preston prx 4000

john woody

Reaction score
i got it for my feeder work i took it out say not more then 15 times and it started to grind when i was winding in so i took it back and got the procaster witch as been a good reel so far.:D sorry pxr

Last edited:

soffit

Reaction score
Are there any accepted stars amongst the budget stuff? Prefer something that doesn't look like the contents of a tart's jewelry box !

soffit

Reaction score
Twenty quid with two spools. Then you buy two and can get a lot of options for line strength and can fill three of them properly and still got a spare body.

Looking at Shakespeare bronze RD. £13 FOR THE 2000 series.

Currently I have three Fladen Power 100 fixed spools. They cost £3.15 each including a box and some 6Ib line:) If you are very careful the proper line you install won't end up wrapped around the front drag or behind the spool where the grease will reduce four pound line to a 4ozs breaking strain. It might seem daft but I quite enjoy the cranky little buggers... and they are a very satisfying black and as light as a feather.

Bluenose

Reaction score
Are there any accepted stars amongst the budget stuff? Prefer something that doesn't look like the contents of a tart's jewelry box !

I've got a couple of abu baitrunners that I've used for nearly 5 years for mainly tench and barbel, cost £40 a piece, probably been used 100+ times no plans to change anytime soon!

I bought a pair of browning 'backfire' reels last year, one on my 9-11 shimano float, another on a quiver rod I use for chub, again so far so good, £30 each.

I got a shaky machIII rear drag fixed spool, £15 ex display model, no bother there either.

I do have quite a few shimano's, including a few match reels and a stradic, but 2 (yes two) of the 6010 baitrunners I have had the same fault with the bail mechanism, the gent at Felindre knew exactly what the issue was without seeing them, standard fault apparently. So paying for the badge is still no guarantee.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Twenty quid with two spools. Then you buy two and can get a lot of options for line strength and can fill three of them properly and still got a spare body.

Currently I have three Fladen Power 100 fixed spools. They cost £3.15 each including a box and some 6Ib line:) If you are very careful the proper line you install won't end up wrapped around the front drag or behind the spool where the grease will reduce four pound line to a 4ozs breaking strain. It might seem daft but I quite enjoy the cranky little buggers... and they are a very satisfying black and as light as a feather.

If twenty quid is all you can spare then you'd be better served making do with what you have until they break. The only way you'll do significantly better, regardless of the make, is with a second hand/ebay/old stock bargain.
Once you get into the order of forty quid or so is where you'll see a significant jump in quality over the real budget gear.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
hi Sofi

I have this reel in the 2500 Shimano Catana FB P3 Reels, had it for about 6 years good as new, now laodsed with briad on my spinning rod

but an older model - ok so it's £35 - but if you can save up I'd go for it

I use the Stradic myslef (tackle tart I know) but to me they are worth the money but if £20 is your limit try SHIMANO HYPERLOOP RB REELS

but have a good look in the shop

I do believe there are some good cheap rods out there Maver Abyss for example - but reels I'd pay as much as you can, save up and go for one quality reel at a time

john woody

Reaction score

fladen should be took to court as its a bag of **** they sell.