How to make boilies

A

Alex Kimber

Can some people give me simple recipies to make homemade boilies please.

A

Alex Kimber

When i made my own boilies before i boiled them and they turned sloppy and into a curry looking sauce.

C

Cider Bob71'PAC'

Erm,your recipe is a little bit vague.
More info please.

A

Alex Kimber

CURRY POWDER(HOT)
pepper
corn flour
ground trout pellets
eggs
water
i had no exact amounts or recipes

captain carrott

Reaction score
try using some thing that's not water soluble.
like semolina or soya flour.

D

Derek Emerson (ACA)

That is about as simple and straightforward as you will get...........

E

Evan NotMightyAtAll

Much though I hate to agree with him Carrot has a good point there..... all water soluble incredients = magic disappearing in water boilies !

My basic boilie mix, cribbed from a half dozen sources, you know who you are, is:

6oz Semolina
4oz Soya Flour
2oz Milk Powder
2oz Ground Rice
2oz Maize or Corn Meal

which by no accident at all works out at 16 oz / a pound / 500g = a four to six egg mix (depending on size of egg).

If you can't get the maize / corn meal then up the Soya or ground rice by two ounces to make up for it. Don't increase the amount of milk powder. Don't go over 8 oz on the Semolina.

Then add your flavourings. Nice easy but expensive chemicals in the one corner, cheap but bulkier and not so easy to handle naturals in the other. If using naturals with liquid (eg. a can of tuna or liquidised sweetcorn) then allow for the fact that the overall mix must have sufficient base and egg mix to 'carry' it. So if a can of tuna or two mixed in takes the weight up by 4 oz / 100g then you need another egg or two in the mix. Plus probably at least another half pound of base stuff above. I wasted a few mixes of base before working this one out.... if its too wet and sloppy then don't even start trying to roll it let alone boil it.

New to this myself and still experimenting but they work and they're cheap ! Comparatively speaking....

Oh, and if you're a paste fishing type then remember my secret miracle additive, Co-op pizza base mix !!!! Mix with trout pellet powder and / or ground up Koi feed pellets, whizz in food processor and as doing so add (a little) very hot water and then stand back. Remember to stop the food processor before it burns out the engine.... it's that sticky !
But still soft and manageable.
Oh, and a couple of drops of food colour / food flavouring in the water, makes whatever colour / flavour paste you like. I have a lot of success with red/vanilla, red/almond and yellow/banana. Red sorts out the Tench, Crucians seem to prefer the yellow. Not tried green yet, may give that a go.

PS. the antibiotics / antibacterial preservatives in the Koi pellets, when ground down and used to make paste, seems to make an everlasting paste that never ever goes mouldy ! Though I do still refrigerate it between sessions, lets not be silly about this, leave it in a hot car for a week in the summer and you get what you deserve. But still, kept with moderate care it seems to last forever ! Though three to four months is as long as I've kept one lump on the go so far....

alan

Reaction score
4 packs of asda cheap angel delight(5p) 1 egg, a few drops of food colouring.
mix to a thick clay like paste.
roll to size and boil for 30secs.
wash off white gunge.

5 packs, 1 egg, and a liquid flavoring if you want.

works for me.

A

Alex Kimber

thanks

also the lake i fish is quite weedy so i dont know if tHAT MEANS I SHOULD USE A SWEET OR SPICY FLAVOUR BOILIE OR IF I SHOULD USE A SPECIFIC COLOUR OR, DOESNT IT MATTER.

C

Cider Bob71'PAC'

Avoid fish meals on a silty bottom as they take on the flavour of silt.
Might be worth using a fairly high attract flavour in order for the fish to locate your bait,but these may blow quickly,especially if your baits are of low NV.
I would suggest you begin by getting some actual food into your baits,ie fishmeal,birdseeds etc.As you can see from the above suggestions its not essential but it would be my choice.
A v basic recipe would be

500g fishmeal/soft birdfood
150g Semolina
150g soya
100g Maize meal
50g crushed hemp
50g wheat gluten

10-15 mls flavouring
2-4 mls sweetener

This is based on an 8 egg mix,will turn out approx a 1.5kg of baits,and will catch you fish short term.
This hasnt got much in the way of HNV at all,but like i said this a very basic mix.

D

Derek Emerson (ACA)

All much better than spending 5/10/15/20 pounds a kilo on the proprietry brands of boilie.......and more satisfaction. Remember, if you want popups, cook them in a microwave, but you will have to play with the times till you get the required result........cook a few at a time till you just get a brown tinge on them, then subtract about 15 seconds from that time.