Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mark Wintle

Mark

Just an idea - I seem to remember reading in one of your posts that you make/have made in the past your own floats- how about a piece on float making?

Evan the Welsh Windbag Guest

What sort of floats are you interested in yr Lordship ?

You never know, you might even spark me into knocking up a batch with some piccys and inspire a first article out of me.... [img]/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif[/img]

Hi Evan - Dam those Welsh rubgy lads of yours!!

Any type of float - I'm a DIY disaster zone- well having all those servants I don't do much DIY but I thought I'd have a g oat making my own floats - probably start with something easy.

Before I even attempt a piece on float making, and I've enough on my plate on the writingfront at the moment, I'd like you to confirm that you could go out and get the basic materials for float making.

In no particular order:

Balsa dowel

peacock quill

crow or goose quills

3mm cane

Rapid Araldite

Polyurethane varnish

Matt white

Fluorescent red/orange

Matt black

Another colour like green, underside grey etc.

A scalpel plus spare straight edge blades

Avery fine tooth hacksaw

Various sandpaper down to v fine.

Hi Mark

some of these I have/can bet easyie sandpaper, hacksaw, paints - can you point me to where I might get the peacock quill, goose quill ect

I don't want to put you to tomuch trouble - it was just an idea of a bit of a side hobby to fishing and drinking-but if it's more effort than worth it I'll stick to buying floats

Here's one i made earlier.

Sir Paul, peacock quill is from a peacock, goose quill from a moose.

Ps Mark what about some brown, and black whipping silk, for that lovely spiral finnish on the stems of the moose quills?.
    Perch and tench record holder, and ACA member for twenty years, and Treasurer of P.A.S.C.

THnak morespider but where do i get these quill without shooting the birds - they aremy star attractionat my safari park -along with te zebera ( donkey with whitewash splashed on it)

M'laud..............Ebay........Crowquills, or look for some road kills on the estates lanes.

Toodle pip.

Sir Paul, Goose quill's from your local wherever, pools ponds lakes, always some lying about , i always straighten mine on a gas ring , by applying heat gently and bending you can get them as straight as a die.

Strip them first using new stanley blade, then scraping any rough bits off after, scrape with the feather grain not against it, then straighten the qills with gas.

peacock quill can be found on e-bay, dont see much in tackle shops these days.

PS Who splashed the whitewash on the monkey?.
    Perch and tench record holder, and ACA member for twenty years, and Treasurer of P.A.S.C.

Other possible suppiers are fly-tying suppliers for peacock quill & crow quills or flower arranging shops for peacock quills. I find some crow quills most years on the river bank, and can get 100 goose quills in a few minutes after the moult in summer around the local pits.

I don't bother straightening quills but do select exactly the ones I want.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast