First Pole Advice?

jimj40

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting myself a pole for the first time. I don't know how much I'll use it but it will be mainly on the river.

Being a cheap-skate I don't want to spend over a ton (preferably less) especially as I suspect I won't use it much.

Any suggestions (preferably printable!), please?

jimj40

Reaction score
That's a tricky one as I won't say "no" to anything that wants to hurl itself onto my hook! In principle, there are big roach/rudd/perch/bream/tench there with plenty of eels and some large carp (not that I've connected with any of them yet) around.

Beecy

Reaction score
6-7 metre whip often does the damage in the witham matches these days, bit tricky to master though for a novice.

I know from your previous postings Jim that you like to fish Tattershall. I like to pole fish there, I generaly fish a line about 7-8 metres out, just at the bottom of the nearside shelf with the pole at 9.5-11 metres with a long line of about 6 metres so you can almost run through right down to the end of the peg. You do need a fairly good pole though for this to be comfortable but if you can strech your budget to 200 youd get one that will be ok.

No. 6 elastic, 2.6 bayer mainline & 1.7 bottom should be ok to get most fish out you are likely to encounter.

Good floats for this style are the drennan Turbo say 0.75g with not much flow, up to 1.5/2g in winter with flow.

Jim, if you fill in your profile/activate your email I'll gladly give you a shout and have a day at Tatt's with you later on in the season, I like to get down there October onwards when the weed has died off a bit and the roach are shoaled up round the bridges.

jimj40

Reaction score
Beecy - have done it.

I don't know why you'd want to wait until later in the year; at the moment it's fishing well - 100lb+ bags of weed are commonplace and in some stretches you can almost see some water!!!

jimj40

Reaction score
Meanwhile......any recommendations on a decent but inexpensive pole?

J

Jeremy Preston

I'm in a similar position, trying pole fishing for the first time. Maver do some top class poles in the ?250-?450 price bracket. I bought myself a 13m Nebula a few months back, haven't used it much mind you, but it's a nice piece of kit. Fosters of Birmingham are doing them for ?250 at the moment.

F

Fred Bonney

Have a look at the Shimano Nexave Jim, one of them at 11m is about ?100.

jimj40

Reaction score
S

sam tooth

even though this is maybe a bit too out of your price range i would storongly recomend etting a strong pole if there are some eels and carp in your river i would strongly recommend a middy carp baggin machine. i bought one a couple of weeks ago and it is a dream to use at 7-8m like you were saying you would fish. i bought mine from bennetts for ?170 with a match top 2 and 2 power tom 2's rated to ove 22 elastic it came with a cupping kit, 2 elastication packs and a carry bag. this is the strongest pole you can buy anywhere i think. but is definiately worth a look: https://www.bosfish.co.uk/PRODUCTS/POLES/my571pole.htm
:p:D

Andrew Turton

Reaction score
I can totaly recommend the maver nebula.
It comes with a good package of spare top two's and a cupping kit. I have used mine quite a bit and it can handle bigger fish as well as small silvers. But go to a tackle shop where you can try one at full length. Best not to buy one blind from the internet.