Preston Innovations hooks to nylon

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
I started to use these hooks about four months ago, as my knot tying skills are pretty basic and my eyesight not brilliant if I forget my glasses. There have been a couple of occasions where a fish has taken off and the line failed at the hook knot (spade hook) I had previously put this down to incorrect drag settings on the clutch but yesterday I lost two decent fish under slightly different circumstances. In both cases I had let the fish run and only tightened when they approached snags, both fish were within three feet of the bank but not yet surfaced and neither had been "hauled in" as I was only fishing 6lb line & hooklength with the new Maver 10'0 2 piece float rod. Again the rigs failed at the hook (there was no curl on the end of the hooklength to suggest the knot had undone) and the line and float ended up in a tree on the latter break. Am I doing something wrong?

Any ideas welcomed

Ian

barbelboi

Reaction score
It a bit difficult to assess unless it happens to you personally (and not knowing the make up of the bottom of the water) but two possibilities are, a dodgy batch (if it only happened with that batch). The other being that PI hooks are tied to reflo power line which is low diameter for the breaking strain and isn't the most abrasive resistant of lines.
Jerry
PS you say you were using 6lb main line and hook length, I assume that you mean .15mm 5lb.14oz bs reflo?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
You say you were using 6lb line-is this your main line or what the pre-tied hook is tied to??

If you were using 6lb hook length it must have been in a pretty bad state to just part, unless you were really 'holding' the fish away from the snags....
If the float ended up in a tree then the line must have been under severe tension??

I'm not a lover of spade end hooks with heavier line and, IMO, I think a better knot is produced with eyed hooks but that is a peronal choice.

As you say, had you failure occured at the spade then a 'curly bit of line would still be visable which is very odd...

Some bright spark will haver the answer!!

ps What size hoks are you using with the 6lb line??

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
sounds like the fish had found a snag which you could not see and the hooklink snapped ..
what species of fish do you think it was?

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I use these PI hooks about the same BS and no problems , My son However was using very similar hooks but Maver after he lost 3 carp without them even being snagged we concluded a bad batch and changed them all

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
what species of fish do you think it was?

Common carp, low double at best guess

[/quote]
PS you say you were using 6lb main line and hook length, I assume that you mean .15mm 5lb.14oz bs reflo?

If you say so Jerry, it says size 14 to 6lb on the label ;)

---------- Post added at 01:06 ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 ----------

You say you were using 6lb line-is this your main line or what the pre-tied hook is tied to??

If you were using 6lb hook length it must have been in a pretty bad state to just part, unless you were really 'holding' the fish away from the snags....
If the float ended up in a tree then the line must have been under severe tension??

Size 14 to 6lb line, I had already changed hooks once. Having lost an earlier fish beneath the platform I was trying to keep this one out so the line was under some tension.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I'm suprised the the hook didn't straightened before the line parted...

Nothing is written in stone but for me I don't find a 14 hook to 6lb bs line a very good balance anyway but I suppose it depends on what bait you're using....

I also agree the rod (a float rod at 10' long?) is possibly not the best to keep decent fish away from snags but maybe its all you have...I suggest float rods by definition are generally 'top' action (not really suited to holding big carp away from snags) and a rod with more 'through' action may absorb the considerable pull of biggish carp a lot better..

Obviously if the line/hook/knot is not 100% then it matters not a jot what rod you have!!

Last edited:

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
I also agree the rod (a float rod at 10' long?) is possibly not the best to keep decent fish away from snags but maybe its all you have...I suggest float rods by definition are generally 'top' action (not really suited to holding big carp away from snags) and a rod with more 'through' action may absorb the considerable pull of biggish carp a lot better..
I do think a 10 foot rod might struggle to 'do everything' when chasing such large carp.

I think I suspected this may be the case, as I don't recall it happening with either my 13'0 float or 11'0 avon, never saw this point being raised when the rod was reviewed in the angling press though :rolleyes: