Centrepin Sizes

Michael

Reaction score
Hi All,

Can anyone please tell me which centrepin size / diameter is recommended for someone new to centrepins? I have come across one thread which mentions a 4" for beginners but the rest generally discuss brands. I am looking at the Leeds end of the market and there seems to be an entire selection of sizes available.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
i think that the size depends on how big your hands are,generaly reels come in sizes
from 3 1/2 upto 5 1/2 ,i personally find the 3 1/2in ones a little small and my 5 1/5in centre-pin a bit big sometimes but in all fairness i don't think that size
really matters,see if you can have a hold of one in the shops and see which one feels
right and comfortable,the only way that the
actual size does matter is that a reel of
greater diameter will pay off more line for
a given distance and you can retreave line
quicker so its not that inportant of a deal
most people go for a 4-4 1/2in reel which
actually fits quite well in the hand when its fitted to a rod butt.

as for which reel to get the leeds are ok &
start to spin with little effort,there's is
the shakespeare Lincoln it may look and feel cheep and plasticly and it is but it
is also a very good reel that takes very little effort to get it spinning.but the best budget priced reel is the okuma vt002
pro version (bronze coloured) they retail @
?80-?90 but can be brought at less than half that off ebay (i got one for just over
?40+p&p)from a trader who puts a few on for
sale.see here most sell for around ?50 ,i
keep a watch on them just in case i can get
me a bargin the bidding normally starts low
and rises on the last 48 hours of its sale
time listing.

a tips for you if buying from a shop.
pay no attention to how long it spins for
do check for any wobble
check it spins smoothly
(this next ones a little harder to determine)
try to determine how much force is needed
to start it spinning(initial inertia)

i hope some of this is of help

Michael

Reaction score
Hi Chavender,

Many thanks for all the info. Really nice to get a simple answer that covers all my questions.

Derek Lewis 5

Reaction score
hi all,the only thing i will say to what stephen had to say is that you can still pick center pins up off of boot fairs or junk shops ocassionaly the paint on the reels will be worn but that dont matter as long as it spins ok and you get a good ratchett on it,ive got 5 old center pins most of them i paid between ?30 and?50.also you may need a couple of spares of the same make in case one packs up.good luck.derek.

J

john ledger

Michael
I have used centrepins for the last 50years on and off from midrange to very expensive one Leeds,Stanton, Aerial,Youngs and i would suggest the 4in dia as the one to buy.
The larger dia ones are ok but if you retrieve to quickly you will get line twist(thats if you are trotting)
Keep the amount of line on the drum to minimum to stop bedding 30 to 50yds max and because you do not have extra spool with the pin you would be advised to use something like 4lb on drum and come down in size on the business end ie rig set up. In my case its 2lb.
I have my line coming off the top of the reel as most Northern pin anglers do,some have the line off the bottom of the drum,its a matter of choice.
The set ups i am giving you are for trotting on rivers

Michael

Reaction score
Hi John,

Thank you for the extra info. I actually like the idea of a 4 inch leeds reels - something traditional British made. I noticed that there are two types the leeds and leeds calssic - but which one to buy.

Am I better to look for a reel with a line guard? - John Wilson recommends (in one of his numerous books) adding your own if your reel does not have one - Is it essential?

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
first of all take a look here at the two of the leeds reels Leeds Centre-pin reviews

line guards are there to prevent the line
from wrapping itself back behind the reel in windy conditions,some people like them
other's don't,they can get in the way when
casting (especially wallis casting)and it
also depends on how you have your line come
off your spool off the top i don't think a
line guard is needed,but if you have it off
the bottom then line wrap can sometimes be a problem .

personally i don't bother with a line guard
my rolls-royce special didn't have one and
neither does my okuma,if i had a problem
with the wind i'd probably switch to a reel
say a closed face reel for lighter lines &
delicate stickfloat fishing,or i could also
let my float run on till the end of my line
(30-50 yards)then wind it back on so it now
comes off the top off the reels spool and
then carry on fishing.as i feel the extra
expence is unnecessary but if you get one
thats removable that would be good.

Michael,please take a look at this Article there is a bit on
making your own line guards in my article
plus other usfull info,its not quite done
yet as it turned out bigger than expected ?

i hope some of this is of help to you.

Michael

Reaction score
Wow Steven. Brill just what I was after. I went google blind looking for info on centre pins. Not so much an article more of an ebook. Answered all my questions especially like the casting section with video. Many thanks.