bite indicators

BARNEY SIMPSON 2

Reaction score
i have used quite a few diffrent alarms from fox to steveie nevs and at the moment i am using gardener alarms nice looking for the tackle tarts,good battery life,loud,waterproof i know this as i dropped 1 of mine in the lake still working fine have used in the freezing snow & driving rain to hot hot sunshine in france look about for a good deal,pukka alarms in every aspect
tight lines.

Morespiders

Reaction score
All get yourselve's some Optonics iv'e had mine since they come out and only had to change the batteries, fished summer and winter with them, rain and snow, frost. I have seven of them, allstill working if you take good care of stuff it last.

Day Breamer

Reaction score
I use 2 x Shakespeare Cyrpy alarms, and happy to do so.

I mainly Bream/tench fish on alarms with hangers, and i watch for the visual detection, the only time the bite alarms take over is if im making a tea or looking over my shoulder at some jogger ^^.

So the Shakeys do their job perfectly, they are just an added indicator, not the main indicator, in situations like that any alarm will do, i can see why some people may want top quality if they are away from their rods or not neccesarily staring at the bobbin all day tho.

Different things for different situations.

Keith M

Reaction score
Why would you want to beat delkim I thought they were alarms not drums /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

I have various alarms and all of them have served me well, I bought my first alarm in 1970 a Heron alarm and I bought my first optonics in 1979, I gavethem to my son about 10 years ago and they are still goingfine, an alarm is an alarm which does a simple job and if you want topay extra cash for a better quality one with all the bells and whistles thats fine but if you look after them and theydo what they are designed to do thenmost alarmsare good alarms arent they?

Mind you, I'm glad we don't have to vandalise public phonesand steal their speakers anymore /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Nick Lynch

Reaction score
Fairy liquid bottle top, exceptional performance, small cost. /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gifYou just have to creat a lot of washing upo for the mrs, and before you know it, you'll have a brand new one everytime./forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Keith M

Reaction score
Does anyone remember the silly little roofsthat we used to use to keep the rain outof the alarms beforewe could buy ones that were more waterproof? or the silicon spray we used to seal the circuit boards with to keep the rain out?

I'm glad we no longer need to do those things./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Reaction score
Morespiders, I used my SuperXL optonics on the river yesterday! Had them about 20 yrs and still going strong. I have a trio of Delks which are fixed on buzzer bar but rather than keep taking the on and off to fish separate banksticks I am quite happy to use the optonics.

I wouldalso much rather pick up a pair of thse on fleabay for 10-15 quid than buy any of the currently new 'cheap' alarms. Don't forget the cheapes ptonic was 17-50 when it came out, and by the time the superxl was realeased it was in the 50-60 quid range. 20 years ago that was a sunstantial investment in an alarm.

Nick, be very, very careful with washing up bottle tops. I used them once 'coz everyone was raving about them. First run was a screamer, the top flew up to the rod, flipped over it and caught the line from the other side. A very large crack and bye bye fish. Also bye bye to washing up bottle tops!/forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif

Day Breamer

Reaction score
Whatever happened to using a 2p piece balanced ontop of the spool witha metal tin underneath the reel, fish runs... 2p falls off into tin, tin makes 'ding' sound...

Ok so that might be like really old or something /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

Keith M

Reaction score
I used to occasionally use an old tin plate and lean a fork or spoon over the line before buzzers were available the noise the fork made on the old tin plate used to stir me from my slumber. trouble is the wind used to setthe forktumbling on its ownso false bites were common. plus the odd baked bean stuck to the plate didn'ty help either.

That tin and penny thing would have been better