Chub/Barbel Rod

the_dabbler

Reaction score
Hi chaps,

I'm toying with the idea of getting myself a chub/barbel set up for some sessions on the Dane in Cheshire and smaller rivers in Somerset (possibly v. rare trips to Severn or Avon) as a bit of a breather from carping.

I'm on a fairly tight budget, so was hoping to spend less than £80 for both rod and reel if possible...

I was thinking perhaps the JW Avon Quiver would be ideal, but I'd welcome any other suggestions!

Many thanks!

jimlad

Reaction score
The rogues make an excellent rod for barbel, but I think you should be looking for a heavy feeder type rod. Something like an original drennan big feeder or series 7 competition feeder could be purchased for around 40 to 50 notes on eBay, and would do the job admirably.

Alternatively, the series 7 Avon quiver in 1.5lb test would be ideal - they are close to 100 notes new but shopping around might see you get one for 50 / 60 pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunters moon

Reaction score
:)wychwood do make some truly excellent rods and sell them at
a very competative price i use a pair of their twin tip 13 foot
barbel rods and found them excellent also the drennen series 7
avon quiver 1.5 t/c is also an excellent rod you could also try
one of the greys take a look at climax tackle thay do have some
amazing deals,you could pick up a real bargain.
Tight lines
hunters moon:):).

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you can get a Fox Warrior XT Barbel Twin Tip on offer then have a serious look. It's 1.75lb tc and has 2 full tops, one an Avon, which has handled carp to 10lb and the second tip is a white quiver which is slimmer and more sensitive than the Avon tip. Great rod and I'm really glad I got mine!