Waggler and Stick Floats.......

dezza

Reaction score
I went around 3 local tackle shops yesterday looking for mmy favourite types of float.

Drennan Crystal Insert Wagglers in a wide range of sizes. All they seem to carry nowadays are loaded wagglers WHICH I CANNOT ABIDE!

Also fairly heavy sticks up to 6 bb fo fishing the Trent.

Again no luck, I think I got the last of **** Clegg's stock before he closed his shop in Barnsley.

What I've had to do with the wagglers is get the peacock type which I cut out the weight and epoxy the ring back on the float. But it's a damned nuisance.

Please let me know where I can find my favourite floats?

Please?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited:

little oik

Reaction score
I am not keen on loaded floats either.However I bought some Cralusso rocket lights a couple of months ago .I like the idea or the interchangeable tips on them. However I had to carve some of the loading off so I could adapt them to my style of fishing . They only allow 1grm of shot on them so by the time you use a waggler attachment and a swivel you are down to the realms of .4grm of shot to load it .As the floats are a min of 10 inches in my opinion they can only be used in 5ft of water and more .4grm I find wasn't enough weight so dependant on the size of them I took off between 1 and 1 and a half grm off the loading They now work a treat and cast so much easier than a normal float ,and are still very sensitive. I bought a couple extra and have taken more off them so I can tweak the shotting in case there is a big surface drift.
Why do companies still persist with large loading on floats I would much prefer a 50% loading on larger floats .Perhaps they are not listening to what the angler requires and its far easier to produce weights in a few given sizes

dezza

Reaction score
You are right Oik, the tackle shops and the manufacturers of float are certainly not listening. In one of my local shops the owner moaned that floats don't sell. I should think not considering the **** he was stocking. Drennan make some of the best waggler floats in the land, WHY do the shops fail to stock them?

Loaded floats are totally unnecessary. I want to put the right loading in the float myself. Not only that but you can't rig the lift method properly with a loaded float.

I hope the tackle dealers are listening to this.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Drennan make some of the best waggler floats in the land, WHY do the shops fail to stock them?

It probably has more to do with Drennan's pricing policy Ron than anything connected to the tackle shop owners.

I am intreagued though to find out what makes them some of the "best floats in the land" seeing as it is simply a piece of plastic tubing with a piece of thinner plastic tubing stuck in one end . . . . . . hardly rocket science I'd have thought.

dezza

Reaction score
Well Peter, they certainly are not rocket science but to produce them with any degree of accuracy takes some well thought out engineering. I'm not interested in Drennan's price structure as I find +- a quid a pretty fair price to pay for something that works.

And I fail to see how unweighted wagglers could be more expensive than loaded ones.

I'll give Pete Drennan a call. He'll probably send me a thousand that he can't sell.

---------- Post added at 02:42 ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 ----------

Oh and why are Drennan superior? Get hold of any other make and you will soon find out.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Their pricing structure is more like a Resale Price Maintenance system where no one shop can undercut the Drennan price, or it used to be when we had a Drennan account.

Good luck talking to Pete Drennan, I understand he lives in Mauritius these days . . . . . . Dave can give you the number if you don't have it.

As this is post number 9,999 you can stick one of these :eek:mg: > > > THERE!

PS, did you put in a bid on the Barder?

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
I quite like loaded floats, loaded drennans in particular at the moment. The tips are always bright, and the puddle chuckers can be hooked on and off which I like as well

little oik

Reaction score
sorry to go off topic for a moment . As for tackle companies listening ,I think some do but only through deaf aids with the volume turned down .
I sent Korum an email concerning an adjustable arm that swivelled so you can have a brolly fixed to your chair etc but at a 45 degree angle(Korum day shelter and chair syndrome ) .This was last year at some point Cant remember exactly when though .Needless to say I didnt get a reply ,eventually I gave up and purchased a fox one and low and behold they are now (Korum )advertising that they have just brought one out .I know they are extremely busy (chasing back orders etc )but it would have been nice to get a reply of either we will look into it or watch this space .As for drennan I would have thought that their finger was a bit more on the pulse so to speak .
It could be that as some of these products cannot be attributed to large catches so therefore they are worried in this highly commercial world that the right advertising will cost money :wh

Robert Draper

Reaction score
Not only that but you can't rig the lift method properly with a loaded float.

It depends on the float, I use the lighter Drennan loaded insert wagglers a lot as they seem to sit with 2-2.5 inches of tip showing with no extra shot. A couple of leger stops either side to lock the float in place does nothing to load it and so I can put a couple of No1 shot further down the line for bite indication. I do make my own floats as well though, nothing beats an old fashioned peacock waggler with a cane insert.

As for stick floats, I used to love the Middy Base-Bats for chubbing on the Trent. These new fangled glass sticks are not as good.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
hi mate,
get your self over to billy clarkes (or give him a call) he sells every type of float you could think of (more running line floats than pole!) and stocks all the drennan range.
hope that helps.
this is the only shop I use now as he still gives you that old fashioned service that most don't give any more.

mark

barbelboi

Reaction score
I went around 3 local tackle shops yesterday looking for mmy favourite types of float.

Drennan Crystal Insert Wagglers in a wide range of sizes. All they seem to carry nowadays are loaded wagglers WHICH I CANNOT ABIDE!
Please?

Seems down to tackle shop preferances Ron - there are plenty of unloaded Drennans around my neck of the woods and if it wasn't for your thread I would never have known there was a problem in other areas.

PaSC (failed)

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
It is simply down to the tackle shop in question.

Drennan have a unique ordering system that even a chimpanzee could master.

A large sheet with pictures of each product and a box beside it to fill in how many you want. It is that simple.

Now I work with several chimpanzees, and they can all understand it.

As regards to the 'Lift Method', Ron is right of course. You might set up a loaded float and get lift bites...but that is not the Lift Method ( note capital letters!), which requires ALL the weight, in one piece, 'on the deck'. As perfected by the Taylor brothers and written extensively about by their friend **** Walker.

There is a slight difference of opinion between the writings of **** Walker and John Wilson on the Lift Method, with the latter seeming to believe that the float must fall on its side and take the weight of the dislodged shot as it does so.

I struggle to accept this concept, feeling that the fish must initially, albeit briefly perhaps, bear the weight of the shot for the float to move in the first place.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
IC......from what I understand the float can only move IF the weight on the bottom moves in the first place!
This may well be caused by the fish sucking the bait or even drift but I (also) fail to see how the float can 'support' anything if it is in the process of lifting up through the water....

The original Lift Method (as I understand it) comprised a length of quill fixed bottom only fished a couple of feet over depth (min) with sufficient weight to just hold bottom when the float was tightened so it just cocked....
In this state,how-with the line at a serious angle between weight and float-can the float support the weight when the weight is dislodged-its not possible IMO!!......However the fish CAN support the weight momentarily IMO!!

I have just looked in Still Water Angling by Walker and page 160 shows the perfect set-up and even better another book Successful Angling co written by Walker/Taylor/Falkus and Buller not only gives an excellent picture of the set-up but also gives a first class written explanation on pages 107/108.

I have no idea what John Wilson is saying and as I haven't read his notes on the subject I cannot possibly comment.....(it also causes agro!)

No doubt someone will offer some explanation of his ideas and I hope that happens......it doesn't do to be pedantic around these matters and I'm always willing to learn AND BE PROVED WRONG!!!!

ps I must say its very nice to have an interesting subject to discuss.....even it its been done to death in the past!!

Last edited:

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
Ah, now JW does go on to say it can be fished over-depth ( after saying accurate plumbing-up is paramount !) and the bait 'walked' across the bottom, to entice tench.

I suspect it is best to accept that both methods are a variation on the 'Lift'.

The passage by JW appears in his book 'Go Fishing Techniques' if you have a library nearby. I find his books pretty good and frequently refer to them to see what he says on a subject. They are far more detailed than the TV shows on tackle and techniques.

Dave Slater

Reaction score
The crystal insert wagglers are probably my most used stillwater floats. I cannot see the need for the loaded ones as the unloaded ones cast very well and I like to use the lightest float possible. I often get away with the 3 No 4 size and it is surprising how many more bites are converted when using this size compared with the larger ones.
Being able to replace the insert with a Drennan mini night light in a matter of a couple of seconds is a very big plus as it saves having to retackle as dusk falls.
I can't see why you have a problem with the Drennan floats Peter. Why do they need to be fancy and complicated?
I love them as they do what it says on the tin and I catch a lot of big fish using them.
Most tackle shops stock these floats but if your local tackle shop does not stock them several of the big tackle shops do them by mail order.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't see why you have a problem with the Drennan floats Peter.

My point Dave was by way of questioning Ron's comment that "Drennan make some of the best waggler floats in the land,"

As I said, it isn't rocket science is it, one piece of thin plastic pushed inside another of slightly larger diameter.

I even went as far as to search out where Ron could buy some as well . . . . . . .

I own a few of them in my float box in both in the loaded and unloaded patterns, I just wouldn't go so far as to say they are some of the best floats in the land, that's all.