Feeder rods-Light, medium , heavy

colsmiff

Reaction score
This may sound like a naive question, but can anyone shed light upon the supposed differences between light medium and heavy feeder rods? Is it casting weight?
Also:
What is a wincklepicker?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A winklepicker is a short tip rod.
I have an 8' Dam winklepicker, which I used to use for fishing down the side of the canal with. Although I have used it from time to time for chubbing in tree laden undergrowth.

Beecy

Reaction score
Aaahh the trusty old winkle picker! saved me from many a blank in winter leagues.

E

EC

Yes Col, simply that mate!

Light feeder rods will cast comfortably, say up to 1.5oz for example, med up to 2.5, heavy 3oz and over.

Often (but not always) the lighter rods will also have the most sensitive tips.

colsmiff

Reaction score
So do the quivertip ratings (1oz, 2.5 oz etc) relate to the casting weight or is it the "test curve" of the tip? For example, will a 1.5 oz tip be able to cast a 40g feeder plus the groundbait it contains without breaking?
Is there any sort of rule which says the maximum weight that should be cast with a specified tip "weight"?

E

EC

''So do the quivertip ratings (1oz, 2.5 oz etc) relate to the casting weight or is it the "test curve" of the tip?''

I am not sure mate, but I use it as a rough guide to casting weight, although you can often cast more!

I would say set up your gear and fish light to start with, in comparison to the rating on the tip, then step things up slightly to say a bigger feeder or lead, this way you get a feel for what is what and you will understand what your tackle is capable of.

I have cast out feeders much heavier than the weighting on the tip, its just a case of knowing your own gear, and taking your time.

Beecy

Reaction score
The ratings on tips are the test curve, or at least it used to be with the old screw in type.