Browning Rotator

G

Geoff Dawe

Just bought a new Browning Rotator centre pin with a RRP of ?149 by mail order after reading on the forum that it is better to get a decent reel to start 'pinning', than a cheap one. I expected it to be a free spinning reel for a bit of trotting etc. However it only spins for about four or five seconds and doesn't sound very smooth either. It even has a Made in China label on it. Before I go to trading standards, have I bought a fake or are these reels really like this. Thanks to anyone who can help.

stikflote

Reaction score
well i think it should spin very easy for about half a minute, ,but i think you would have been better off buying an okuma pin also about 50 quid cheaper

W

Wolfman Woody

Keep spinning it Geoff.

It may just get a lot easier. A lot of reels are stiff when you first get them, usually they're trying to get rid of grease between the cogs, but they'll also cut the gearing a lot better to suit themselves.

(if that makes any sense)

I bought a Kingpin years ago and was pleased with the fact that it would spin for almost 30 seconds. After a week of spinning it in my hand, it would spin happily for almost 2 mins.

stikflote

Reaction score
Geoff ,i hope it does wear in for you ,but my okuma,s did not need bedding in they both spin for ages ,and the sheffield seems better balanced it starts spinning straight out the bag

stikflote

Reaction score
Geoff ,i hope it does wear in for you ,but my okuma,s did not need bedding in they both spin for ages ,and the sheffield seems better balanced it starts spinning straight out the bag

Trisantona

Reaction score
Try flushing the bearings out with solvent,then leave to dry thoroughly ,then re-oil with light oil such as sewing machine oil,then just keep spinning it whilst watching telly.!!!should spin for two minutes with a good flick ,if it doesn't send it back...the problem is when buying from abroad the bearings have to be packed in grease,otherwise they can be wrecked just by being in an aircraft hold,the grease then stiffens up and causes poor running,the Browning Rotator should be a top class reel .

G

Geoff Dawe

Thanks to all for your help and advice. I have flushed the reel through with solvent and re-oiled it, and she now spins for about 30 seconds, so I will persevere and spin her up whilst watching Matt Hayes, Paul Young and co. on Real Time TV. Sad really isn't it?
Incidentally I tried all the contact numbers I could find for Browning/Zebco and they are all discontinued numbers????????!!!!!!
Off to fill some sandbags now as the river at the bottom of my garden is starting to rise again.
Regards to all,
Geoff

Trisantona

Reaction score
The Canadian Steelhead fishers are the kiddies for centrepins,they strip em down as soon as theyr'e out of the box,often putting upgraded bearings in before the even try em,then they attach cards to the handles with elastic bands and leave spinning in front of a fan for a few days.!!!!!

M

MarkTheSpark

then they attach cards to the handles with elastic bands and leave spinning in front of a fan for a few days

What a brill idea. I was trying to work out ways to attach an electric motor to a 'pin until you brought up this interesting fact.