Low Cost Pins, which one to get

paul80

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am looking to get a Centerpin

Trouble is I cannot afford something like a Youngs Purist so would be looking at some of the Sub £100 models that are now doing the rounds

Two that have caught my eye are the

Marco Cortesi Mk2 at £40

and the

TF Gear one that is now on offer at about £50

Which of these two is the better reel, I know they are not going to be build to Youngs standards but from what I have read they are not that bad, so was just wondering which one is the better one to get.

Or are there any other ones out there worth a look at.

Thanks for any help

Paul

sam vimes

Reaction score
You might just find that the Marco Cortesi, TFG and Ikonix pins are pretty much the same reel with a different name on the side.;)

paul80

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply

They all actually look quite different, so I doubt they are all the same and just badged differently

Paul

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
They're the same reel so buy the cheapest. Provided you accept the build quality will not be top drawer the original MC is perfectly good enough as a starter pin if that's all your budget will stretch to. If you get on with centrepins [not everybody does] then buy a bit better next time. A second hand Okuma would be a good buy too. Nice reels & much better build quality than the MC.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Down the ages, 4" seems to have been settled on as the "standard" size for a 'pin, so I'd suggest the Cortesi Mk1 unless you're sure you need bigger.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd steer clear of cheapo pin's...not worth the hasstle. Save a bit more cash and get something decent from the start. The okuma sheffield, okuma aventa pro, greys bewick are three pin's of very good quality which you can pick up up for around your budget or well below it on occassion.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I'd steer clear of cheapo pin's...not worth the hasstle.
With regards to the Cortesi, I'd disagree strongly. For it's money it is reasonable quality and I like using mine now in preference to a Kingpin costing over £300. Also, if he blows best part of £100 note on what you suggest and then doesn't like it, he'll be in big trouble with his wife. The Cortesi will always be useful as a standby even if he buys a better one later.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
With regards to the Cortesi, I'd disagree strongly. For it's money it is reasonable quality and I like using mine now in preference to a Kingpin costing over £300. Also, if he blows best part of £100 note on what you suggest and then doesn't like it, he'll be in big trouble with his wife. The Cortesi will always be useful as a standby even if he buys a better one later.

If he was to get fed up with a okuma pin at least he'd get the best part of his coin back, a second hand cortesi's worth ball all. Blimey you can't even remove the drum on the cortesi unless you have a screw driver in your pocket. I can't see that screw head lasting to long either. Best thing for the cortesi is use it as a leger weight or better still don't buy it :D
Jeff, if you prefer your cortesi to your kingpin you must have a bad example of a kingpin.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Jeff, if you prefer your cortesi to your kingpin you must have a bad example of a kingpin.
No, It's a damned good Kingpin, but perhaps what I have is just a good example of a Cortesi.

Also, I'm not blinded by any prejudice towards UsedTackle /Dragon Carp or their products. I look at and value things as they are rather than with blinkered eyes. Even friends of mine with far more years experience than I can proffer have thought it was a really decent quality item regardless of the price.

I can't see that screw head lasting to long either.
Yes, just like the 3/8 BSF screws you find on landing nets and banksticks never wear out, do they? :eek:mg: :wh

Don't know why you'd want to keep removing it, mind.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm with tigger on this one I'm afraid; buy the best you can afford that has a probable re-sale value rather than the Cortesi that has little or no value second hand, other than as a leger weight!

I said on previous reviews that I'd love to see a Cortesi after being used every week for a few years, I doubt they will stand the test of time.

There are currently on e-bay loads of Purists and a Bob james 'pin at about 150, and literlally dozens of much better reels than the Cortesi around 100.

Still each to their own, as usual

S-Kippy

Reaction score
I'm with tigger on this one I'm afraid; buy the best you can afford that has a probable re-sale value rather than the Cortesi that has little or no value second hand, other than as a leger weight!

I said on previous reviews that I'd love to see a Cortesi after being used every week for a few years, I doubt they will stand the test of time.

There are currently on e-bay loads of Purists and a Bob james 'pin at about 150, and literlally dozens of much better reels than the Cortesi around 100.

Still each to their own, as usual

Peter

I understand what you're saying but I dont think resale value has anything to do with it if your budget does not stretch to a "top of the range" pin....and I dont propose to define what that is.

So far as longevity is concerned you're probably right but anybody who buys a Cortesi for its investment value is stone bonkers. At £30 if it only lasts 2 or 3 seasons I suggest it owes you nothing...if it lasts "a few years" then it will have been a bargain IF you get on with a centrepin.I'd rather find out I didn't having forked out £30 than £250...and the MC is perfectly good enough to do that.

Its a cheap,entry level pin of no great quality which allows people who might want to try one the opportunity to do so. It is actually a much better user than it has any right to be for that money. Its unfair I think to compare it with reels costing 3-4-5 times more.

Skippy

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I understand all of that S-Kippy; the point was though that if the chap didn't like it, or decided he just didn't like the method, then the resale of a 30 pounds reel is gonig to be next to nothing, thats all.

One of my favourite centrepins is one that I paid 35 pounds for at auction, and I've used it and used it for many years, even though I have Purists etc.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd rather find out I didn't having forked out £30 than £250...and the MC is perfectly good enough to do that.
Skippy

The budget wasn't £250 it was £100. There are often okuma sheffields and aventa pro's selling for between £50 and £60 in mint fettle so why bother with a second rate tool ? ....just my opinion of course :).

By the way I have nothing against the people selling the cortesi. At the end of the day they seem to be fillling a nich...good luck to them :).

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Ok I was exaggerating a bit to make a point. I agree... if you can get an Okuma for £50-60 it is a far,far better bet [and reel] than the Cortesi. I have an MC...its one of the better examples and it sits on the subs bench spooled with heavy line just in case.I dont really like it though but that's just me being a tart because I have several other better pins.

As for budget I got the impression that Paul didn't really want to spend as much as £100. If he does then its no contest....forget the Cortesi & go for an Okuma or a second hand example of summat better. I got my Bewick 2nd hand for well under £100 and its a fabulous reel.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
You can still get s/h Youngs Rabidex/Trudex and G&Y D'or / Golden Eagles cheap, under £50.00

Surely they would be better starting reels the MCs ?

And will have a better resale value if the user is interested in Centrepins and wants to progress ?

Bob

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And will have a better resale value if the user is interested in Centrepins and wants to progress ?

Bob

Trouble with me Bob is that I keep most of them rather than selling them on as I progress LOL. I don't think i've got anything like the number you have, if I remember rightly you've gone berserka ! I think I have 23 in my cabinet now and I love em all :w::D :w

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
then the resale of a 30 pounds reel is gonig to be next to nothing, thats all.
Yep, just like this one and I reckon it will make about £25 by the time it finishes. Total loss - £5, not bad for a trial. Some have even sold for more than the £30 retail, a mug around every corner, as they say.

And just as a personal feeling, I think my Cortesi handles slightly better than a G&Y and feels better than a cheap-end Okuma, not sure about the Trent one though, but that's another price league again. Sorry, but I love mine and I've no intention of using it as a leger weight.