reel for masterline avon quiver

Clive Carter

Reaction score
Can any one help i just bought masterline avon quiver i was going to use a shimano 6010 Aero GT. when fitted to the reel seat it does not feel that secure i dont want to over tighten as it may break the reel seat.

A local tackle shop recommend a Okuma baitrunner interceptor (which i must say is a great reel) had carp to 12 pound on 4pound line with no trouble.

iam looking to do some river fishing, theirs chub and barbel not sure of size of the fish. will this reel stand up to river fishing.

cheers clive

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Clive.
The rod is a good one. But be carefull when you are screwing the cork reel seet down (top half).
The cork here is quite thin and can split easily. If it does split, wrap a piece of insulating tape around it like the rest of us do.

Christer Sjaunja@

Reaction score
It most probably will. The most critical thing when fishing bigger fish is always the clutch. Backwinding has not been in practice in my country since the abu cardinals came to market in the 60:s so I learnt a little trick to test the clutch already when I was a little kid. Put line on the reel and attach it to your rod. attach a lure or a hook to the end of the line and hook onto something. Pull the rod towards you so the clutch will loosen line, slowly turn the clutch harder and harder until you are virtually at the breaking point of your line. The clutch should run smoothly even when very tightened and not letting line go in intervals. If that works you have a good clutch.
The only bad thing I have heard about the Okuma interceptors is that the paint flakes so if you need a reel with baitrunner they look like a good buy.

scrupes

Reaction score
I have only had one okuma 'runner and it was worse than the daiwa it replaced! the line lay was , well let's call it poor!, the anti reverse worked great at first... then clicked? ( caused by a strange square piece of white plastic?) the drag was not as good as a shimano and would stick (like the Mitchell Spools of many moons ago).
The final straw was when the handle spindle wore through the maingear after about 8 months use, The dealer gave me a full refund tho, so not all bad! since then i have had no confidence in Okumas and stuck with the trusty 5000 shimano's for all but the most extreme fishing, but dont let my one bad experience put you off as they look and feel the dogs ....

the smaller numbered shimano's should fit better in your rod as they are a smaller frame and seat.

tight lines!

blankety blank

Reaction score
Clive,

I've got two of these great rods.

You don't want anything bigger than a 5000 size shimano though.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Clive, I have the Masterline 'Wilson' Avon Quiver and I use a Shimano Sahara 3000 with it most of the time.

It fits perfectly and is well balanced but I'm sure one of the Okumas will fit just as well.

Best bet is to take the butt section with you and try different reels if your looking at a new purchase.

Yacko

Reaction score
My new shimano stradic 4000 rod fits my avon signature OK - total puts the rod to shame though. When tightening the reel on it makes sense to pull the reel into the oposite support and take the load off the winder/ handle- if that makes sense. I think splitting the handle is down to not knowing this trick (or being hand-fisted)
No excuse for it really.
If I was using a 5000 reel I would probably be using a carp rod.

B

Bob Lancaster (ACA)

i have 2 avons and regularly use two shimano,s 3500 and 5000 bait runner no probs with mine at all great combo,s mind you only useing the 5000 cos i bought it cheap but it handle me chub well