Centrepin doesn't spin

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Yes it should....

I bought the 'TFG' version of this reel a few years ago in an emergancy as I'd left my usual pin at home. (£100 if I remember right???)

It spins endlessly, I'd send yours back and get a replacement if I were you.

Good reel though......... Very good for £30!!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Nick

I too bought one of these this week and it has a problem. Phone them and ask to send it back, shouldn't cost much even 1st class. They will replace.

It may only need a bit of oil and some freeing up. On mine, I think the rear bearing isn't set right, it spins freely when the reel is vertical, but much slower when held on it's side. They said they'd inspect and replace so fair play to them. I don't mind if they insert a new bearing properly and return it.

It's a fantastic reel for the money.

BTW: just send it first class and get proof of postage. RM now insures letters/small parcels up to £41 so more than enough to compensate you if they lose it.

Last edited:

Catfishingham

Reaction score
Nick, I haven't owned a pin, only multipliers. I checked their website and their ad says to judge a pin by how
long it spins! Send it back!!!!!!!
Tight lines, Cat

Nick Lynch

Reaction score
Nick, I haven't owned a pin, only multipliers. I checked their website and their ad says to judge a pin by how
long it spins! Send it back!!!!!!!
Tight lines, Cat

Judging by the length of time it spins, it aint that good. I've emailed them and now waiting for a reply, but I will be in the post office tomorrow.

Gutted, I was looking forward to using it at the weekend. Just glad I didn't put line on it.

Cheers guys

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Don't feel too bad Nick, when they send you a replacement, hopefully it will be a good 'un and you'll be cock-a-hoop with it (to quote Larry Grayson).

The most you'll get as a free spin is between 45 secs and 1 minute, maybe slightly longer, but for £30 that's good enough for me. My Kingpin will go for over two minutes but the spool is much heavier adding 2½ ozs to the weight of the £30 job - also draining your wallet of a further 230+ coin of the realm.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
you shouldn't fret ,the few that have shown up faulty have all been minor , poorly assembled reels its known as the friday effect ,things made monday too thursday are ok ,but by friday workers are watching the clock ,not what they're doing so tend too over tighten or missalign things praying for the bell too ring too finish work & start their weekends

George387

Reaction score
skippy as steve says I wouldnt fret, I know for fact that nearly 8000 of these reels have been sold by dragoncarp in the last month and a half & this is only the 3rd Ive heard of with a problem.

All great manufacturers have problems...even rolls royce look at the engines on airbus!

irfonminnow

Reaction score
skippy as steve says I wouldnt fret, I know for fact that nearly 8000 of these reels have been sold by dragoncarp in the last month and a half & this is only the 3rd Ive heard of with a problem.

All great manufacturers have problems...even rolls royce look at the engines on airbus!

Are they made in China as well now?
:D

I have a Chinese-made built-cane flyrod. I needed to do a little work on the handle, but it's a lovely bit of kit for the money. I can quite believe these centrepins are great value.

IM

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Mine arrived today. Its OK...pretty much what I expected for £30 to be honest. It will do as a back up but it wont be the one I reach for first. Doesn't look like an X-Pin to me...looks like something that's supposed to look like an X-Pin.

For £30 it will do....but that's about all. There's nowt wrong with it but I shan't be putting this on my trotting rods.

---------- Post added at 18:44 ---------- Previous post was at 18:40 ----------

Dragon Carp phoned me this morning, they're replacing mine (Centrepin) with a new one and the guy says, it works perfectly!

Whoooooohooooooooo!

Well he would,wouldn't he ? He'd have to be some serious kind of muppet to say otherwise. Still...at least they replaced it so fair play to them. I've had some right squabbles with some firms over reels that were clearly faulty.Didn't want to know but I am a difficult ****** to get rid of at the best of times !:D

Correction : It DOES look like an X-Pin. I've just stripped mine down accidentally [ I loosened the screw and it fell to pieces !] and given it a dab of oil and it runs better now. Good enough...but I shall need to carry a screwdriver now and I dont like the look of that gap between the spool edge and reel foot.

Update : I'm increasingly impressed.I've been messing about with it all evening,adjusting the central screw,wiggling things etc and I've got it going very nicely indeed now. One thing it certainly did need was some oil as straight out of the box it was as dry as a nun's gusset. From a tad underwhelmed I'm beginning to accept that this is a real bargain, particularly if you fancy trying a centrepin but dont want to spend a lot in case you dont get on with one.

Last edited:

bakieboy

Reaction score
i,m not sure this is a coincedent but i had not heard of these real until saturday (27/11/2010) when in Sainsbury had a look in the Anglers Mail and read about this reel in a section about best tackle of the year. I took the details and googled it. Got links to mainly dragoncarp and fishmaigic. After reading Fishmagic there were some iffy reviews but for £30 it didn't seem to bad. I checked out the Dragon Carp website and the reel doesn't seam to be there. Any one else has the same problem?:confused:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I checked out the Dragon Carp website and the reel doesn't seam to be there. Any one else has the same problem?
YES, I'd done a write-up (review) on it and was about to put it up, looked on their website for the link to include and ....... it's no longer there.

Shame because Geoff Maynard fancies one now. He saw mine at the Itchen and acknowledged it was performing better than his old Relum. I enjoyed using mine all day, performed really well.

Tell you what Bakieboy, if they don't come back on in the next couple of weeks, try for an Ikonix on Ebay, same reel but a shade more sheckles. Still a bit of a bargain though.

George387

Reaction score
They have been taken off the website as they do not have any in stock and their next shipment isnt until February so to save all the hassles they have removed them until then. :)

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Good to know they're coming back in though.

I've had to make one small mod to mine. It's the ratchet for some reason. The spring piece kept falling off the triangular piece and then wasn't clicking. This didn't happen when I first got the reel, it started last Thursday but here's the trick.

You want a small 6mm bore fibre washer (Stainless would do too) not more than 14mm wide in total. Remove the spring, easy, and the triangular piece and put the washer over the stud. Replace the other pieces and that's it. OK, you now see a fibre washer, but it works fine now.

I was thinking, perhaps on some of yours out there if there is a washer or something around that stud? Mind you saying that, the triangular piece sits ever so high and I wonder if the rotating stud is fitted correctly.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
The first thing my Marco Fandango reel did was to spontaneously dismantle itself which did put me on my guard a bit. That said once I put it back together I noticed that the pawl sat a bit high on its...er...stud thingy so I think its likely that they are all like that.It just looks like a bit of shoddy design work to me and does need something doing to it or its going to fall off at a really inconvenient moment but its really the only niggle I have with the reel. Big Phil [who also had one] is looking at a proper modification to the ratchet pawl and he's an "ingineer" so I'll post whatever he comes up with if its radically different from your washer trick.

Not surprised they're out of stock.Unbelievably good value and its about time Maynard retired that squeaky old thing he uses....and bought some fags too !

Ex non-smoker indeed !

Last edited: