What reel

David Craine

Reaction score
I am in the market for a pair of baitrunner reels. I am primarily a Barbel fisherman, and at the moment use Okuma Longbows..in the 50 size, which also cater for predator fishing.I have had these for some and they seem good value, but recent Okuma reviews show up problems.I am a bit confused as many conflicting opinions are around re makes and reliability.

So.

For me, reliability is a prime concern, then a smooth clutch, then there is a single handle requirement , and a good after sales service. Cost is not so much an issue, because I want the reels to last for quite a few years . (retiring at 55yrs, see a good few years of angling ahead , wife permitting) I allready have Diawa Regals, so although they are available and quite reliable, they are not in the running.

This seems to leave Browning, Shimano, and Fox, I do know that Penn are seemingly bombproof, but dont know much about them.

Any advice welcomed.

Dave C.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
What ho

shimano is THE name in reels - some on here buy nothing else - the top end is pricey but you say this doen't matter so I'd have a look at shimano myself - can't recomend a model though - only bait runners I have a a cheap pair for the odd bit of carp fishing I do

Tally ho

NIGE K

Reaction score
i have some shimano gtbe reels some fox stratos and daiwa regals all good reels but i have notuseed the penn ones .

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Shimano 3500Bs?

A succesor to the original bait runner and designed for sea fishing in the States.Bombproof if a little heavy seems the verdict but seem to suit your criteria.Icant do links but some decent reviews on the web if you search.

Looking at some myself especially ifI can source them from the States where they are half the cost of here.

David Craine

Reaction score
Thanks lads, I have checked out the Shimano 3500b"s, they seem to fit the bill, I have a friend who is visiting the states in a couple of weeks, she will source a pair for me.... the prices over there are half he UK prices.

Dave.

E

Eric Hayes

Dave, you can get them @ Carters for about £74 eachless if you buy a pair. I got some in June and I love them. they are only a gram or two heaver than the 6000GTE.

Nick Mitchell

Reaction score
Get yourself a the Fox Stratos 7000. Brilliant line lay, great drag, great baitrunner adjustment. What more can I say. Great size for barbel fishing and absolutely bomb proof.

Also have a pair of Okuma interceptor's for piking. Haven't used them much but seem well put together. Hait the carbon spool but can't complain for £40 the pair!

David Craine

Reaction score
I have been thinking about the Stratos, I have a pair of Fox Barbel Duos and may be thought of as a Tackle tart if I get matching reels :0), but yes, they do look up to the business, I know that some question Foxes reliability and after sales service, but I have no complaints so far...if the reels are as good as the rods they should be spot on.

Nick Mitchell

Reaction score
Yeh, I know what you mean about being a tackle tart! lol Seriously I have a couple of 3lb warrior ES rods teamed with the Okuma's and they are excellent for the money.

What are the Barbel Duos like? I am using a couple of Korum Neoteric Quivers at the moment for barbling on the Trent. They work well withheavy feeders.

Fox terminal tackle is always of a high quality too.

David Craine

Reaction score
I cannot rate the Barbel Duos highly enough... recently chucked a 6oz watchlead weight carrying a PVA net bag of Micropellet out into a very swollen River Ribble,that was really tonking through..and took an 11 1/2pounder , The rod coped admirably, plenty of power, but quite forgiving..it also has a quiver tip top section taking several tips of different strengths, making it so versatile...The rod is a 2.75T C, and because it is so rocky I use 15lb line, with the standard top, I Like em.

The ones I have are now out of production..Planned obsolesence I believe, but reading other forums etc they are almost a classic allready .I unerstand that Fox are producing a new version of the same rod, cannot comment on that though.

I team them up with a pair of Okuma Longbows, another pair of reels that are out of production, they match perfectly and I have nowt but praise for them either ...very similar to Epix Pros.

I am thinking of trying the Trent soon,the Foxes should do the trick I hope.

I see you are from West Yorks, same neck of the woods as me.

;0)

Deanos

Reaction score
Aye up David!....as a reet tight Yorkshire lad, when you get your new reels, if you want to flog me your Okumas, give me a pm!....I batter the crap out of mine and havent had a problem!....if it were me I would run em into the ground before getting owt new!

David Craine

Reaction score
Aye Up Deanos,as a reet tight Yorkshire Lad I dont expect to ever batter the ell out of my Okumas...I like em too much.....I just like a variety of owt goin.., an Foxes look OK as well.

;0)

T

teecee

Shimano 110% for me-totally relaible and a pleasure to use-any GOOD tackle shop will help you sort out the model best suited to your fishing!

I think you get what you pay for with reels and as they will last a lifetime with a bit of TLC I suggest you go for the best you can afford.....

Shimano also have a very good service department when you need a repair or just want them serviced.....

I have some 60year old centrepins that are still in perfect nick BECAUSE I look after them and the same goes for my Shimanos which tend not to work if left in the tackle bag covered in mud and water.......................

Good luck for 2008!!

Deanos

Reaction score
Joking apart David, I do have three Shimano's, and could not ask for better reels, well maybe if the stem on the smaller one was shorter, trotting would be more comfortable, but they are brill!

I would also like a go on the Trent next season, but am only just getting to grips with the tactics and tackle that I would need, so maybe another years apprenticeship is needed on the Swale etc.

Happy new year, tight lines, Deanos.

Y

yoggy

Shimano`s 3500b. There isn`t a reel on the market to touch them for being reliable and bombproof as far as I`m concerned.

Unfortunately Shimano 3500b`s do not come with a spare spool,but you can easily buy these for around a tenner.

eric hall

Reaction score
I too would probably go with Shimanos too if money is not a decisive issue. I have many many reels from Shimano, Daiwa and Fox. The Shimanos have the experience and the reputation, in the past they have had the odd bad rap but the newer higher end models are probably some of the best you could get. The after sales is very good too.

I also have the Fox Stratos 7000es, picked up on ebay brand new for ?40 post free. They are excellent and cannot be faulted, perfect for Barbel, small water carping and stalking, plus specimen bream and tenching.

firetiger

Reaction score
get the shimano baitrunner xte in a smaller size.

there that far ahead of anything else there out of sight.

an awsome reel.

MarkW

Reaction score
Shimano baitrunners are the best have a look on ebay you might be able to pick up the older gte model cheap if your lucky.