Marco Cortesi centrepin

craigytees

Reaction score
Hi, was wondering if anyone else has had a go with the cortesi pin yet? saw it in AT last week and thought for 30 quid must be worth a try. i usually go to the local tackle shop for everything but this time had to go to dragon####, and was pleasantly surprised. Went for a cpl of hours trout fishing on wednesday on a little stream nearby and the reel was a bargain. Nice smooth runoff, good ratchet and excellent while playing line off with the current. anyone else had a go?

barbelboi

Reaction score
Hi, was wondering if anyone else has had a go with the cortesi pin yet? saw it in AT last week and thought for 30 quid must be worth a try. i usually go to the local tackle shop for everything but this time had to go to dragon####, and was pleasantly surprised. Went for a cpl of hours trout fishing on wednesday on a little stream nearby and the reel was a bargain. Nice smooth runoff, good ratchet and excellent while playing line off with the current. anyone else had a go?

Hi Craig - try this thread

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/...i-centrepin-reel.html?highlight=Marco+Cortesi

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Yes; if you do a search you'll find loads of opinions. [edit:]Aha, Barbelboi just did!
My two penn'orth: There was a bit of metal dust in mine, so it won't hurt to flush the bearing out with lighter fuel and re-lube (sewing-machine/hair clipper oil is good).
The spools tend not to be too well-balanced. Give the reel a spin, lie it flat in your hand, if it wobbles, then find the bit that always ends up on top as it stops spinning, and either stick a bit of "heavy metal" putty (or similar) to it, or drill a hole opposite, to balance it up. I've gone down the putty route.
Lastly, the handles are very near the edge of the spool; if you hook something big enough to run, mindyour knuckles!

guest61

Reaction score
There are few pieces of gear that have generated so many words. From 'high end' centre pin users that view it with contempt and many others that are suddenly engineers.

One can pick over any piece of equipment critically but I'm going to give one a season of use.

I've got some 10lb line on one and I'm going to try and use it for a fair bit of fishing this year.

I will report back.

chav professor

Reaction score
I wonder why spinning a reels at hundreds of revs per minute really should relates to how a reel will perform when fishing - a demonstration of smoothness?

I should imagine having handled a Marco Cortesi reel - it will fish as well as my J W Young.

My only gripe is that it does not have a drag which i find useful for trotting. if you can afford it, look no further than a J W Young - they are superb. But if you can't, would a Marco cortesi let you down? probably not..... How can they make them at that price - incredible.....

barbelboi

Reaction score
I wonder why spinning a reels at hundreds of revs per minute really should relates to how a reel will perform when fishing - a demonstration of smoothness?

I should imagine having handled a Marco Cortesi reel - it will fish as well as my J W Young.

My only gripe is that it does not have a drag which i find useful for trotting. if you can afford it, look no further than a J W Young - they are superb. But if you can't, would a Marco cortesi let you down? probably not..... How can they make them at that price - incredible.....

[FONT=&quot]I’m as pleased with my J W Young pin as the day I bought it . I also give my 70’s Leeds an airing from time to time just for old time’s sake, and it still does what it should. Therefore I’ve not really had the urge to try anything else although I’m sure the Marco Cortesi is incredibly good value for money.

[/FONT]

watatoad

Reaction score

I have several different manufacturers reels including Youngs. But after a little tinkering followed few evenings spinning the Marco Cortesi, it starts when I blow on it very important for the slow East Anglian rivers a brilliant reel at the price, which does make me question just how much profit some suppliers are making

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Another reel which is a bit of a bargain is the Lincoln. It has a weird bearing system; there appear to be a couple of floating bushes in which the spindle runs, and it grumbles and roars alarmingly, but its start-up inertia is very low, and it trots very well. It's resin, so it is no beauty, but it is blissfully warm to the touch in winter. The only down-side is the shallow arbour, so it can be a handful in a side-wind - but, of course, it retrieves quickly. Anyone managed to wear one out?

guest61

Reaction score
Marco Cortesi Centrepin

We have a market economy and freedom of choice - I don't want to come across with inverted snobbery saying that a Marco Cortesi 'Pin is every bit as good as something many times its price, unless its the same reel with a different label.

I have bought one for Barbel fishing, Margin fishing for Carp on a river and a very occasional bit of Pike fishing - largely using static baits. I bought it in favour of a second hand reel on ebay with the following points in mind.

- It has a relatively wide spool in comparison to a Grice and Young reel that I was watching on ebay.

- It has crawled out of China - and that makes it a cheap purchase - lots of things come from China.

- It has no history of misuse.

- I wanted an additional reel rather than mess about with changing lines for different styles.

I could use a fixed spool reel - my choice is not to do this.

I have put some line on it and put it on a 1 3/4lb TC rod and armed with a range of bomb weights I have found that I can cast it comfortably and consistently to the distances that I intend fishing. Much to the amusement of the youths on the local playing field - (incidentally when I gave them the time of day they were refreshingly interested when I explained what I was doing).

As many have said here the reel runs smoothly - the sealed bearings on this reel will outlast my time on this planet, no matter if they are 'inferior quality' to those used on 'higher level' reels - but if someone wants to debate bearing quality in relation to fishing reels, it is my opinion they have too much time on their hands.

As a group, its my opinion that here on FM we're a bit disbelieving of the value for money that this reel provides hence the interest. However, If you don't need one or prefer a certain manufacturer then that's freedom of choice. However, If you want to be critical, be fair about it and criticise everything that you buy to the same degree.

Mark

watatoad

Reaction score
Slightly off topic has anyone other than me tried the Zen Master?

ultra light funny looking but to use one, rather nice on the slow waters I fish.

chav professor

Reaction score
Re: Marco Cortesi Centrepin

We have a market economy and freedom of choice - I don't want to come across with inverted snobbery saying that a Marco Cortesi 'Pin is every bit as good as something many times its price, unless its the same reel with a different label.

As a group, its my opinion that here on FM we're a bit disbelieving of the value for money that this reel provides hence the interest. However, If you don't need one or prefer a certain manufacturer then that's freedom of choice. However, If you want to be critical, be fair about it and criticise everything that you buy to the same degree.

Mark

I am yet to hear a negative comment - only glowing reports that it performs well beyond expectations! one of my fishing mates bought one and I was very impressed.... It is a centre pin style reel with bearings, is more than adequately smooth to get going with even a slow/moderate flow.

I don't know why a reel is judged on its spin time? Casting off the reel 'wallis style' I find what is traditionally referred to as a 'true' pin a little less firery and easier to cast longer distances.

Watatoad - I was alos intriqued by the Zen masters - they look impressive from the Youtube footage I have seen.

As for a Chris lythe - they are stunning, but I couldn't justify the money at this time in my life (children are expensive)....

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Not tried the reel but I've met a few Zen Masters on the bank:D

Mark : You are SO right about the MC reel.That's precisely why I bought one despite owning half a dozen pins already. Its not an engineering miracle but for the sort of work you mentioned [precisely what I bought mine for] or a back up that I dont have to worry too much about droppping in the mud its brilliant...and a bargain at twice the price.

My ONLY niggles with the MC are the ratchet assembly which is frankly **** and an annoying habit mine has of the central screw loosening.I could stick it in place I suppose but as this is the only way to adjust the spool tension & thus how freely the spool spins I am loathe to.

---------- Post added at 21:48 ---------- Previous post was at 21:45 ----------

As for a Chris lythe - they are stunning, but I couldn't justify the money at this time in my life (children are expensive)....

Not only are children expensive but you can't stick em on E-bay & get your money back if they dont suit. Oh how I wish sometimes .....what on earth was I thinking :eek:mg:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Personally I'd rather save up a bit more coin and get an okuma. There's very often okuma centrepin reels for auction on fleebay and the sheffield (or any of them) blows a marco pin out the water...well imo it does.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
I have a Sheffield and it is superb [better than either of my Youngs] but as backup/starter the MC is hard to fault. It does solve my long running niggle of having to respool with different line depending on what I'm doing.

At this price it allows people who would like to try a centrepin but dont want to shell out loads in case it doesn't suit to have a go. A bloke I work with has just done precisely that after having a looksee at mine. I suspect a lot of these have been bought for precisely that reason.

Its a decent entry level pin that's outstanding value.Its not a great reel but its not pretending to be one.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a Sheffield and it is superb [better than either of my Youngs] but as backup/starter the MC is hard to fault. It does solve my long running niggle of having to respool with different line depending on what I'm doing.

At this price it allows people who would like to try a centrepin but dont want to shell out loads in case it doesn't suit to have a go. A bloke I work with has just done precisely that after having a looksee at mine. I suspect a lot of these have been bought for precisely that reason.

Its a decent entry level pin that's outstanding value.Its not a great reel but its not pretending to be one.

I really like my sheffield but I wouldn't go as far as say it's better than my youngs reels :eek:. If I had to choose between the two it would be the youngs for me...especially my older Purist :).
I reckon most of the marco pins will get used once (if that) then stuck in a cuboard or shed etc, just like most other pins since the majority of people just don't get on with them and buy them on a whim.

watatoad

Reaction score
Re: Marco Cortesi Centrepin

I am yet to hear a negative comment - only glowing reports that it performs well beyond expectations! one of my fishing mates bought one and I was very impressed.... It is a centre pin style reel with bearings, is more than adequately smooth to get going with even a slow/moderate flow.

I don't know why a reel is judged on its spin time? Casting off the reel 'wallis style' I find what is traditionally referred to as a 'true' pin a little less firery and easier to cast longer distances.

Watatoad - I was alos intriqued by the Zen masters - they look impressive from the Youtube footage I have seen.

Chris Lythe for me its the time factor, with the addition I do not think it is worth the money asked.

I have several friends who are more than capable of making a couple of identical copies of any reel within a few days probably with even closer tolerances than any manufacturer might. After all its not such a big deal making a centrepin all pretty straightforward really.

I do accept however for some a Chris Lythe reel is a work of art and has soul, they are entitled to their opinion.

I tend to use Youngs either a Superlightweight Y2084SL or a BJ lightweight or on odd occasions a John Wilson Heritage I have to admit having a few pins. I judge my pins by how much I feel I can carry weight wise, not very much most days I am sorry to say.

I intend to post some reel reports on my website very soon. By the by I don't sell anything just test the odd bit of tackle and write it up. I made the website up just as an independent guide for anyone who wants it nobody gives me anything and nobody pays me to test anything and I am not involved in the angling trade in any way shape or form.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
I really like my sheffield but I wouldn't go as far as say it's better than my youngs reels :eek:. If I had to choose between the two it would be the youngs for me...especially my older Purist :).

Perhaps better was the wrong word.What I meant was that the Sheffield was a smoother runner than either of my Youngs though I prefer the more traditional look/feel of the Youngs.The Sheffield is heavier too but its still a damn fine reel.But of all of them my "go to" favourite pin is without doubt a Greys Bewick. Proper pin too...not a bearing reel.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
hi,
There are a couple of reasons I have ordered a pair chris lythe pins...they are hand made with pride in BRITAIN!
Sorry, but I dont live very far from used tackle and i have been a couple of times with with mates, and the thought about the poor souls that are making this stuff makes me shudder!
I know alot of tackle is made in the east now but most companies have decent working conditions and pay the workers decent pay.

mark