i too have had one of these rods for a few years now. highly recommended