The Middy Shotgun Feeder

carl pepper

Reaction score
Looks like this is another thing on my growing tackle shopping list! What a great idea, why haven't I seen these before?

wonder if they'll work with groundbait, don't see why not.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Graham, what advantage do you think this offers over using a standard method feeder with moulded pellet?

With the method feeder there is the advatage of the feeder being obscured by the pile of pellets sitting on top of it.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
The fact thatthe bait(hookbait and feed) is lying away from the feeder. When the fish attack the feed they're less likely to give you false bites (common on the method).

The advantage of the method feeder being obscured is only an advantage if you believe that the fish recognise the feeder as danger. I don't think they do, and even if it was true the method feeder is revealed anyhow as the fish pick the feed off it, unless of course they happen to pick the hookbait up first. Picking the hookbait out first from the little pile of feed is more likely to happen with the Shotgun. From my experience of it so far most bites come within seconds of casting in once you've got the fish in your swim.

As the matchmen who invented it say: "they needed a new feeder that delivered pellet bait like a 'dinner plate' away from the feeder."

G

Ged

Looks good. I'll get on to my local tackle shop to get some as he deals a lot with Middy.
I was\going to go down the pva bag/mesh route, but I do like feeder fishing so this could be the answer.

M

Mark Hodson

Very innovative, looks like it could have many other applications too for the thinking angler, yet more weight in the rucksack and less in the wallett!!

Beecy

Reaction score
cant see it depositing the pellets that far away from the feeder underwater, seems a bit too much messing about to me

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
The proof is in the pudding, or in the groundbait in this case, as you'll see when you actually try itas I have. The video at the end was underwater, and there washardly anymore messing about than with any other feeder.

Incidentally, just in casesome cynicthinks this is yet another review by somebody who's had a freebie, I bought the feeders, and I've bought another 4 since.

Beecy

Reaction score
the messing about is the getting (and more importantly keeping for 5 hours) the pellets just right

looks ok in a couple if inches but no way you can know if your getting a consistent effect in 6 foot

mind you, that might be why it worked so well, could have been ejecting mid water giving a nice inviting cloud of loose pellets going down

I'm notsudgesting your wrong or being misleeding Graham, but im allways put off by reviews that go 'I had a shed full when everybody else on the lake were strugling for odd fish' as if its some sort of miracle bait/method

Beecy

Reaction score
Carl, cant see why you couldnt get them to work with groundbait, mightbe a nightmare trying to get it to just the right consistency though

A

Albert Watkinson 2

i have been using this feeder for many months now.i sent away for it because the tackle shop had never heard of it.it is brill but not heavy enough for the river.i must admit my mixing is a bit hit and miss.however there is a place and time when it becomes useful.
albert

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Does the current not wash out the pellets on the river anyway Albert?

A

Albert Watkinson 2

hi nigel, this feeder was designed for the ponds and as such mostly stayed still .the original which i have is light and more so when it begins to empty and will be swept away leaving the food anywhere.i could be wrong about this but i dont like a feeder rolling all over the place.on the ponds it is deadly.
albert

diageo

Reaction score
HI ALL WAS ORIGINALLY INVOLVED IN THE DEVELOPEMENT OF THE SHOTGUN FEEDER, THE GREAT ADVANTAGE I HAVE FOUND IS YOU CAN ACTUALLY FISH PASTE ON THE FEEDER, BY SIMPLY PLUGGING THE FEEDER WITH SOFT OR HARD PELLET HALFWAY, THEN PLACE PASTE WRAPPED AROUND HOOK,THEN PLUG END WITH GROUNDBAIT,CAST OUT AND SIT TIGHT, I HAVE WON MANY MATCHES IN THE THE LAST 7 MONTHS DOING THIS, GIVE IT A GO LADS ITS A MATCH WINNER

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Good tip Gary.

PS Please stop SHOUTING! /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

P

peter webber

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Graham Marsden wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

The proof is in the pudding, or in the groundbait in this case, as you'll see when you actually try itas I have. The video at the end was underwater, and there washardly anymore messing about than with any other feeder.

Incidentally, just in casesome cynicthinks this is yet another review by somebody who's had a freebie, I bought the feeders, and I've bought another 4 since.</blockquote>

If Graham has got his wallet out and paid for these then they HAVE to be good.

I'll be looking out for them next time I'm in a tackle shop.